March 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

BLI snowman

I may be flying on a 737 max 8 in a few days so I went ahead and found Jesus. He was at Bryant’s house of all places.

Sounds like it could be a software issue bringing the planes down...just take someone on the forum that works in the software field to fix things up if the plane starts trending south unexpectedly...Tim?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

To be real, snow DOES melt with temps in the 40's, 30's and even the 20's with these mid March sun angles. I've seen my snow base take a pretty decent hit these last few days with lows around zero and highs in the 20's thanks to said sun.

Seems like a couple of you have some unreasonable snowmelt expectations though.

Oh its definitely melting a little every day. Just not as fast as I expected with these relatively warm temps. Second day in a row here in the low 50s now.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

We’ve lost 2.25” of snow depth in Shawnigan Lake during the month of March. Highs have been in the 40s every day. Official depth is down to 3.5”

This the most stubborn snow I have ever seen here. Its not even close.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Sounds like it could be a software issue bringing the planes down...just take someone on the forum that works in the software field to fix things up if the plane starts trending south unexpectedly...Tim?

They just need the Y2K patch.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

12Z EPS 10-15 day blended mean... I assume this does not involve any lowland snow or dry air with low dewpoints.    Sounds good to me!

eps-z500a-5d-noram-61-4.png

eps-t850a-5d-noram-61.png

Lots of low and mid 50s around the area... but SEA was only at 46 last hour.    

SEA is one of the cooler spots today.

Maybe the UHI is taking Monday off?   

Lots of low and mid 50s around the area... but SEA was only at 46 last hour.

SEA is one of the cooler spots today.

Maybe the UHI is taking Monday off?

I’m usually a couple degrees cooler than Seattle but I’m at 50 degrees currently. This is the 1st time it’s hit 50 degrees at my house since the beginning of February.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I’m usually a couple degrees cooler than Seattle but I’m at 50 degrees currently. This is the 1st time it’s hit 50 degrees at my house since the beginning of February.

Its 55 in North Bend and 54 here.   Dewpoint is still in the upper 20s and its overcast now... but today already appears to be more effective at melting off more snow than the sunny days recently.  

February temperature maps are in.  Very pretty!

post-222-0-57439200-1552340862_thumb.png

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I thought watching grass grow was boring but you guys introduced snow melt to the equation. Good on you.

Might as well paint a wall while we're at it so we can watch the paint dry also.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Its 55 in North Bend and 54 here. Dewpoint is still in the upper 20s and its overcast now... but today already appears to be more effective at melting off more snow than the sunny days recently.

What sort of champagne are you planning to bust out when the last patch of snow is gone from your yard?

What sort of champagne are you planning to bust out when the last patch of snow is gone from your yard?

There is going to be a huge celebration here!   

24hrs after using the tractor to plow the driveway but not actually digging into the driveway and leaving the thinnest strip of ice so I didn’t tear in and muck up the driveway with the bucket thinking that exposing the bottom layer of ice would melt off quickly...nope. Still hard thin ice even with temps in the mid 40’s and a good southerly wind. I think another contributing factor is that the ground is so abnormally cold that it’s really helping to slow the thawing process as well.

788B00E2-95DB-46EC-ABFD-87E45673B992.jpeg

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Today was a very good day... it would be nice if it stayed just like this for another 4 or 5 days.   The snow would be mostly gone in that time at this rate.   Its still 53 here with solid overcast and the snow pack is noticeably dropping everywhere.  By far the best melting day since the big snow event.   None of this crap of melting only in the sunny spots during mid-day.    The snow is much softer right now all over and there is no slow down in the melting as we move into evening.   :)

I assume there will probably be some sloppy new snow tomorrow morning but that will disappear quickly.

For some reason Eastern Washington County seems to be the ground zero for warmth during the upcoming warm snap.

Warm "snap"?

That is reserved for cold weather events.   ;)

36 with some sloppy snow flakes falling. Not sticking

Still a few cold days to get through.  The evaporative cooling with this front is going to chill things again.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Another 9+ months until people start obsessing over 0.1" differences in precipitation for their specific microclimates. I'm sure NWS is relieved. 

Seems like I came out on the short side of those 0.1" differences for every event of the past two weeks.  Kind of frustrating.  I'll bet you right about the NWS getting plagued with calls, emails, or messages about all of these events.  In actuality it could be more like 8 months.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Seems like I came out on the short side of those 0.1" differences for event of the past two weeks.  Kind of frustrating.  I'll bet you right about the NWS getting plagued with calls, emails, or messages about all of these events.  In actuality it could be more like 8 months.

Thanksgiving to New Years!    Lets do this right so I am cheering for my snow to stay and not melt.    :)

Just ridiculous how cold Ellensburg has been the past few days.

9. 32 - 5

10. 30 - 6 

11. 32 - 4

Their normal is 50 - 28 for this time of year.  Hard to imagine them sustaining such an extreme inversion this time of year.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9