March 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

BLI snowman

Ah, I wasn’t too big on weather before last summer/fall. Is SSW wind with rain only associated with winter?

I believe it. And no it isn’t that linear. Just depends on surface pressure gradients. South winds can happen pretty commonly with a low moving in to our north from the late fall through early spring. Less common in the warm season since the jet is weaker/farther north.

Saw some new snow in Everett just south of downtown at 11am. Was probably from earlier in the morning. Woke up to 36° and rain this morning. Wasn't expecting more snow reports from the lowlands until November!

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Very cool day...spring still not here yet only 42. Looks like the convergence zone is taking aim at my house now as it moves south as well maybe I’ll see some hail or something interesting

Also interesting the convergence zone usually always is north of Seattle it’s a not as common for Seattle/Tacoma area to see the convergence zone

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

What butt ugly pattern on the Euro. Annoying to go straight back to this crap.

Can I take pleasure in your displeasure?   That seems to be a goal of yours with me.   ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Nice break from the cold weather coming up.   Add 3-4 degrees to account for its cool bias... it will be cooler than reality every day in this pattern and not just at SEA.    

KSEA-2019031212-ecmwf-min-max-10.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Wish I lived where the CZ set up all the time it’s a very interesting thing seeing it set up and form all the time near Everett

Some essentially non-accumulating snow balls falling here now.   Gigantic flakes.    If this was at night we would have another 3 inches.

Wish I lived where the CZ set up all the time it’s a very interesting thing seeing it set up and form all the time near Everett

I have lived in northern Snohomish Co my entire life (42yrs) so all I know is the PSCZ. It is your best friend during these times...however for me it was my worst enemy during the months of April-June especially when I was a kid and obsessed with fishing. It would be nice to the north, nice to the south, but pouring over Lake Goodwin. The PSCZ is a love hate type relationship.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

EPS is also slower with the ridge break down... but ends up with generally mild zonal flow with normal 850mb temps across the PNW.

Sort of looks like the action would be more focused on CA again. But I am sure there would be some rainy periods up here too.

Looks Nino-ish...

eps-z500a-5d-noram-61.png

eps-t850a-5d-noram-61.png

C-zone is finally winding down.

Unofficial start of spring here right now as it will start to slowly but steadily improve going forward... better late than never!

Well, neither you or I are a meteorologist or weather expert, so to us first day of spring is March 20th!!

I am definitely not either of those... but that is that is how it has been defined by other people.