July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Steady rain with occasional thunder right now it's just what the Dr ordered.  We have the generator running our appliances and since we are avid campers this is like spending the weekend in the Ozarks but without the banjos!  Current temperature is a comfy 70 degrees. 

• Like 3

Texas weather is a broken record.   

106/107 for the highs this coming week.  Texans are pretty resolved to hot summers but occasionally Mother Nature likes to push the limits.   With no break to gather some rest from this…

Well, we’re going to be a cranky group.  
Wouldn’t have a Tropical Storm on ya, would you? 😄

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

8:20 and Temp is 101*.  

The crazy thing about it is it actually feels cool from the 106 we had this afternoon.   You can actually feel it.  

I’m seriously ready for some good news down here. 😊

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Flood Watch in effect 1 county to my east, with short range models predicting ridiculous rain totals over central MO.  Some short range models and the 18z Euro have shifted the heaviest totals west towards my place.  Hopefully if we get the storms they bring a little less wind than last night, we gotn our power restored around 6 this evening.

qpf_acc-imp.us_c.png

• Like 2

99F here today after a 101F yesterday. Dew point staying elevated in the upper 60s to low 70s so the feels like is a bit higher. All model guidance really cranking it up the next few days, probably a bit too much, but I could see 105F or so here by Wednesday. 

• scream 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

High this afternoon 107*

Low of 83*
This is getting rough.  

• Sun 1

3 minutes ago, Andie said:

High this afternoon 107*

Low of 83*
This is getting rough.  

Yep, peak nastiness this week. Probably some relief up here next weekend. I hope some of it spills down your way.

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

For better or worse welcome to August. The official H/L yesterday at Grand Rapids was 81/56 there was no rain fall the sun was out 59% of the possible time. There was a lot of smoke that gave the sky a milky look. There were just 4 CDD’s and the highest wind gust was 19MPH out of the west. We start the downward trend on average temperatures today and the average H/L is now 82/63 The record high for today is 98 set in 1988 and the record low of 48 was set in 1947. The record rain fall amount of 1.96” fell in 1909. Last year the H/L was 83/68.

With a red moon caused by a lot of smoke in the sky the overnight low here was 56. The current temperature is 57 wind a milky white sky. The week ahead looks to have temperatures near average with some small chances of rain.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Black Hole said:

Yep, peak nastiness this week. Probably some relief up here next weekend. I hope some of it spills down your way.

We’re in the thick of it my friend.  
Yes, it’s the heat but the toll on everything becomes a battle to maintain life and wellbeing.  
It’s not my first sun-dance but they never get mundane.  
Hope you’re hanging in there. I think this next week is the last of the worst too.  
Warming up my rain dance!! 
edit:  

Super Moons this year. 
In 2024, we will have four full supermoons in a row on Aug. 19, Sept. 18, Oct. 17 and Nov. 15.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Andie said:

We’re in the thick of it my friend.  
Yes, it’s the heat but the toll on everything becomes a battle to maintain life and wellbeing.  
It’s not my first sun-dance but they never get mundane.  
Hope you’re hanging in there. I think this next week is the last of the worst too.  
Warming up my rain dance!! 
edit:  

Super Moons this year. 
In 2024, we will have four full supermoons in a row on Aug. 19, Sept. 18, Oct. 17 and Nov. 15.

Speaking in terms of astrology, today marks the 1st day of the Lions Gate opening.  8/1- 8/8 is a huge portal opening of abundance!  Todays Full Moon sparks it right open and 8/8 is the big day.

We finished July at just slightly above normal temperature wise at both KMQS Coatesville Airport (+0.4) and at East Nantmeal (+0.3).
Beautiful weather continues the next couple of days to start August with high temps both days remaining in the 70's. We stay cool on Thursday but rain chances increase by Thursday late day. Early peek at the weekend looks nice with continued temps running slightly below levels for early August in Chester County,
Records for Today: High 98 (2002) / Low 47 (1895) / Rain 1.57" (1973)
image.png.d59ca8ea54c13f0324000dc7a90c598b.png

All historical weather data analytics posted by me is specifically for the climate of Chester County PA.  We continually analyze the actual raw non-adjusted NWS certified Coop observed climate data for Chester County.  There have been no post observation adjustments to any of the detailed analytics. All data is sourced from trained NWS observers and spotters. The life blood of science is to challenge what is thought to be known. The concept that climate change etc. is somehow “settled science” describes a religion - a belief system that does not welcome challenges. We should all continue to challenge science!    Snow Totals 2023/24 = 24.5" -  11/28 (0.3") / 12/7 (0.8") / 12/11 (0.8") / 1/6 (2.0") / 1/16 (2.8") / 1/19 (4.5") / 2/13 (10.5") / 2/17 (2.8")

Average Chester County PA Snow at elevations over 660 FT ASL (1983-Present) = 35.9" Snow totals by season: 2022/23 (2.7") /2021/22 (20.5")  2020/21 snow  (52.2") /  2019/20 snow (5.8" )/ 2018/19 snow (35.1" )/ 2017/18 snow (58.5") / 2016/17 snow (24.0")/ 2015/16 snow (40.8")/ 2014/15 snow = (55.3") /2013/14 snow (80.0").

Check out the historical Western Chester County PA website at https://www.chescowx.com.  Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/ChescoWx and join us on the #1 social media source for all things Chester County weather on the Chester County Weather Page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/chescowx

National Weather Service  SKYWARN® Trained Spotter CHPA-174

25 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Sioux Falls is running about 7.5 inches behind normal on rainfall YTD. Ooof. 

I am 7.24" below avg this year.

• Sad 4

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

July total rainfall here was 3.48" (-1.02") with most of it falling on the 12th. My yearly precipitation to the end of July is approximately 6.28" below my own 30 year (1990- 2019) average. I should probably go by my most recent 30 years of data as recent summers were dryer, which would change anomalies a little, but I don't have the numbers yet. 

Low temperature for the month was a cool 51° and the high a scorching 98°!

• Like 3

• Tom unpinned this topic