2/14 - 2/17 Cutter and Panhandle Hook

Clinton

31 minutes ago, Grizzcoat said:

Started here about 30 mins ago. Overcame dry air quicker than I thought but about on par with CAM's.

Been watching the obs and radar near Holdrege,NE--- they have to have at least 8" based on what I've seen.

That’s me. I’ve seen local law enforcement on Twitter with an 8-9” report. Obviously that is unofficial, but just looking outside, I would say that could be possible. A lot of drifting so it will be hard to measure. Still blowing and snowing. Will take awhile to clear this when it stops. The good news is no school today, snow day, and tomorrow was already a day off for state wrestling. 

• Like 2

OMA/LNK are getting rocked in the perfect defo band!  What a nice surprise, ay?  @Bryan1117 @jcwxguy. How much you guys have so far?

@CentralNebWeatherReeled in another Bigly storm!  Congrats bud!  I hope those in E NE and IA score as it looks to me this is tracking a touch north based on radar trends.  I may have to deal with the mix/rn scenario through midday...we'll see.  It's basically going to be a nowcast event for me.  The higher ratio snows are going to fall up in far NW IL into S WI.

image.png@

• Like 3

Just now, Tom said:

OMA/LNK are getting rocked in the perfect defo band!  What a nice surprise, ay?  @Bryan1117 @jcwxguy. How much you guys have so far?

@CentralNebWeatherReeled in another Bigly storm!  Congrats bud!  I hope those in E NE and IA score as it looks to me this is tracking a touch north based on radar trends.  I may have to deal with the mix/rn scenario through midday...we'll see.  It's basically going to be a nowcast event for me.  The higher ratio snows are going to fall up in far NW IL into S WI.

image.png@

Thanks @Tom ,  my part of the area was in the sweet spot for sure. There are going to be some ridiculously sharp cutoffs of snow amounts from a lot to next to nothing over fairly short distances. 

• Like 2

There is already a 3.5” report just a few miles from my place. Looking outside it’s snowing moderate to heavy now. Definitely at least a couple inches so far. And that is really bonus snow from a small band that formed overnight. The main event is just starting to take shape over here. 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Tom said:

image.png@

Finally we ended up on the right side of things. I would say right now we have 1-1/2” to 2” on the ground and it’s ripping out there pretty good right now (probably at 1” an hour rates).

• Like 4
  • Snow 1

6 minutes ago, jcwxguy said:

@Tom just measured 1.5", and its really coming down. most of that has fallen in the last half hour.

1 minute ago, Bryan1117 said:

Finally we ended up on the right side of things. I would say right now we have 1-1/2” to 2” on the ground and it’s ripping out there pretty good right now (probably at 1” an hour rates).

Awesomeness!  Glad to see mother nature throw you a dime for once this winter.

• Like 2

Bigger schools in DSM cancelled for the day--- total joke. If same standards were put in place in N Minny-- kids would be outta school 1/2 the winter. Truth.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Unfortunately, last night's radar showed the "dagger" snow band would hit Iowa City while I got nothing and that's what has happened.  The latest HRRR/RAP suggest Iowa City may end up with 8-10" while Cedar Rapids gets only 3".  Figures. 🤢

It is currently snowing heavily, but it's f'ing impossible to keep heavy snow going here for more than 20 or 30 minutes.  That's why 99% of our snow events are <3".

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

There's a spotter report of 6" in Iowa City.  I'm not surprised based on the overnight radar.  That band must have dumped huge flakes.

• Like 5

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

The dry slot on radar is shooting north toward Cedar Rapids.  The snow will fill in as the upper low moves across southern Iowa, but most models did not have that dry slot getting anywhere near us.

• Like 1

I had 5.5" when I measured around 7:30am. There's probably a quarter inch of sleet in the bottom and there was a bit of freezing mist mixed in when I was outside, with a thin layer of ice frozen on my gauge. Lots of moisture and wouldn't be surprised I'll get an inch of liquid till it's over. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sparky said:

I had 5.5" when I measured around 7:30am. There's probably a quarter inch of sleet in the bottom and there was a bit of freezing mist mixed in when I was outside, with a thin layer of ice frozen on my gauge. Lots of moisture and wouldn't be surprised I'll get an inch of liquid till it's over. 

Great!  It's good to get weather updates from you again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1