February Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Deweydog

PDX spiking to 55 has been pretty heartbreaking. They might even tack on a few more degrees...

We're on the warm side of Arctic front.  These spikes are common with those.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

What a waste of cold

We don't even know how that one will play out yet.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I will be interested to see how the ICON performs.  It shows thicknesses dropping well below 516 again at day 5.  Pretty serious sustained cold.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

18z GFS for tomorrow morning doesn't look too bad for a lot of folks.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_4.png

Most of the models seem to like the idea of some enhancement late tomorrow morning. Might be enough for some brief accumulations in the valley but they'd be pretty short-lived.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

18z GFS for tomorrow morning doesn't look too bad for a lot of folks.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_4.png

I think we'll do fine.  Another thing that has been catching my eye is the snowfall the WRF is picking up on the last couple of runs after the main event for the Central Puget Sound.  The 12z was more pronounced with it than the 0z.  Probably related to cyclonic flow on the back side of the ULL.  

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

By the time the low slides south, there may not be enough moisture available. Looking at the current radar, I would not be surprised if tomorrow ends up being similar, only leading to a dusting or so of snow. Still, where the bands will setup will be difficult to pinpoint outside of watching the radar tomorrow. This Arctic boundary is not particularly impressive with the gradient being driven mainly by the high to the north and not a strong surface low. The best 700mb dynamics are to the east over eastern Washington. Things over western Washington look more orographically enhanced.  

Models have trended stronger with the surface low, though. Looks like a pretty decent gradient to me.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_3.png

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

Most of the models seem to like the idea of some enhancement late tomorrow morning. Might be enough for some brief accumulations in the valley but they'd be pretty short-lived.

I'm hopeful that we'll do a bit better than the usual for these setups in terms of precip due to the low pretty much going right over us.  

Maybe 0-1 inch for most.

Hopefully this is an appetizer for a more substantial event mid week.

Models have trended stronger with the surface low, though. Looks like a pretty decent gradient to me.

attachicon.gifgfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_3.png

Uh ya...We have north winds gusting to 60 in areas north of here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I genuinely can't tell if you are serious or not. 

Was sort of hoping for today to be a little more dynamic than it has been so far. But the pattern is young. I think I suddenly realized how much I have been craving a decent front, and the band of drizzle followed by clearing skies and warming temps this afternoon didn't really do it for me. Not the end of the world. 

I generally take the initial frontal system of a pattern change having some teeth as a good omen for what's to come. But that is probably mostly just superstition.

• Like 1

It amazes me how going into an event that will set record lows and have lowland snow still evokes Debbie Downer posts.  Just blows my mind.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I tried pasting an animated gif I created but could not get it to post.  It is created by going to tropical tidbits and the NW region for the ICON model. Go to 00Z Mon for the Snow total graphic. Create a trend GIF for the last 12 runs at that time.  Look at the consistency. You won't find that with the other models. Now it may be consistently wrong, but so far I've seen some potential for this model.  Meso models are really meant for convection and seem to over mix things. The UW WRF has some other issues. 

Worth noting, I think, that the ICON doesn't show lowland snow really beginning until around 12z tomorrow. And the best period for the Seattle/Tacoma area isn't until the afternoon/evening.

Was sort of hoping for today to be a little more dynamic than it has been so far. But the pattern is young. I think I suddenly realized how much I have been craving a decent front, and the band of drizzle followed by clearing skies and warming temps this afternoon didn't really do it for me. Not the end of the world. 

We've had some crazy winds up here.  Downed trees and power outages in some places.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Worth noting, I think, that the ICON doesn't show lowland snow really beginning until around 12z tomorrow. And the best period for the Seattle/Tacoma area isn't until the afternoon/evening.

It shows precip lasting longer which the WRF has been hinting at.  It appears there will be a couple of different forcing mechanisms as the event unfolds.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Maple Valley and Covington are both mentioned in the 1-4" advisory for the EPSL.

...And Renton, Kent, Federal Way, and Auburn are all left out of the discussion you refer to. This dry slot has been alluded to in a lot of the models this past week. Hope the models were wrong.

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

Tomorrow will be a lot more fun. 

• Like 1

...And Renton, Kent, Federal Way, and Auburn are all left out of the discussion you refer to. This dry slot has been alluded to in a lot of the models this past week. Hope the models were wrong.

Dry slotting won't be an issue IMO.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I generally take the initial frontal system of a pattern change having some teeth as a good omen for what's to come. But that is probably mostly just superstition.

Well, it's sure been dynamic further north. So what does that mean?

Envy is a powerful emotion.

I feel like these posts go together quite well.

Lots of horrible, horrible people here, Jim.

It just gets so predictable.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'm hopeful that we'll do a bit better than the usual for these setups in terms of precip due to the low pretty much going right over us.

Maybe 0-1 inch for most.

Hopefully this is an appetizer for a more substantial event mid week.

I don't think the surface low track is all that important. At this point we're depending on overcoming what will be strong shadowing and mid levels that will be drying pretty rapidly through the afternoon.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.