March Weather in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Hope the 12Z ECMWF has the weekend correct now... its only a few days away.    12Z ECMWF has sunshine and mid to upper 50s for Easter.    12Z GFS has widespread rain and wind and highs in the 40s.

Big differences between the GFS and ECMWF at just day 6:

ECMWF:

ecmwf_z500a_namer_7.png

GFS:

gfs_z500a_namer_25.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Differences seem to be irrelevant to the long range though as the ECMWF also has a zonal look by day 8.

ecmwf_z500a_namer_9.png

I am think significant wet is much more likely than significant cold right now for early April.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Hope the 12Z ECMWF has the weekend correct now... its only a few days away. 12Z ECMWF has sunshine and mid to upper 50s for Easter. 12Z GFS has widespread rain and wind and highs in the 40s.

Big differences between the GFS and ECMWF at just day 6:

ECMWF:

GFS:

Looks like the same pattern. The GFS is just faster.

Looks like the same pattern. The GFS is just faster.

That is what I was thinking. Hard to argue against the position that the GFS is leading the way. As much it goes against my belief in the ECMWF. :)

After doing a little research, it appears that I was mostly correct about global deforestation trends - tropical areas are trending down while sub-tropical are mostly trending up or steady, at least in recent decades.

0325fao_trends400.jpg

This does not mean deforestation isn't a huge problem today - it definitely is in places like Brazil.

As far as overfishing and overhunting, I probably underestimated the problem now compared to the 1950s - partly just because many species have already continued down the path to extinction since then, and many are still endangered today. It's difficult to say if animals are more overhunted/fished today than 60+ years ago, but there's no doubt that we're further along the extinction path, unfortunately. 

Untitled88.png

Ok, no more off-topic posts for me today.   :)

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

After doing a little research, it appears that I was mostly correct about global deforestation trends - tropical areas are trending down while sub-tropical are mostly trending up or steady, at least in recent decades.

0325fao_trends400.jpg

This does not mean deforestation isn't a huge problem today - it definitely is in places like Brazil.

As far as overfishing and overhunting, I probably underestimated the problem now compared to the 1950s - partly just because many species have already continued down the path to extinction since then, and many are still endangered today. It's difficult to say if animals are more overhunted/fished today than 60+ years ago, but there's no doubt that we're further along the extinction path, unfortunately.

Untitled88.png

Ok, no more off-topic posts for me today. :)

You do realize that South America and Africa represent roughly half of the world’s landmass, yes? And that the steep decline in forest coverage on those two continents alone mathematically outweighs any increases elsewhere, correct?

So my assertion is accurate. Deforestation is a worsening problem on the aggregate, largely thanks to logging in the developing world, despite improvements being made in developed nations. #truthbomb

• Like 1

Correct me if I’m wrong, but weren’t we drawing comparisons to the 1950s? In that context, I don’t see the purpose of posting graphs beginning in the 1970s/1990s.

• Like 1

EPS doesn’t seem to support the Pineapple Express set up for the 8-10 day period. Looks troughier in general.

The week 2 EPS looks closer to what I would expect with a boreal spring equatorward -AAM backcycle/-WPO.

Ridge nearby, cold Canada/NATL. Classic intraseasonal response, unlike the weird GFS solution.

yrp1cy8.png

Eventually there will be enough -AAM transported underneath 30N, in tandem with seasonal preconditioning, to give that EPAC high a kick.

I’m still thinking mid-April.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but weren’t we drawing comparisons to the 1950s? In that context, I don’t see the purpose of posting graphs beginning in the 1970s/1990s.

Feel free to find those graphs. I couldn't. At least I did some research and admitted where I was off, rather than just resting on my opinion.  :)

#researchbomb

• Like 1

You do realize that South America and Africa represent roughly half of the world’s landmass, yes? And that the steep decline in forest coverage on those two continents alone mathematically outweighs any increases elsewhere, correct?

So my assertion is accurate. Deforestation is a worsening problem on the aggregate, largely thanks to logging in the developing world, despite improvements being made in developed nations. #truthbomb

This is not correct. 32%.

#factbomb

We find the silliest things to argue about.

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Antarctica and Greenland don’t count.

#logicbomb

By that logic, large parts of Africa shouldn't count either since, you know, the Sahara isn't forested.

It was a factually incorrect statement that you are now trying to weasel out of. If I tried something like this, Jesse would have a seizure.  :lol:

By that logic, large parts of Africa shouldn't count either since, you know, the Sahara isn't forested.

It was a factually incorrect statement that you are now trying to weasel out of. If I tried something like this, Jesse would have a seizure. :lol:

You are the one trying to weasel out of things right now with silly semantics. Nothing new.

Maybe you guys could take it to PM or a different thread going forward, though.

The week 2 EPS looks closer to what I would expect with a boreal spring equatorward -AAM backcycle/-WPO.

Ridge nearby, cold Canada/NATL. Classic intraseasonal response, unlike the weird GFS solution.

yrp1cy8.png

Looks like it could be a pattern with a lot of cool, dry northerly flow for us.

Looks like it could be a pattern with a lot of cool, dry northerly flow for us.

Could very well be. You probably have a better handle on that than I do.

• Like 1

You are the one trying to weasel out of things right now with silly semantics. Nothing new.

Maybe you guys could take it to PM or a different thread going forward, though.

This is absolutely, patently false. You're falling into the same old trap of judging posts by your personal bias towards the poster, rather than the content. I actually researched and shared nuanced info, and then you respond like this. Weak.

Please stop with these lame ad hominem accusations you always fall back on. I did not use any sort of semantics argument, so don't say I did. It's that simple.

This is absolutely, patently false. There were no semantics. You're falling into the same old trap of judging posts by your personal bias towards the poster, rather than the content. I actually researched and shared nuanced info, and then you respond like this. Weak.

Please stop with these lame ad hominem accusations you always fall back on.

Don’t take things so serious