March in the Pacific Northwest

Really?

Roads here are about to go under water.

Over 6 inches of rain here this month and 2 inches today alone... and SEA is almost to their monthly average in just 5 days. Not sure how much more it can rain.

Torrential rain moving in from the south again now. It will be dumping rain even at Snoqualmie Pass in 15 minutes and will go most of the night. With such heavy rain on top of all that snow... there is going to be avalanches.

Yea when nobody is out... If I was Jessy I would say something about you not caring about other people. But seriously our snowpack resembles a Colorado one more than PNW one right now, thanks to a really cold weekend & and multiple east wind freezing rain events during warmups instead of rain.

Yea when nobody is out... If I was Jessy I would say something about you not caring about other people. But seriously our snowpack resembles a Colorado one more than PNW one right now, thanks to a really cold weekend & and multiple east wind freezing rain events during warmups instead of rain.

I am sure the snowpack is fine overall.

Although this is more a PNW mountain scene now than a Colorado scene.   ;)

http://s3.postimg.org/xqki0x7oj/090_VC05200.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Next week looks pretty nice on the 18z. Chilly showers transitioning into a pattern of warm days and frosty nights. Yes please.

I second that motion!    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I'll take a PNW ski day any time over Colorado.

Way more snow, longer season despite the cascade concrete.

Vast majority of the ski world disagrees... sounds like a homer statement. :)

Stop being a PNW-bashing freak. Many Cascade ski areas (especially Mt. Hood) are internationally famous. Nowhere else in the lower-48 that you can ski all summer.

Stop being a PNW-bashing freak. Many Cascade ski areas (especially Mt. Hood) are internationally famous. Nowhere else in the lower-48 that you can ski all summer.

I did not make the comparison to Colorado.

Actually lots of skiiers come to the PNW for its backcountry skiing. The only reason why the PNW doesn't have more ski tourism is the simple fact that our ski resorts are not as developed like some places in Colorado/Utah and California.

Lots of people were against Whistler being built (because it was considered remote at the time). Plus some people poopoo the wet snow. Look at how great it is now. Easily one of the top resorts in North America.

If the money, effort, and time were put into a place like Mt. Baker/Crystal Mountain or some other location in the Cascades, people would flock there.

Just saying. Personally though I am glad we don't have bigger resorts. Really steals away from the true nature of the mtns. :D

• Like 1

Actually lots of skiiers come to the PNW for its backcountry skiing. The only reason why the PNW doesn't have more ski tourism is the simple fact that our ski resorts are not as developed like some places in Colorado/Utah and California.

Lots of people were against Whistler being built (because it was considered remote at the time). Plus some people poopoo the wet snow. Look at how great it is now. Easily one of the top resorts in North America.

If the money, effort, and time were put into a place like Mt. Baker/Crystal Mountain or some other location in the Cascades, people would flock there.

Just saying. Personally though I am glad we don't have bigger resorts. Really steals away from the true nature of the mtns. :D

I disagree... skiers prefer dry snow and sunshine over fog and concrete. The money goes where the best conditions exist... its not a mystery. Whistler is farther north so they do better. Tahoe has elevation and sunshine.

I disagree... skiers prefer dry snow and sunshine over fog and concrete. The money goes where the best conditions exist... its not a mystery. Whistler is farther north so they do better. Tahoe has elevation and sunshine.

The same arguments you are using right now are the same ones that others have used prior to the development of Whister as a major contender.

Plus there is not much difference in snow quality between Baker and Whister. And one could argue that Crsystal has better snow than both.

EDIT:  Of course skiiers prefer sunny days. But you can't beat the consistent snow coverage in the Cascades and BC Costal Ranges.

It's all about the condition and timing of the snow. When all is right the the Pnw has some of the best snow in the world. I have snowmobiled all over north America and this area is hard to beat. Mt baker has the best I have ever seen. But yeah it sucks in the fog or rain and snow for sure.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

The same arguments you are using right now are the same ones that others have used prior to the development of Whister as a major contender.

Plus there is not much difference in snow quality between Baker and Whister. And one could argue that Crsystal has better snow than both.

EDIT:  Of course skiiers prefer sunny days. But you can't beat the consistent snow coverage in the Cascades and BC Costal Ranges.

Skiers also like deep powder, which means more frequent snows mean better chances of powder days.

Also, areas that are drier often have to make snow, and I believe most skiers don't like the fake snow as much.  Mission Ridge, near Wenatchee, makes their own snow, since we are on the drier side

I have not done any research... but I am thinking this is has to be one of the wettest first weeks of March ever at SEA.

3.10 inches in the last 5 days... normal for all of March is 3.72

Should easily be over 4 inches tomorrow morning... maybe close to 5 inches by Friday morning.

SEA had 2.7 inches of rain today alone back in 1972.

A 1972 repeat would work just fine for me.  A lot of exciting weather that year.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Well... then that year was probably also one of the wettest first weeks of March as well.

1916 was the rainiest month in March.  9.11 inches.  We've got a ways to go. 

Did not say the wettest March ever... I said one of the wettest first weeks of March ever.    And I bet its in the top 5 after tomorrow.

Been a pretty dry day in my area. We did have a few hours of light to moderate rain this evening but have since dried out again. Currently 52 degrees. Still only 41 in Lynden!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

These fast moving fronts are fantastic.

Not here.  It has just been plain ugly here for days now.  Pretty much endless rain and clouds.  One of the roads I drive home on will have to be closed soon if this doesn't stop.  Already about 4 to 6 inches of standing water in one stretch.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Been a pretty dry day in my area. We did have a few hours of light to moderate rain this evening but have since dried out again. Currently 52 degrees. Still only 41 in Lynden!

Goes to show how ridiculously close the cold air has been.  The tight N to S temperature gradient has a lot to do with how awful the weather has been in this area for the past week.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Not here.  It has just been plain ugly here for days now.  Pretty much endless rain and clouds.  One of the roads I drive home on will have to be closed soon if this doesn't stop.  Already about 4 to 6 inches of standing water in one stretch.

There is a bit of lowland flooding here and there out this way, but some projects the last 5 years in spots has really helped alleviate it.

I am just glad that the the fronts lately are fast moving and that helps with my job and getting things done.

Did not say the wettest March ever... I said one of the wettest first weeks of March ever.    And I bet its in the top 5 after tomorrow.

I didn't say you said that.  You've got to stop reading into what other people say.  You commented on the first week of March; my comment was regarding the entirety of March.

You have a very bad habit of reading into things that are not there. 

• Like 1

I didn't say you said that.  You've got to stop reading into what other people say.  You commented on the first week of March; my comment was regarding the entirety of March.

You have a very bad habit of reading into things that are not there. 

He has a very bad habit of that.

I could only imagine what conversations with his wife are like.

Goes to show how ridiculously close the cold air has been.  The tight N to S temperature gradient has a lot to do with how awful the weather has been in this area for the past week.

EXACTLY.

People keep talking excitedly about how close the cold air is this week... but that has been the problem.    And the reason for this gross weather pattern.

Get that frickin cold air out of here and let the pattern open up.

Roads are about to flood here as well... maybe already have this evening.