March 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

BLI snowman

You’d think a warm and dry period now would lock in a more unsettled period later on the the spring but I doubt we get that lucky. Should be another perfect, drought filled warm season. :)

It will be the season of the Jesse.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Yes. I just saw Mike Seidel live there and he was in blizzard conditions for sure. 27 degrees, heavy snow, 70 mph winds. Things we dream of.

Tell me about it. Snow, high winds, record low pressure, they’re living a dream!

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Already running some big year to date defecits. Good thing it’s FINALLY drying out again. :)

attachicon.gif70B8D96A-FF1B-4021-8CAB-67A93D046C51.png

Well... cold is usually dry.   And its been cold!     Can't have everything.  

You don't know what the conditions will be like in the middle of summer either.    What if its a cool and dry summer?   Total disaster?   :unsure:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Kind of short lived though there in Denver though. Not supposed to make it past dinner time.

Yeah, a quick-hitter, though it should last at least until 9. So about a 12 hour event.

It's hard to tell with all the blowing and drifting, but I'd estimate about 4-5" here so far.

A forum for the end of the world.

Guest CulverJosh

I’m sure almost everyone experiencing this storm wants it to be short lived! Some of the videos I’m seeing are downright scary.

I know. Be better on the weekend. I honestly think we will experience that here in the next 5 years.

• Like 1

Well... cold is usually dry. And its been cold! Can't have everything.

You don't know what the conditions will be like in the middle of summer either. What if its a cool and dry summer? Total disaster? :unsure:

The only total disaster around here is average weather.

Well... cold is usually dry.   And its been cold!     Can't have everything.  

You don't know what the conditions will be like in the middle of summer either.    What if its a cool and dry summer?   Total disaster?   :unsure:

Since most of the dry spots are the lowlands right now that should help a little with fire season. And a comparatively cooler summer might bring less convection to places that see more fires, so who knows that just might even everything out if it's not a hot one.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Since most of the dry spots are the lowlands right now that should help a little with fire season. And a comparatively cooler summer might bring less convection to places that see more fires, so who knows that just might even everything out if it's not a hot one.

A cooler summer would definitely help decrease wildfire danger if it’s a hot summer.

Guest CulverJosh

Btw. If not for that coast range we could have some fun showers this afternoon. That being said, looks like some may survive in the next couple hours. Sun is out here and the sky looks cumulous-ly. Yes, new word.

• Like 1

Literally your words. :lol:

OK Jesse.   I am sure it was a post that was dripping with sarcasm to make a point at how silly it sounds.   You know that of course.   ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You want rain even more than I do... and my dream temperate climate has 80" of rain per year.

53 here with scattered cumulus clouds. Feels very pleasant.

Tim simply can’t get enough rain. The longer you post here the more you will realize. :unsure:

Tim simply can’t get enough rain. The longer you post here the more you will realize. :unsure:

I am not a fan of drought and wildfires or excessive rain.   I know that is strange.

October - December was almost perfectly normal at the stations near my house in terms of total rain and days with rain... I was quite happy as you know.  

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 2.02.26 PM.png

In case you're wondering, here's my dream temperate climate.

Looks atrocious and unbearably boring.

• Like 1

You’d think a warm and dry period now would lock in a more unsettled period later on the the spring but I doubt we get that lucky. Should be another perfect, drought filled warm season. :)

Westerly momentum is already propagating poleward out of the deep tropics. I don’t think you need to worry (if it was winter it would be a bad sign, but heading into the warm season the regional implications are different).

• Like 1

Tell me about it. Snow, high winds, record low pressure, they’re living a dream!

Move to coastal Maine, dude. They can get nuked like this several times per winter.

I think we have officially hit the slow season on the forum. And the smoke maps won’t be rolling out until late July.

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

http://www.climate.washington.edu/stormking/

Something like this would be just amazing

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

http://www.climate.washington.edu/stormking/

Something like this would be just amazing

HOW DARE YOU do you know how hard it is to deal with a bunch of branches that get all over your yard and then your yard waste debris bin gets all full so you have to dress in all black at night and dump them in your neighbors trash bin cause you don't want anyone thinking you, as a homeowner, took a bunch of sticks and incorrectly disposed of them in your OWN garbage?!!

Don't they teach you kids anything in the communist robot factories they pump out these days except how to be a masked protester that blocks traffic in Boulder constantly which is definitely a very real thing.

• Like 2