Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

We had three days in a row with thunderstorms. Also the storm total over 3 days was 1.38" and it snowed a bit this morning. Its been a good one. Probably a bit warmer for a few days more convection possible in a couple days.

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

We had three days in a row with thunderstorms. Also the storm total over 3 days was 1.38" and it snowed a bit this morning. Its been a good one. Probably a bit warmer for a few days more convection possible in a couple days.

Sounds like a fun several days.

Amazing how a switch to conditions that are simply near average for the west seems to exciting after the past year or so of unabated torching.

• Like 1

Sounds like a fun several days.

Amazing how a switch to conditions that are simply near average for the west seems to exciting after the past year or so of unabated torching.

Yeah a bit of normal weather goes a long way!

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

First 80 of the year today. Looks like isolated convection possible for quite a while as daytime heating works with limited instability.

A decent lightning show to my south this evening. I have a good view of the south and took a video which I'll upload later. Not much thunder though since the storms are too far. I saw some purple cloud lightning but didn't get it on camera.  :rolleyes:

There have been a few thunderstorms rolling through my area today but none at my house so far. Either way looks like more of the same for a while with low end pops from afternoon storms every day for a while. A little better chance Wednesday with a passing ULL.

Had a nice t-storm roll through here yesterday evening.

I am surprised at how wet it has been today. When I left work (near I-25/dry creek) at 530pm it had already been raining torrentially with lightning and some thunder, and continued to do so. It's just a light-moderate rain right now though but it sure feels like the PNW. :D

Pretty large band of heavy precip moving north from the Springs...  :huh:

I am surprised at how wet it has been today. When I left work (near I-25/dry creek) at 530pm it had already been raining torrentially with lightning and some thunder, and continued to do so. It's just a light-moderate rain right now though but it sure feels like the PNW. :D

Pretty large band of heavy precip moving north from the Springs...  :huh:

The rain held off here for the most part until after 7. But for the past 30 minutes it's been pouring. Looks like that stalled blob down south is producing some flooding.

A forum for the end of the world.

I was at school yesterday where nothing happened but there was a pretty good storm that hit my house in West Valley City. I picked up .55". Even though it was lame to miss it, the school is on a hill so I could see several CG's hitting the valley. That was kind of fun. For whatever reason that side of the valley gets way more storms.

• Like 1

More thunderstorm action in the area today. As usual it wasn't over my head but I saw more lightning and rain in the distance. Looks like some steady stuff tomorrow.

When does your fire season start?  Did they ever catch that arsonist?

I don't believe so on the arsonist.

Fire season typically starts in June, depending on weather. If May/June are wet, it may not start until later in the summer or not at all. Some years it's really not an issue.

Some severe storms to my west this afternoon but just sprinkles here. Looks like more wet weather through Saturday. Then it dries out.

Are you growing gills yet or have any moss on your roof?  ;)

No gills, but I am starting to see moss pop up in spots! 

Seriously, this past week has been the most consistently cloudy/rainy that I think I've ever seen here. It rivals some of the weeks I saw while living in Tacoma. More steady rain today...up to 2.35" on the month.

It's very green here now. Just beautiful on the C470 toward Golden this afternoon with the clouds and rain in the valley. :)

Yeah, it will be absolutely glorious next week when the sun finally comes out again. Love it when it's green around here.

We also had more rain and some thunderstorm activity. Looks wet again tomorrow before we clear out.

7 days in a row with precip, I've seen lightning on 5 of the 7 I think.

Heavy rain today followed by heavy snow tonight. Already some flooding going on around the area.

The potential is there for one of the biggest May snowstorms on record, but it will all likely depend on a couple of degrees.

This Afternoon
Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. High near 53. North northeast wind 7 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
Tonight
Rain showers before 9pm, then snow. Some thunder is also possible. Low around 31. Blustery, with a north wind 13 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.
  • Like 1

Heavy rain today followed by heavy snow tonight. Already some flooding going on around the area.

The potential is there for one of the biggest May snowstorms on record, but it will all likely depend on a couple of degrees.

This Afternoon
Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. High near 53. North northeast wind 7 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
Tonight
Rain showers before 9pm, then snow. Some thunder is also possible. Low around 31. Blustery, with a north wind 13 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Nice, you will have to keep us updated. Low snow levels here too, but not quite that low. Its 45F here at 2 pm, pretty weird for this time of year. Also up to about 1/2" now of water on the day.

Nice, you will have to keep us updated. Low snow levels here too, but not quite that low. Its 45F here at 2 pm, pretty weird for this time of year. Also up to about 1/2" now of water on the day.

Will do. There's some pretty serious storms moving up from the south...currently a tornado warning down near Pueblo, and several cells producing torrential rains.

Will do. There's some pretty serious storms moving up from the south...currently a tornado warning down near Pueblo, and several cells producing torrential rains.

Yeah I have been watching that. Several tornado warned storms and some damage I hear.

The radar looks pretty impressive right now with that large area of heavy rain...wow.

I was driving eastbound on 285 and I passed a car with about an inch of snow on its roof, so temperature is dropping pretty quickly I think...

Meanwhile, it is pouring here and 40 degrees. 

edit: I'm just now starting to see some wet snow mixing in with the rain. 

Wow, very impressive radar echoes across the Denver area. What a fascinating storm. I was in Laramie, WY May 8, 2007 when there was a pretty heavy snowfall, but driving through Denver it was just rain with that event. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Historically, it's snowed about 25% of the time in May. Less often in September.

But we also see days in the upper 60s in January. Variability.

I have seen upper 60s in January here on numerous occasions.

Variability is one thing... but snow in May and/or September just sucks.   I am happy not seeing snow in April or October as well.   Having a good garden there must be harder with the ends of the season possibly cut off.    Our garden would not be happy about a low of 29 with heavy snow.

http://s3.postimg.org/4lv27zes2/11126891_811996315535245_256542982954589225_o_1.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**