March 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

BLI snowman

Yeah... don't tell Phil that.  Focus on my response.   Phil repeatedly says that I am lying about snow not melting and our snow being "magical" (as recent as last week) but when I sit here frustratingly looking at snow refusing to melt for days with temps well above freezing and sunshine then its my fault for pointing out that he is full of sh*t.   :lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yeah... don't tell Phil that. Focus on my response. Phil repeatedly says that I am lying about snow not melting and our snow being "magical" (as recent as last week) but when I sit here frustratingly looking at snow refusing to melt for days with temps well above freezing and sunshine then its my fault for pointing out that he is full of sh*t. :lol:

The fact that you are currently having a low grade panic attack over stubborn snowpack is no one’s fault but your own.

Snows not melting because it’s like pure ice now and with the temps freezing every night it is basically a glacier. Temps need to consistently stay above freezing at night too for awhile

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Snows not melting because it’s like pure ice now and with the temps freezing every night it is basically a glacier. Temps need to consistently stay above freezing at night too for awhile

The Dewpoints play a large roll as well, they have mostly been below freezing for a very long time now.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

The fact that you are currently having a low grade panic attack over stubborn snowpack is no one’s fault but your own.

Oh yeah... real panic attack.

I am pointing out that Phil is full of crap on this one and you that is true. But your goal is just trolling me so you will never just agree that I am right because that goes against your mission.

There is nothing magical about the snow... but it has incredible staying power in the foothills when there is dry air in place.   You know this firsthand. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

At least you actually seem to be enjoying your historic late season snowpack. I know I would be!

That has nothing to do with the fact that it happens and you know personally how it works.   And I am not lying about my snow staying despite temps well into the 40s for many days... and even low 50s yesterday.    ;)

Hiked to Tamanawas Falls on the east side of Mount Hood yesterday. Just an incredible amount of snow and ice for this late in the season.

0C5A14D5-3941-4CDD-9BBB-309022018911.jpeg

470E654B-AF97-46E1-8C5B-B3C3F4ABC0AD.jpeg

A20E8DBF-F330-4837-834A-1B477D67484B.jpeg

947AF540-E5AB-4F2B-BA4E-414D50CB2328.jpeg

B22022F3-6570-437B-957D-A5D8F51F079A.jpeg

Came home through the Hood River valley and there was still about 2’ in Parkdale. The whole valley still has solid snowcover.

❄️

• Like 8

Phil can shove it with his magical snow comments... because this snow has survived in the March sun through many days in the 40s and even low 50s yesterday. I wish it was not possible... but I assure you it is.

20190311-100259.jpg

Old, glaciated snow is different. I was talking about fresh snow sticking to every surface and surviving perfectly intact for a week in above freezing air.

And the Sun is stronger here. So ours would melt faster anyway.

Old, glaciated snow is different. I was talking about fresh snow sticking to every surface and surviving perfectly intact for a week in above freezing air.

And the Sun is stronger here than it is there. So ours would melt faster anyway.

That has literally never happened here.   Ever.   And I have never reported it happening.  

You are greatly exaggerating for maximum trolling effect.   ;)

I like this pattern at day 10 on the 12Z ECMWF... that would be some decent rain and in the 40s to low 50s.   It will probably end up backing off though... seems impossible to get our normal March rainy periods this year.

Day 9 is interesting... it shows a jump into the mid 60s in the morning and then some rain by afternoon. 

ecmwf_z500a_namer_11.png  

Yeah... don't tell Phil that. Focus on my response. Phil repeatedly says that I am lying about snow not melting and our snow being "magical" (as recent as last week) but when I sit here frustratingly looking at snow refusing to melt for days with temps well above freezing and sunshine then its my fault for pointing out that he is full of sh*t. :lol:

Hmm..4” of fresh snow versus 3 feet of snow that slowly glaciates over multiple freeze/thaw cycles. Perfectly analogous.

And I was more referring to the way that 4” of wet snow accumulated to the trees/etc and remained intact that way for days afterwards as your temperatures supposedly climbed into the mid/upper 30s. Probably you were using downtown North Bend as a reference, which was not representative of your colder, more elevated backyard. :)

That has literally never happened here. Ever. And I have never reported it happening.

You are greatly exaggerating for maximum trolling effect. ;)

Hey, you baited me into this. That was your call, brother.

And I distinctly remember you posting those snow pictures then clamoring about how you had yet to record a freeze several days later. I could immediately tell based on the appearance of the snow on your trees that you must have been at/below freezing for an extended period of time. Otherwise the snow would gave fallen off the peripheral tree branches and twigs, at least.

Hmm..4” of fresh snow versus 3 feet of snow that slowly glaciates over multiple freeze/thaw cycles. Perfectly analogous.

And I was more referring to the way that 4” of wet snow accumulated to the trees/etc and remained intact that way for days afterwards as your temperatures supposedly climbed into the mid/upper 30s. Probably you were using downtown North Bend as a reference, which was not representative of your colder, more elevated backyard. :)

None of that has ever happened or ever been reported by me.    The trees never stay perfectly flocked when it in the mid to upper 30s here.    

Sometimes we can still have trees caked in snow in the shade if it was in the mid 30s in December or January with a low dewpoint... but even then most of the trees will lose their snow.  

Hey, you baited me into this. That was your call, brother.

And I distinctly remember you posting those snow pictures then clamoring about how you had yet to record a freeze several days later. I could immediately tell based on the appearance of the snow on your trees that you must have been at/below freezing for an extended period of time.

Otherwise the snow would gave fallen off the peripheral tree branches and twigs, at least.

Bullsh*t.

We have had snow that caked the trees without ever going below freezing.   Hell... even Eugene had that just 2 weeks ago.   Look it up. 

But it would never still cake the trees several days later.   You will never find a post like that from me.  Good luck!  

You are greatly exaggerating for maximum effect.   

I remember once that you reported 300 mph winds and 40 foot snow drifts.   I don't remember when and I can find it now... but I know you reported that.    ;)

At least you actually seem to be enjoying your historic late season snowpack. I know I would be!

Day 37! Loving every second of it!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

None of that has ever happened or ever been reported by me. The trees never stay perfectly flocked when it in the mid to upper 30s here.

Sometimes we can still have trees caked in snow in the shade if it was in the mid 30s in December or January with a low dewpoint... but even then most of the trees will lose their snow.

Man you really want me today.

And your recollection is way off, but it’s not worth having a 500 page back and forth over. So feel free to get the last word in and we’ll call it a day.

To be real, snow DOES melt with temps in the 40's, 30's and even the 20's with these mid March sun angles. I've seen my snow base take a pretty decent hit these last few days with lows around zero and highs in the 20's thanks to said sun. 

Seems like a couple of you have some unreasonable snowmelt expectations though.

• Like 3

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Man you really want me today.

And your recollection is way off, but it’s not worth having a 500 page back and forth over. So feel free to get the last word in and we’ll call it a day.

Bullsh*t times 10.

You could never find a post like that from me.   It does not exist.  

Hiked to Tamanawas Falls on the east side of Mount Hood yesterday. Just an incredible amount of snow and ice for this late in the season.

0C5A14D5-3941-4CDD-9BBB-309022018911.jpeg

470E654B-AF97-46E1-8C5B-B3C3F4ABC0AD.jpeg

A20E8DBF-F330-4837-834A-1B477D67484B.jpeg

947AF540-E5AB-4F2B-BA4E-414D50CB2328.jpeg

B22022F3-6570-437B-957D-A5D8F51F079A.jpeg

Came home through the Hood River valley and there was still about 2’ in Parkdale. The whole valley still has solid snowcover.

❄️

Ballsy standing under those icicles like that. I’d probably get split in half with my luck.

To be real, snow DOES melt with temps in the 40's, 30's and even the 20's with these mid March sun angles. I've seen my snow base take a pretty decent hit these last few days with lows around zero and highs in the 20's thanks to said sun. 

Seems like a couple of you have some unreasonable snowmelt expectations though.

Yeah hardly above freezing here, all the snow a meter from my house on the sunnyside melted over last week. Coolest part is it looks like sastrugi.

Yeah hardly above freezing here, all the snow a meter from my house on the sunnyside melted over last week. Coolest part is it looks like sastrugi.

Yeah some pretty cool sun cupping formations starting to form out here as well. Too bad it all looks to get covered up again tomorrow night out here.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Ballsy standing under those icicles like that. I’d probably get split in half with my luck.

They weren't directly above us, we were a little ways off from the cliff still. About the closest I would comfortably get. Beyond that what was left of any packed trail quickly turned into an icy glaze with a surface like frozen marbles. Would be very easy to lose your footing.

• Like 1

I may be flying on a 737 max 8 in a few days so I went ahead and found Jesus. He was at Bryant’s house of all places.

Good luck Matt!   That would make me a little nervous.   What are the odds of lightning striking 3 times??  

Up to 47 here with cloud cover today feels warm. Weird it was just 35 and snowing 3 days ago and now it’s almost 50 and we’re talking about 70 next week. Springs coming fast this year

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0