Polite Politics

Rubus Leucodermis

27 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Yeah, no, it's the exact opposite of this. Youngkin thought his strategy would work and provide a blueprint for Republicans on the abortion issue as a nationwide topic. It was widely believed that if he was able to secure both legislative bodies in VA that he'd announce he was running for president. Neither of those things occurred and at the moment, Youngkin looks like an idiot.

It was a high risk/high reward scenario that really did not work out well for him at all

He thought he would win, but flopped.

I didn't look into his strategy enough!

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

23 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

No doubt Biden is facing major concerns regarding next year. Even peeling away those bad top-line numbers in those swing states, the meat and potatoes of recent polls show voters have a lot of issues with him. So I don't blame you for worrying.

At the same time, last night should have given a slight comfort in knowing that there is still appetite for Democrat policies and priorities, even if the leading man is pretty unpopular. Abortion continues to be a huge driver of turnout for Democrats. If they could manage to get a couple more abortion-related initiatives on the ballots in some swing states, it might help drag Biden across the finish line next year. I'd also say that the 'clear and present danger' of Trump being elected president again isn't as clear at the moment. Once he wins the nomination (god I hope not, but he probably will) and we get closer to election day next year, that danger will become more pronounced and should drive Democrats to the voting booth again. Polls at this point in time won't pick that up.

If it is not Trump but Nikki Haley, then the Democrats are in SERIOUS trouble!

Also, there is a documentary called "13th" that proves that Trump is a racist, you can find it near the end parts of it. I do need to warn that it is rated "MA"

When those clips resurface at the right timing, he's likely done for.

• Weenie 1

21 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

If it is not Trump but Nikki Haley, then the Democrats are in SERIOUS trouble!

Also, there is a documentary called "13th" that proves that Trump is a racist, you can find it near the end parts of it. I do need to warn that it is rated "MA"

When those clips resurface at the right timing, he's likely done for.

Agreed that Nikki Haley would be a much larger threat to Biden than Trump. Not only would she neuter their typical attack lines they have come to rely on when running against Trump but she would also appeal to many more Independents and moderates, which normally decide general elections. Democrats know that and as much as they say, "OMG how can Trump be the nominee? What is wrong with the Republican base?" they all secretly (and sometimes not so secretly) want to run against Trump. Nothing drives Democrat turnout more than running against Donald Trump. Well, except maybe abortion apparently.

As for Trump being "done for" - I'm old enough to remember all the various times that Trump was supposedly 'done for'. Access Hollywood tape, Russiagate, Mueller, Cohen, Avenatti, Ukraine, impeachments, January 6th, indictments... the list goes on. If there has been one thing proven since 2016 it's that Trump's base is much more resilient than any typical politician would normally enjoy. When he said he could shoot someone on fifth avenue and his supporters would still stand by him, it was true. I would not count him out for anything.

• Like 2

Say Trump does lose the gop nominee - does he run as a third-party?  And regardless of the general election outcome, he'll say he won and drum up his crowd. The consequence for him losing the election might be jail for the rest of his life.

Jan 6 on steroids could be in our future, especially if it's remotely close.

Does anyone know if GOP delegates are forced to follow what the state votes during the actual nomination process in Milwaukee?  Has never been super clear to me for either party or state.

3 minutes ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

Say Trump does lose the gop nominee - does he run as a third-party?  And regardless of the general election outcome, he'll say he won and drum up his crowd. The consequence for him losing the election might be jail for the rest of his life.

Jan 6 on steroids could be in our future, especially if it's remotely close.

I would say a third party or independent run by Trump is quite likely in that case. In his eyes, he’s the greatest, he’s the most popular president ever, and any electoral evidence to the contrary is merely evidence of a conspiracy by Democrats and establishment RINOs against poor little oppressed him.

So far as another Jan 6th, unlikely. He might well try to instigate one (see above), but the difference is this time people would believe the threat. And Biden would still be president, and approve DC’s request for additional law enforcement and national guard support. And remember, this all assumes that the spell has broken and the GOP establishment has moved on from Trump — so that establishment will also generally support the preventative measures. At that point, it becomes mostly a matter of playing stupid games and winning stupid prizes for any rioters.

It's called clown range for a reason.

51 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Agreed that Nikki Haley would be a much larger threat to Biden than Trump. Not only would she neuter their typical attack lines they have come to rely on when running against Trump but she would also appeal to many more Independents and moderates, which normally decide general elections. Democrats know that and as much as they say, "OMG how can Trump be the nominee? What is wrong with the Republican base?" they all secretly (and sometimes not so secretly) want to run against Trump. Nothing drives Democrat turnout more than running against Donald Trump. Well, except maybe abortion apparently.

As for Trump being "done for" - I'm old enough to remember all the various times that Trump was supposedly 'done for'. Access Hollywood tape, Russiagate, Mueller, Cohen, Avenatti, Ukraine, impeachments, January 6th, indictments... the list goes on. If there has been one thing proven since 2016 it's that Trump's base is much more resilient than any typical politician would normally enjoy. When he said he could shoot someone on fifth avenue and his supporters would still stand by him, it was true. I would not count him out for anything.

Haley would neutralize all of the Democrats' (especially Biden) favorite attacks against Trump.

And I will admit that Trump is a literal tough nut to crack, even though that it might be starting to crack open.

Perhaps more evidence that China is for real in trying to better relations with the US.

I'd say the only reason they are moving in this direction, if reporting is true, would probably be because their economy looks like it's on the brink of disaster. What was once thought to be an economy that could rival the US, China's leaders are probably sh*tting bricks realizing how royally screwed up their economy really is. In order to avoid mass social unrest due to said bad economy, they'll start cozying up to us and try to piggyback off our also wobbly but arguably more resilient economy.

Might be the only good news in foreign affairs right now. 

https://www.axios.com/2023/11/08/us-china-hostility-declined-economy

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Perhaps more evidence that China is for real in trying to better relations with the US.

I'd say the only reason they are moving in this direction, if reporting is true, would probably be because their economy looks like it's on the brink of disaster. What was once thought to be an economy that could rival the US, China's leaders are probably sh*tting bricks realizing how royally screwed up their economy really is. In order to avoid mass social unrest due to said bad economy, they'll start cozying up to us and try to piggyback off our also wobbly but arguably more resilient economy.

Might be the only good news in foreign affairs right now. 

https://www.axios.com/2023/11/08/us-china-hostility-declined-economy

That is an angle that makes sense.

15 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Fun fact:

At this time in 2019 it appeared Donnie would probably be able to sleep walk to a second term.

Then he completely botched the pandemic in every conceivable way and was impotent against hordes during the Floyd Riots. 

• Downvote 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Minnesota decides to keep Trump on the ballot for 2024, for Super Tuesday

Minnesota Supreme Court dismisses ‘insurrection clause’ challenge and allows Trump on primary ballot (msn.com)

I took screenshots of RCP averages prior to each debate. The first one below is before the first debate while the second one below is the current standings. 

Undoubtedly Haley has seen the largest benefit from the debates while almost everyone else outside of Trump has gone down in support. Hopefully she can keep up the momentum tonight! 

Screenshot_20230824_092133_Vivaldi Browser.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_102419_Vivaldi Browser.jpg

8 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

I took screenshots of RCP averages prior to each debate. The first one below is before the first debate while the second one below is the current standings. 

Undoubtedly Haley has seen the largest benefit from the debates while almost everyone else outside of Trump has gone down in support. Hopefully she can keep up the momentum tonight! 

Screenshot_20230824_092133_Vivaldi Browser.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_102419_Vivaldi Browser.jpg

For the Anti-Trumpers, Haley could be their only hope...

• Weenie 1

3 hours ago, Deweydog said:

Yup. He IS the mayor. For now…

More evidence bad times ahead.  People who are independent but have conservative leanings can't even win local elections in more rural areas 

Loyalty above all else.

At first I thought your friend was a D so I wasn't too surprised he got smashed by a MAGA.

9 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

For the Anti-Trumpers, Haley could be their only hope...

She is the only hope. That's why I've been pushing for her so hard. 

Whether you are a Republican who is tired of Trump, a moderate who is tired of the extremes on both sides, a Democrat who doesn't want to risk Trump getting back into the Oval, or hell just someone who doesn't want to see Biden v. Trump again - you should be all-in on Nikki Haley. She is the most sane, plausible, under-70-year-old person in the race on either side of the political divide.

Republicans may not agree with everything she says but she is our best shot at not only beating Trump but also Joe Biden. Period. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, hawkstwelve said:

She is the only hope. That's why I've been pushing for her so hard. 

Whether you are a Republican who is tired of Trump, a moderate who is tired of the extremes on both sides, a Democrat who doesn't want to risk Trump getting back into the Oval, or hell just someone who doesn't want to see Biden v. Trump again - you should be all-in on Nikki Haley. She is the most sane, plausible, under-70-year-old person in the race on either side of the political divide.

Republicans may not agree with everything she says but she is our best shot at not only beating Trump but also Joe Biden. Period. 

And that's why she won't make the cut.  Look at the poll numbers.  The RNC and DNC think its okay to run those two geezers again.  We deserve Trump v. Biden again.

2 hours ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

More evidence bad times ahead.  People who are independent but have conservative leanings can't even win local elections in more rural areas 

Loyalty above all else.

At first I thought your friend was a D so I wasn't too surprised he got smashed by a MAGA.

Yeah, it’s tough. Similar situation to what’s happening in Pacific County where my folks live. They have a sheriff out there who’s, let’s say, interesting.

Just a sign of the times in what is such a polarized climate. We’ve certainly seen our fair share of leftist group think lead to some pretty funked up versions of local government as well.

• Sad 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

13 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

Someone is going to lose a lot of money, Electric Cars don't do well with hills.

Electric Bus Loses Power Going Up Hill, Rolls Backward and Crashes Into Line of Cars (msn.com)

Bad design. Even in the event of 100% power loss, there should be mechanical emergency brakes capable of stopping the vehicle. It is never acceptable to not be able to stop a vehicle.

It's called clown range for a reason.

3 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Bad design. Even in the event of 100% power loss, there should be mechanical emergency brakes capable of stopping the vehicle. It is never acceptable to not be able to stop a vehicle.

What if the momentum is too strong for the brakes to work?

10 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

They fought each other more than they went after Trump. 

This is getting ridiculous. 

That is how Trump has been gaining ground against them, but Haley is doing very well considering the poundings

45 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

That is how Trump has been gaining ground against them, but Haley is doing very well considering the poundings

Yeah she definitely took the brunt of attacks, as expected. But I think she weathered them pretty well, especially the shot at her daughter. I thought that was low blow from Vivek. I liked him for a little while this summer but these debates have made him look small and smarmy. That shot didn't help him at all outside of the MAGA base, who he will never win over while Trump is still in the race. 

Just now, hawkstwelve said:

Yeah she definitely took the brunt of attacks, as expected. But I think she weathered them pretty well, especially the shot at her daughter. I thought that was low blow from Vivek. I liked him for a little while this summer but these debates have made him look small and smarmy. That shot didn't help him at all outside of the MAGA base, who he will never win over while Trump is still in the race. 

Ramaswamy is done for, he was one of the biggest losers.

I will be very curious to see if Trump continues to avoid the debates next month. NBC was with a group of voters in Iowa and asked them to raise their hand if they thought Trump should participate in the next debate. Almost every single one of them raised their hand. I think there comes a point in the primary process where he will need to show up and try to earn the vote. I think that point is coming soon. While he has a core base of 25-30% that will stick with him, polls have shown that the other 20-30% who currently say they will vote for him are open to other people. He risks taking their vote for granted if he keeps with this strategy. 

If he does show up, I think it makes him available for much more direct attacks and questions about his policies, character, legal issues, etc. that have a better possibility of landing. It's kind of hard to hit someone when they aren't even there. Hopefully Trump will grow a pair and get on the stage next month. 

1 hour ago, hawkstwelve said:

I will be very curious to see if Trump continues to avoid the debates next month. NBC was with a group of voters in Iowa and asked them to raise their hand if they thought Trump should participate in the next debate. Almost every single one of them raised their hand. I think there comes a point in the primary process where he will need to show up and try to earn the vote. I think that point is coming soon. While he has a core base of 25-30% that will stick with him, polls have shown that the other 20-30% who currently say they will vote for him are open to other people. He risks taking their vote for granted if he keeps with this strategy. 

If he does show up, I think it makes him available for much more direct attacks and questions about his policies, character, legal issues, etc. that have a better possibility of landing. It's kind of hard to hit someone when they aren't even there. Hopefully Trump will grow a pair and get on the stage next month. 

Dunno, Trump does what he wants.  He has the nomination in the bag just by how the GOP simps for him.  Why put yourself out there in the line of fire.

As someone who loves a good dumpster fire though, I wanna see him on the stage.  If the country is going to crap, I want my entertainment! 

Presidential-debate GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY Donald Trump's rapid fire facial expressions from last night's debate :  r/NotTimAndEricPics Wrong-trump GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY Trump-pence GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

2 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

Ramaswamy is done for, he was one of the biggest losers.

“Do you want a leader from a different generation who's going to put this country first, or do you want **** Cheney in three-inch heels? In which case, we've got two of them onstage tonight.” 

Reference to Haley AND Desantis with the last part.

Burn GIFs | GIFDB.com

8 minutes ago, roadtonowhere08 said:

“Do you want a leader from a different generation who's going to put this country first, or do you want **** Cheney in three-inch heels? In which case, we've got two of them onstage tonight.” 

Reference to Haley AND Desantis with the last part.

Burn GIFs | GIFDB.com

People loved that! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

I think it's ridiculous how white Biden's teeth are.

Dentures?