March 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

BLI snowman

My snow here has melted many times with lower DPs than that.

Then again, the sun is also stronger through this thinner atmosphere...

It was melting better today with a temp in the mid 50s and a dewpoint in the upper 20s. I think the overcast conditions actually helped... not sure why.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Raining pretty hard here...seems weird hasn’t actually rained really hard in a long time without it changing over to snow or hail just plain regular cold 41 degree rain

• Like 2

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I am hoping the snow mixing in along the coast and on Vancouver Island is related to cold air being trapped in that area right now... that actually should mix out a little later. 

slp.12.0000.gif

slp.21.0000.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Lots of low and mid 50s around the area... but SEA was only at 46 last hour.

SEA is one of the cooler spots today.

Maybe the UHI is taking Monday off?

SEA ended up hitting 51 and a low of 34. I was 48 and 29. Which was closer to than normal due to the high cloud cover and front moving. I have noticed days when a storm approaches moderates SEA UHI effect.

I am hoping the snow mixing in along the coast and on Vancouver Island is related to cold air being trapped in that area right now... that actually should mix out a little later.

slp.12.0000.gif

slp.21.0000.gif

The higher elevations of Vancouver are getting pounded with snow. You’re going to be nuked tonight.

I just found it lol, never thought to look up Queets, wonder where the live observation is derived from.

It says WA DOT so it may be an automatic station. Which also probably means the snow obs is not as accurate as a live observer. I don't know how an automatic station determines snow vs rain.

37F with plain old rain here in Victoria this evening. Not much snow on the island highway webcams, outside of Sutton Pass at about 750 feet asl on the west side of the island.

That place gets an incredible amount of snow for its elevation, seems like it has the perfect geography to trap cold air combined with some of the most intense precipitation in the region.

1ZoIsAR.jpg

• Like 1

We won't see another great month of winter until April 2029, based on LRC if that is a thing!!

Not sure if you were going for sarcasm or not here? The LRC, if you believe in the cyclical nature of our weather, is a year to year phenomenon

Not sure if you were going for sarcasm or not here? The LRC, if you believe in the cyclical nature of our weather, is a year to year phenomenon

Bit of both. I know the LRC is more actual short term cycling, but since we haven't had a month like February 2019 since Devember 2008, then my extrapolation fits long term dueism!!

The 4km WRF shows your area getting snow

Coming down quite heavily, probably already a quarter inch on the deck. Temp down to 33.2.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

You would think that I would be tired of the snow and just go to bed...but I can’t stop watching it falling especially since this will most likely be it for the season.

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Def feels like rain coming in. Pleasant out there. March Madness then baseball and more and more outdoor activities. Hopefully summer is not an inferno like last year but I expect it.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope