May 2024 Pacific Northwest Weather

46 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Things were already getting pretty brown here in Mays 2015, 2016, 2018, and 2021. Which is sort of just what happens when 80+ temps start becoming the norm and the rains shut off.

Not in Seattle and not on May 2nd.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

21 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

But @TT-SEA says we have had TONS of rain. We all must be lying and crazy. 

Its been drier than normal.   That is a fact.

But vegetation growth is going to explode even more with the warm weather next week.   Also a fact.   

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

40 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Even after 20 years the guy conveniently forgets on the regular that he gets 2-3x the rainfall that the rest of us get.

Even here the grass turns dead brown (where its not watered) almost every summer.  

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Not in Seattle and not on May 2nd.   

Neither of us live in Seattle, but I'd venture to guess that the story ended up being pretty similar there at some point during several of those Mays. I'm sure that some of our actual Seattle posters can speak to that.

Which is the whole point. It's not some inevitability that it's going to stay green and lush moving forward at this point of the year if the conditions don't allow for it. 

• Like 3

Love these rainy spring days on the desert. .3” of precip today and currently 49. Overall it’s been a very nice dynamic spring. A good mix of sunny days with fun storms in between. 

• Like 6

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

33 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Today has been absolutely lovely, btw. Soaking rain last night then brilliant sunshine with clouds at times today so far and a lush and blooming landscape. Temps moderate, in the upper 50s to around 60 at the moment. Gorgeous weather but we’re in a long wave troughy pattern so it doesn’t count.

Troughy days can be gorgeous too.   Yesterday was spectacular... so is today.   But its not going to be troughy all the time.    I love a sunny day after a rainfall in the warm season too.   It's even more special when it happens in the middle of summer.   

If you want this weather all summer then I would suggest Sitka or Juneau.   The climo reality is that Seattle and Portland average 200+ days a year without rain so climo says the day you are experiencing today is in the minority.  

• Thanks 1
  • Troll 1

5 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Neither of us live in Seattle, but I'd venture to guess that the story ended up being pretty similar there at some point during several of those Mays. I'm sure that some of our actual Seattle posters can speak to that.

Which is the whole point. It's not some inevitability that it's going to stay green and lush moving forward at this point of the year if the conditions don't allow for it. 

Sure... I bet the 100 degree day in May 1983 did a number on the grass.   But we aren't there yet.  

• Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Even here the grass turns dead brown (where its not watered) almost every summer.  

Have you ever had a summer where it didn't go brown? It definitely still takes semi-consistent rainfall that soaks relatively deep into the soil. Which is why even on the coast the grass tends to be browning by August, even with the cooler temps and more regular marine layer drizzle.

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Sure... I bet the 100 degree day in May 1983 did a number on the grass.   But we aren't there yet.  

As has been discussed, we've had a number of historically warm and dry Mays recently that have effectively spelt the beginning of our summer.  For our grass as well. You don't have to go back to 1983 since I'm pretty sure we've all witnessed it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Have you ever had a summer where it didn't go brown? It definitely still takes semi-consistent rainfall that soaks relatively deep into the soil. Which is why even on the coast the grass tends to be browning by August, even with the cooler temps and more regular marine layer drizzle.

The greenest summer in our time here was 2019.   We had consistent rain all summer despite it still being generally warm.   

Even 2008, 2010, and 2011 turned brown by August,   But not 2019.   We never needed to use the sprinklers that summer.   Then you have 2022 when it was about as wet as it could be in the middle of June and could not keep up with watering by July into fall  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Wtf 100° in May 😩

• Like 1

Eastside Tacoma/Salishan, WA. Elv 263ft

Family home in Spanaway, WA. Elv 413ft

☥𓂀✡️

1 minute ago, YahRaEl said:

Wtf 100° in May 😩

Bit of an exaggeration but it was close in places.   And then it was wet and cool all summer.  

• Like 1

A stellar troughy day.   We don't need ridging to have beautiful weather.   But the ridging is still coming.  

nb 5-2.png

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-4651200.png

• Like 4
  • lol 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, the_convergence_zone said:

Ok, I get what you’re saying, there hasn’t been much blocking this spring and we’ve had weak systems interspersed with nice weather and temperatures in the normal-ish range overall. That’s fair. 

I do think the rainfall deficit is a big deal — maybe Oregon gets close to normal after this big storm but Sea-Tac is about 5 inches short this spring and they are going to get maybe 1 inch in the next week unless the forecast changes. 

IMG_2361.png

Yeah, at this point it's still looking like a somewhat drier than average spring, although that will improve over the next week.

5" below normal for SEA doesn't look right, though. I'm seeing them only about 1.5" below normal for the spring at this point - and didn't they miss out on recording a bunch of rain due to a sensor error with the big storm recently?

Regardless, most places from OLM south look to be near normal for this point in the spring within 5 days.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

2 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Yeah, at this point it's still looking like a somewhat drier than average spring, although that will improve over the next week.

5" below normal for SEA doesn't look right, though. I'm seeing them only about 1.5" below normal for the spring at this point - and didn't they miss out on recording a bunch of rain due to a sensor error with the big storm recently?

Regardless, most places from OLM south look to be near normal for this point in the spring within 5 days.

SEA did not report rain on 2 days in April when there was significant rain.  

Even with the missing data... SEA has had 30.55 inches of rain for the water year compared with 32.90 inches normally.   I don't think that is enough to be catastrophic.   🙄

image.png

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, bainbridgekid said:

Has to be overdone, but Saturday is about as cold as a May day could possibly be on the 12z GFS. 

2pm temps of 39 in Longview, 41 in Portland and 42 in Tacoma would be beyond absurd.

sfct-imp.us_state_wa (5).png

The 18Z GFS is a little better for Saturday compared to the 12Z run... slight shift south.   But 00Z run might go back to what the 12Z run showed.  

gfs-deterministic-nw-t2m_f_max6-4867200.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the_convergence_zone said:

I’ve had one decent soaking rain in the last 5 weeks. 

Seattle city office has had 5 days with .3"+ of rain in that time. Another day with .24". They are running right around average precip since mid March.

I think you've just been in an unusually bad spot recently.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

44 minutes ago, YahRaEl said:

Wtf 100° in May 😩

42 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Bit of an exaggeration but it was close in places.   And then it was wet and cool all summer.  

It did hit 100 at PDX. Also some foothill locations in western WA like Landsburg (102!) and Palmer. So probably at Tim's!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

12Z EPS shows a strong signal for warmth in the PNW and chilly weather across the central and eastern US next weekend.    

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-t850_anom_stream-5515200 (1).png

If we can hold that pattern for just 10 days I’ll call it a win. Hell I’d settle for a week.

• Like 2
  • Troll 1

12z EPS. Maybe some hope for a spike of warmth followed by some more seasonable weather. We’ll see. A decent warm spell followed by some t-storms or something might even be kind of fun as long as we’re not embarking on unbroken ridging until September.

IMG_3245.png

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1
  • Weenie 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

12z EPS. Maybe some hope for a spike of warmth followed by some more seasonable weather. We’ll see. A decent warm spell followed by some t-storms or something might even be kind of fun as long as we’re not embarking on unbroken ridging until September.

IMG_3245.png

I’m sure the duration will be shortened. Haven’t been able to hold a western ridge beyond 1 week all year.

The CCKW has already trended faster across guidance, it probably won’t be long until the reversion to the default pattern shows up in the clown range.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I’m sure the duration will be shortened. Haven’t been able to hold a western ridge beyond 1 week all year.

The CCKW has already trended faster across guidance, it probably won’t be long until the reversion to the default pattern shows up in the clown range.

I tried…but meh.

Edited by Cascadia_Wx
  • Weenie 2

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Exactly... we have 3 weeks of troughing and there is panic about a few days of no troughing.   😀

• Like 1
  • Excited 2

On 5/1/2024 at 4:28 AM, MossMan said:

Currently 36 degrees. 

IMG_4590.jpeg

Not good, looks like a cougar was spotted on the same North Bend trail that the 🦓 was last seen. Hoping the stallion is found and brought back to its owner! 🙏 

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/uh-oh-cougar-spotted-same-trail-missing-zebra-wandering-north-bend/6IG5ZWVUMRARNBCVYMMS334OAE/

3 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Things are greener every day right now because that's the way works at this time of year.   Things will get greener and trees will get fuller even faster when the warmer days arrive next week.   It's not like the warmer days will slow things down... just the opposite in May.   You are making it sound like the end of summer when the grass is brown and we get finally get rain.  ;)

I'm not saying anything unreasonable or wrong. It's been drier than usual up until recently and I'm starting to notice the benefits of that recent rainfall now that it's sunnier again. Very straightforward.

Once again, and I see some others have also called you out on this today, I refer back to what I said yesterday, about how you're calmly nestled far, far away in a forested chateau a thousand feet high in the Cascade wilderness, regularly rinsed by nearly one-hundo inches of juicy sky water every trip 'round the sun. We city peasants aren't so fortunate, down in our scorched concrete wasteland, where frail blades of grass struggle to sneak their brown, lanky bodies through cracks in the cement, gently dancing in the breeze on a somewhat cool hundred degree May evening.

• Like 3
  • lol 1
  • Popcorn 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

22 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

I'm not saying anything unreasonable or wrong. It's been drier than usual up until recently and I'm starting to notice the benefits of that recent rainfall now that it's sunnier again. Very straightforward.

Once again, and I see some others have also called you out on this today, I refer back to what I said yesterday, about how you're calmly nestled far, far away in a forested chateau a thousand feet high in the Cascade wilderness, regularly rinsed by nearly one-hundo inches of juicy sky water every trip 'round the sun. We city peasants aren't so fortunate, down in our scorched concrete wasteland, where frail blades of grass struggle to sneak their brown, lanky bodies through cracks in the cement, gently dancing in the breeze on a somewhat cool hundred degree May evening.

You are a poet!

Just wait until the warm weather starting next week.   Grass will be growing like gangbusters and trees will all finish filling out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Not good, looks like a cougar was spotted on the same North Bend trail that the 🦓 was last seen. Hoping the stallion is found and brought back to its owner! 🙏 

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/uh-oh-cougar-spotted-same-trail-missing-zebra-wandering-north-bend/6IG5ZWVUMRARNBCVYMMS334OAE/

It was probably on the prowl for Huskies.

• Like 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

On 5/1/2024 at 12:10 PM, Cascadia_Wx said:

Not sure what it’s doing in your part of town but it’s in the mid 50s with some overcast and sunbreaks at times here.

Was gloomy at the time, turned into a decent afternoon, def chilly tho think we were behind in the PDX high over here. This weekend looks…not May-ish 😂 

Portland | Raleigh Hills/West Sylvan | 350’

”All models are wrong, some are useful.”

-G. Box

12 minutes ago, RaleighHillsRunner said:

Was gloomy at the time, turned into a decent afternoon, def chilly tho think we were behind in the PDX high over here. This weekend looks…not May-ish 😂 

Weather like that is historically pretty typical for the first half of May. It’s definitely becoming less common though, so people are adjusting their expectations.

• Weenie 2