January Weather In The PNW 2024 (Part III) - The Warming Shot

iFred

59 minutes ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

The sun won't come out tomorrow or Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday or Friday according to the latest forecast. Annie did not live in the PNW.

ECMWF actually shows a little sun tomorrow and quite a bit of sun on Monday and Tuesday with highs into the 60s in many places.

Also showed lots of sun from next Friday through the weekend... with cooler temps of course.  

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Raining.

I truly cannot comment on other states, Even Oregon as I have not traveled a whole lot. For Oregon I have never been south of Portland. For other states I have been to several regions of California, worked a day at the Presidio golf course near San Francisco, that was quite scenic, also been to Paso Robles and played on Lake Nacimiento. Also a cool area. Also been to southern Cal. Been to Minnesota a few times as well, a little under an hour north of Minneapolis is where I have family. Would love to explore northern Minnesota some day. Also been to Kauai. (And Mexico and western Canada) but that’s it! So far hands down Washington has it all. I am looking forward to sometime visiting Idaho and Montana. Wyoming also really fascinates me, I think because of its low population. 
I did almost move site unseen to Lake Powell Utah in 2007, a former boss of mine moved there and became a manager of the lake boat rental along with basically running the small community that was just for employees. they had housing on the lake for employees with amazing views! But my non adventurous side of me decided against it. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Just now, Slushy Inch said:

BC7EC153-8470-444A-85BA-AF8CDE3F4579.png

That little guy needs to be in northern Snohomish Co, not southern Snohomish Co! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Snow 1
  • Weenie 1
  • Facepalm 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

12 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

Gfs bails on cold trough while gem goes in that direction.

A7F16108-92D9-4044-80E2-BB4598155150.png

6924E9AA-C32D-4F3D-B3E8-FE7DA9C97254.png

Think you have those mixed up.   GEM is colder.   12Z GFS is pretty meh so far as the cold air stays mostly offshore and is quite a bit warmer than the 00Z run in the mid range.

gfs-deterministic-namer-t850_anom_stream-1706356800-1706356800-1706983200-10.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

6 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Raining.

I truly cannot comment on other states, Even Oregon as I have not traveled a whole lot. For Oregon I have never been south of Portland. For other states I have been to several regions of California, worked a day at the Presidio golf course near San Francisco, that was quite scenic, also been to Paso Robles and played on Lake Nacimiento. Also a cool area. Also been to southern Cal. Been to Minnesota a few times as well, a little under an hour north of Minneapolis is where I have family. Would love to explore northern Minnesota some day. Also been to Kauai. (And Mexico and western Canada) but that’s it! So far hands down Washington has it all. I am looking forward to sometime visiting Idaho and Montana. Wyoming also really fascinates me, I think because of its low population. 
I did almost move site unseen to Lake Powell Utah in 2007, a former boss of mine moved there and became a manager of the lake boat rental along with basically running the small community that was just for employees. they had housing on the lake for employees with amazing views! But my non adventurous side of me decided against it. 

My wife told me the other day that the only states she has not been to are Maine and Alaska so that is where we need to go next... assuming that would be two different trips! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Think you have those mixed up.   GEM is colder.   12Z GFS is pretty meh so far as the cold air stays mostly offshore.

gfs-deterministic-namer-t850_anom_stream-1706356800-1706356800-1706983200-10.gif

I meant to say gem moves in direction of cold trough as opposed to what gfs had. In any case models aren’t doing great with this setup 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

I meant to say gem moves in direction of cold trough as opposed to what gfs had. In any case models aren’t doing great with this setup 

GFS has definitely be trending warmer and farther west over the last few runs.     No idea if that means anything though because it's a strange pattern evolution for sure.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

GFS has definitely be trending warmer and farther west over the last few runs.     No idea if that means anything though because it's a strange pattern evolution for sure.

Well at least we have the graphcast which scores better than the euro. And euro has been moving in a good direction 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Jim really loved the GFS last nite 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

30 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

My wife told me the other day that the only states she has not been to are Maine and Alaska so that is where we need to go next... assuming that would be two different trips! 

Currently planning 10 days in Alaska for June 2025.  This is a big goal for both my wife and I. We are kind of obsessed with Alaska.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Raining.

Side? ;)

• lol 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Side? ;)

That side rules about 95% of me unfortunately. 

• Like 1
  • scream 1

2 minutes ago, MossMan said:

That side rules about 95% of me unfortunately. 

You really should get down to Oregon sometime. It blows my mind that there wouldn’t at least be some curiosity there. One of my favorite things to do over the years has been to do multi day trips focusing on and exploring different parts of the region. I get that everyone’s different, though.

• Like 3

You really should get down to Oregon sometime. It blows my mind that there wouldn’t at least be some curiosity there. One of my favorite things to do over the years has been to do multi day trips focusing on and exploring different parts of the region. I get that everyone’s different, though.

I do want to do that, I also want to explore more of NE Washington as I love small towns and just being out away from gobs of people. Wouldn’t mind doing a week or two road trip exploring Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming and up through Montana and back into NE Wa. That would be super fun. 

• Like 3

Just now, Cascadia_Wx said:

How are you doing this morning Andrew? @SilverFallsAndrew

Well, it’s been a tough week. The models kind of stink today, and work is really picking up… It is 35 degrees and cloudy at my present location so I’m glad to be missing the first couple days of the epic torch… 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

34 minutes ago, iFred said:

When Mr Cloud Map meets Mr -0.5 Negative Departure 

Can't believe you discount cloud maps!   Its a pretty important tool for determining the tangible weather on many days.   Not today of course... but many days in general.    A little more important than a difference of 0.5 degree.   😃

26 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Well, it’s been a tough week. The models kind of stink today, and work is really picking up… It is 35 degrees and cloudy at my present location so I’m glad to be missing the first couple days of the epic torch… 

I feel it dog. 🐶 I realized in all the poetic waxing about natural landscapes of the region and my spectrum level obsession with them I forgot to do my WEATHER ROUNDUP last night.

Yesterday was cool, rainy and wintery with a 46/39 spread. Picked up close in an inch of rain, with light rain much of the afternoon and heavier rain after dark.

Currently 49 after a low of 43 here, with moderate rain still continuing. You can see the back edge to the south though, once that passes through we’ll probably get a blast of south winds and warmth, then we’ll be in the warm sector until sometime Tuesday.

Wet night and morning. Close to an inch of rain again on the day so far. Rapidly approaching 10” for the month.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

51 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I have always wanted to check out the Oregon coast. I have been to Portland. Ashland, Mt hood, and Bend/Mt bachelor. 

The Oregon coast is a big mystery to me. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I have been down the coast 20 times, snowmobiling around hood, bachelor, la grande. A bunch of redwood exploring, 50 trips to the dunes for atv riding, even went to the mystery house. I really like that area around the little town of Drain that takes you to coos bay area. Awesome elk viewing spot on the road as well.

• Like 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I have been down the coast 20 times, snowmobiling around hood, bachelor, la grande. A bunch of redwood exploring, 50 trips to the dunes for atv riding, even went to the mystery house. I really like that area around the little town of Drain that takes you to coos bay area. Awesome elk viewing spot on the road as well.

Awesome. Yeah I love the area between Drain/Elkton and Reedsport too. The Lower Umpqua River. Devil’s staircase falls is in that neck of the woods, and still on my list. I’m sure @SilverFallsAndrew knows where that is.

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Lately My favorite area to explore is Colorado. Besides the Olympic national park the beauty in Colorado is second to none.

Andrew said last night that Colorado was overrated.  :(

Awesome. Yeah I love the area between Drain/Elkton and Reedsport too. The Lower Umpqua River. Devil’s staircase falls is in that neck of the woods, and still on my list. I’m sure @SilverFallsAndrew knows where that is.

About 10 miles in from the highway heading west is a farm house on the left with a huge field leading to the coast range foothills. One of my favorite house spots i have ever found.

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

12 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Have you ever seen the North Bend elk herd?     They are usually in the same general area across from Mt Si golf course and along 202 between NB and Snoqualmie.    Its pretty much guaranteed you will see 100+ elk on a summer evening down there.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOTMy5UphCo

8kkm3uz8gs711.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

He has not been where i have. I have posted some incredible pics here the last 4 years from going there. 

Its also Andrew.  😁

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Maine is amazing. Actually reminds me of WA a bit with the conifers and marine air in the summer.

• Like 2