March 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

BLI snowman

HOW DARE YOU do you know how hard it is to deal with a bunch of branches that get all over your yard and then your yard waste debris bin gets all full so you have to dress in all black at night and dump them in your neighbors trash bin cause you don't want anyone thinking you, as a homeowner, took a bunch of sticks and incorrectly disposed of them in your OWN garbage?!!

Don't they teach you kids anything in the communist robot factories they pump out these days except how to be a masked protester that blocks traffic in Boulder constantly which is definitely a very real thing.

I never thought of that lol! I’ve always loaded my sticks up and thrown them into the Puget Sound. Tip, never do this when dogs are present

• Like 1

HOW DARE YOU do you know how hard it is to deal with a bunch of branches that get all over your yard and then your yard waste debris bin gets all full so you have to dress in all black at night and dump them in your neighbors trash bin cause you don't want anyone thinking you, as a homeowner, took a bunch of sticks and incorrectly disposed of them in your OWN garbage?!!

Don't they teach you kids anything in the communist robot factories they pump out these days except how to be a masked protester that blocks traffic in Boulder constantly which is definitely a very real thing.

I’m sorry, I’ve been trained as an obedient liberal servant who stomps on the Constitution and absolutely hates trees. ☹️

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

We’re f*cked.

We always are. Back to spilt flow hell, we can jealously watch the east coasters and midwesterners deal with their epic storms.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had a high of 47 and a low of 36. And here is my current snow-base situation as of 10min ago. I can almost see my grass!! However my front landscaping is still very much covered up.

B8ED759C-A9B4-4668-AF3F-12266C64BCD5.jpeg

E404D979-7E2E-45BD-9917-323F23471912.jpeg

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

How rare are atmospheric rivers in March/April? Can one happen this year?

We had one last April, actually. Each of the past few springs had featured at least a decently exciting event.

2018- April AR and “windstorm”

2017- April windstorm

2016- March windstorm

2015- March windstorm

2014- March “windstorm”

2013- ?

2012- March windstorm, wet snow at the end of March

2011- March squall line

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

How rare are atmospheric rivers in March/April? Can one happen this year?

Cannot happen this year... they passed a law. ;)

You must know its pretty rare in March and April... and we can already see that its highly unlikely in March.

But how would anyone know if it will happen in April? It certainly could... of course. It could also snow or we could have a windstorm or it could be hot or maybe all of the above... maybe none of it.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Well, you didn't get what you wanted during winter, so I'll just hope your bad luck will continue

Actually I did get a windstorm in early January, suffice to say. It wasn't as strong as I wanted, but it did fine. I hope everyone gets a dose of 60 mph wind gusts, but I'll make a special order of 75 for Whatcom County :)

But you are completely right about the luck, how unlucky can one get being missed by two major snowstorms in a single month in such close proximity, bring screwed by first a north trend and then a south trend? It's crazy.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Actually I did get a windstorm in early January, suffice to say. It wasn't as strong as I wanted, but it did fine. I hope everyone gets a dose of 60 mph wind gusts, but I'll make a special order of 75 for Whatcom County :)

But you are completely right about the luck, how unlucky can one get being missed by two major snowstorms in a single month in such close proximity, bring screwed by first a north trend and then a south trend? It's crazy.

You had multiple snow days, not all kids can claim that!!

You had multiple snow days, not all kids can claim that!!

I have an absolute ton to catch up on, as Beaverton didn't cancel school many times when areas to the east got some snow.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Enjoy the 70s next week. :)

• Like 1

Thank you Mr. Hutz.

• Like 1

God almighty..-51C @ 850mb over Greenland/Baffin Bay.

Coldest of the NH winter so far.

8qNGYKc.png

That's pretty crazy for mid March.

35° with high clouds here.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

My snow cover turns the big 4 0 today! 40 straight days with snow on the ground...amazing! The snow is as hard as can be at the moment, dogs had a hard time walking on it this morning. Currently 36 with a DP of 30.

DD5CBA31-52E1-49BC-B9FA-C46E6A5C4379.jpeg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Gotta make a decision soon when to remove snow tires. Not sure if we're done for the year or not

Except as much as you got in February again in April.    But colder... so the roads will be worse.   :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Took this as I was leaving for work a bit ago. I have way too many snow pics in my phone now. I have a feeling my yard will very slowly come to life over the next month and then explode in late April and into May.

70F25427-C647-4F97-B1E6-6A706703AB88.jpeg

• Like 2

We always are. Back to spilt flow hell, we can jealously watch the east coasters and midwesterners deal with their epic storms.

I'm not sure about the midwest, but east coast has had a pretty uneventful winter for the most part. Two weekends ago here in NYC there was a massive bust – NWS had a WSW issued for 10"+ of snow and virtually none fell! Gresham has easily had more snow the past month and a half than NYC has had all winter.

Driving in snow isnt even that hard to begin with. And if it is bad, just put chains on. I never have understood the panic, and I've never even owned a 4WD vehicle either.

My steep driveway requires 4WD when it snows...even after I plow it with the tractor.

Driving in snow isnt even that hard to begin with. And if it is bad, just put chains on. I never have understood the panic, and I've never even owned a 4WD vehicle either.

Really depends on the type of driving you are doing on a regular basis. Chains seem like a huge pain. We generally have to drive on snow covered roads for about 5-10 miles until you get to the highway, then the roads are just bare and wet. So you’d have to put chains on in the morning, then off when you get to the highway, then back on when you exit the highway on your way home. No thank you. Also, winter rated tires give you some peace of mind if you or your loved ones are driving in areas that are prone to black ice.

I hit 32F at 11:40pm last night which added yesterday and kept my unblemished string of 32F or lower going for the month. I have been at or below freezing on 39 of the past 40 days and still have remnants of the February snow in my yard. A PNW weather weenies dream.

• Like 1