Pacific NW August 2014 Discussion

stuffradio

http://green2.kingcounty.gov/swimbeach/BeachData.aspx?Locator=0826SB&CurrentYear=true

I did go a couple days ago ind definitely did feel cooler. But 75 is too warm for a lake in my opinion. 

Lake Washington is never too warm... its barely gets to tolerable for a few weeks each summer.

You might well be the first person to ever complain that its too warm!    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

No we are not.

But the ridging may come anyways.    I have a feeling that September might end up that way after this weekend trough.

And we have not had strong ridging in the past few months.   We have just been in the sweet spot of a meandering pattern... again.   :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

-

For the record here Tim. (Fun, even.)  .... I'm not seeing it either.    @

Can you point to anything beyond what you have above, that might work to support this shift. ? 

An analog or two. ?  /  Your warmer sea-surface temps theory and thinking. ?

The law of averages, put together with your fairly general view and assessment of things looked at both more currently, along with more back through August previously above, don't really, very will. I don't think. 

What, if anything more specific, tells you that what you've pointed to as lending to a greater chance for ridging where looking aheadto ".. from mid-September into October"won't instead, more just to things continuing on as they have been. ? 

... Basically, relatively short-lived ridgingif having generated significant, even noteworthy heat, more north-focusedwith otherwise, plenty of general "breaks", more in between.

---

NWS going with lows of 62, 60 and 59 at PDX the next three nights. I figured the mild nights weren't going anywhere. The very idea of PDX dropping below 60 anytime between now and October is clearly ridiculous :)

That 59 might feel a little nipply.  

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

And so it goes, PDX should this evening close out another 60+ degree day, tying last year's monthly record of 22.  It'll be a tougher task, but if the 63 holds that will be #14 there or above for the month; adding to an already crooked record.  

Tasty. 

And so it goes, PDX should this evening close out another 60+ degree day, tying last year's monthly record of 22. It'll be a tougher task, but if the 63 holds that will be #14 there or above for the month; adding to an already crooked record.

Tasty.

Pleasant indeed.

And we are in Portland now.

Pretty cloudy one and there isn't much frontogenesis or CAA. I don't see them getting 58 or so the rest of the month.

Nelsen's going with 59 tomorrow morning. Cold bias!!

At least things look more normal next week. Although I thought the same thing last week.

79 here today briefly.  Lots of people saying they are liking the cool down.

I'm fine with the cool down but okay with the sun too.

Really I'm waiting for that day after the first snow falls down to 6-7,000',the skies clear out and the mountains are white and the air is clean again.

Been raining since about 730am this morning up here. Very light rain, but oh so refreshing!

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

:(

Yeah... its not like we have months and months of rain and crap ahead.    Better hurry and end all nice weather so there is no glare on your computer screen.    My kids agree that is the most important thing.   :P

Yet another cracked out run from the most reliable global model.

Darn.

You are almost always right when you say that.   

At least the GFS and Canadian agree that it will be summery next weekend.    Just not to the extent of the ECMWF.   

0.25" of rain here today. Me like.

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Clinging to the OP run 168hrs out? You're quite the wishcaster.

Clinging? Just mentioned it. 12Z basically agrees. And where did I make a forecast anyways? :)

Clinging? Just mentioned it. 12Z basically agrees. And where did I make a forecast anyways? :)

What do you suspect will happen, then? I have to say, you're a very talented troller :)

I can't respond to this without sounding like a dumb, dense crank

• Like 1

I admit the moonshine is still in my system today. If I'm not making correct interpretations, let me know

What do you suspect will happen, then? I have to say, you're a very talented troller :)

I can't respond to this without sounding like a dumb, dense crank

Just mentioned what the most reliable model shows. I pretty much expect it to happen based on some consistency now. But it's not my forecast... just reporting what it showed.

Just mentioned what the most reliable model shows. I pretty much expect it to happen based on some consistency now. But it's not my forecast... just reporting what it showed.

What is your forecast? I'm definitely not on the ridgy bandwagon..

I think it'll be average or a bit above. Nothing too shocking considering what I thought was likely coming into the month.

Sounds about right. I also think that the last half of the month could actually be troughier than the first.

I also think PDX has a decent chance of dropping below 60 tonight, though. So don't take my outlook too seriously.

Sounds about right. I also think that the last half of the month could actually be troughier than the first.

I also think PDX has a decent chance of dropping below 60 tonight, though. So don't take my outlook too seriously.

I suspected the whole month would be on the benign side. Kinda looks that way so far.

As for PDX, they already set a new precedent this morning if they can avoid dropping too quickly this evening.