March Weather in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

18z GFS still looks pretty wet and mild. Dirty ridge paradise.

Yeah... that is other distinct possibility with the upcoming pattern.    That would suck.   I would prefer deep troughing over that. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Well... you said you were looking forward to early April ridging. Logically that means you were planning some activities that are better without being drenched and cold.

It looks pretty decent if the ECMWF verifies.

My spring break was back in the middle of March, so I don’t have anything big planned for early April. Am just ready for a shakeup. A couple crystal clear 70/38 days with offshore flow would be super, maybe followed by some thunderstorms and a sharp cold front.

The muted ridge stuff will probably end up being warm and dreary in the end, unfortunately.

My spring break was back in the middle of March, so I don’t have anything big planned for early April. Am just ready for a shakeup. A couple crystal clear 70/38 days with offshore flow would be super, maybe followed by some thunderstorms and a sharp cold front.

The muted ridge stuff will probably end up being warm and dreary in the end, unfortunately.

Probably right.    As Jim says... spring is usually "unbearable" around here.   That is one of the main reasons.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Good thing we will always have beautys like 2008 and 2011 to look back on fondly during times like these.

Yes... we all have good weather memories to get us through the long stretches of gloomy around here. ;)

Dry and cool upper airmass making it in there. Thank goodness the models trended warmer for us the rest of the week. Bullet dodged!

I cheer for cold air to push way south or warmer air to push far enough north to clear the gunk.    Either way is fine with me. 

Lucky for you... I rarely get what I want.   <_>

Still some snow in the parking lot at the Granite Falls Rite-Aid if anyone’s interested in a late season snowball fight or some snow sculpting.

Absolutely gorgeous!   

Still some snow in the parking lot at the Granite Falls Rite-Aid if anyone’s interested in a late season snowball fight or some snow sculpting.

Someone could integrate that squished cup and straw into the dirty snow sculpture!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I think the Euro weeklies are catching on now.

Weeks 2-5. Watch the NPAC/GOA..week 3 is obviously the transition period:

LH08whK.png

sTeeiYl.png

ECpwLNu.png

TJGj3tH.png

DOg7w6P.png

Thanks for posting. It looks like warmer and wetter conditions in general through the next month. It will be interesting to see how the next month plays out and if the EURO weeklies end up doing good based on how poor it did at times this winter. You're thinking back to cool and troughy weather in May?

Latest thoughts from Brett Anderson.

Winter having a tough time letting go

The coldest air relative to normal in the Northern Hemisphere will likely be centered over the Canadian Prairies and northwestern Ontario over the next two weeks, leading to much below-normal temperatures and even some record cold.

Farther east, the combination of a nearby storm track will lead to a chilly and wetter pattern for the rest of Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes.

The best weather will likely be over south-central and southwestern BC with drier and milder conditions becoming more common.

A breakdown.....

1. The next 10 days will indeed be unseasonably cold across Saskatchewan and Manitoba (potential record lows), but it will also be drier than normal. Spring flood threat still looks lower than average for this season.

2. May be a good time to go to Florida as the pattern down there looks fairly dry and comfortable.

3. Potential for a snow event over New Brunswick and perhaps southeastern Quebec around April 2.

4. Spring may finally take hold for good across the eastern half of the United States after April 10 as the cold upper low over Hudson Bay weakens with hints of a building ridge along the Southeast U.S. coast. A milder period may also get as far north as southern Ontario, but any farther north it may be delayed until after April 20.

Weekly European long range forecast model output interpretation. This model has been struggling as of late. The last panel (April 16-22) directly from the ECMWF looked highly suspect, as if there was a glitch. Not sure what to make of it. I put more weight into other data sources and continuity for the last map that I drew.

590x449_03271502_mar27a.png

590x449_03271503_mar27b.png

590x449_03271504_mar27c.png

April is my least favorite month of the year weather wise, glad I will be too busy moving, etc to notice the crapfest that usually makes up the month. Hopefully we get lucky and get some sunny warm days in the mix.

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Latest thoughts from Brett Anderson.

Winter having a tough time letting go

The coldest air relative to normal in the Northern Hemisphere will likely be centered over the Canadian Prairies and northwestern Ontario over the next two weeks, leading to much below-normal temperatures and even some record cold.

Farther east, the combination of a nearby storm track will lead to a chilly and wetter pattern for the rest of Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes.

The best weather will likely be over south-central and southwestern BC with drier and milder conditions becoming more common.

A breakdown.....

1. The next 10 days will indeed be unseasonably cold across Saskatchewan and Manitoba (potential record lows), but it will also be drier than normal. Spring flood threat still looks lower than average for this season.

2. May be a good time to go to Florida as the pattern down there looks fairly dry and comfortable.

3. Potential for a snow event over New Brunswick and perhaps southeastern Quebec around April 2.

4. Spring may finally take hold for good across the eastern half of the United States after April 10 as the cold upper low over Hudson Bay weakens with hints of a building ridge along the Southeast U.S. coast. A milder period may also get as far north as southern Ontario, but any farther north it may be delayed until after April 20.

Weekly European long range forecast model output interpretation. This model has been struggling as of late. The last panel (April 16-22) directly from the ECMWF looked highly suspect, as if there was a glitch. Not sure what to make of it. I put more weight into other data sources and continuity for the last map that I drew.

590x449_03271502_mar27a.png

590x449_03271503_mar27b.png

590x449_03271504_mar27c.png

That would basically be a continuation of the dominant pattern this winter.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

April is my least favorite month of the year weather wise, glad I will be too busy moving, etc to notice the crapfest that usually makes up the month. Hopefully we get lucky and get some sunny warm days in the mix.

I’m sure Aprils will get much better tucked up against the Snohomish county foothills there.

I want a pony!

This forum would be internet nirvana if Tim moved to Death Valley, and Jesse moved to the summit of the Greenland Ice Sheet.

This forum would be internet nirvana if Tim moved to Death Valley, and Jesse moved to the summit of the Greenland Ice Sheet.

I like trees way too much for that. Tim probably does too.

Our climate in the 1950s would actually be pretty perfect for me. 

• Like 1

I'm somewhat familiar with the area. The mountains rise up pretty quickly from I-5 in those parts. ;)

You do go from around 300ft at I-5 to 700ft in s matter of just over 2 miles so that is true.

Warm, breezy evening out there.   The rain appears to have stopped.  

Taking out the dog just now felt much more pleasant than some of those chilly nights.   :)

Can’t believe how warm this March has been. Constant warm maps from Tim.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Can’t believe how warm this March has been. Constant warm maps from Tim.

Can't believe all the snow in the lowlands.   Many "WOW" maps posted by Andrew. 

Its been a little below normal overall up here.    -0.7 at SEA and -0.8 at WFO SEA.    

A little below normal.    Weak anomaly.    Although not sure how you always cut off the legend on those maps.

A decent month overall.    9 out of 27 days were dry here... 12 dry days at SEA.