February 2014 Observations and Discussion

Geos

Storm next weekend.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/uploads/monthly_02_2014/post-2790-0-76312600-1391291260.gif

Dare I say the "B" word!!?? Dang!

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

EURO still showing a change in the pattern near the 10th of the month.

SE ridge really backing in.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

gfs no show for next weekend's system now

Stays way south this time.

For the entire run, the GFS only give me 4". Not even 6" for Chicago. Most of the snow is along the I-70 corridor.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

That's what I was thinking.

Ya know, no one forced you to come over to the Great Lakes forum, just saying. I know you're frustrated because you haven't had snow, but I love snow and want a storm to give me more than 6" this year, which I haven't had yet. So let me want my snow with without people having to comment about how much 36" of snow is this year, which really isn't all that crazy. It's more than your area, I get it, but that's not my fault.

Ya know, no one forced you to come over to the Great Lakes forum, just saying. I know you're frustrated because you haven't had snow, but I love snow and want a storm to give me more than 6" this year, which I haven't had yet. So let me want my snow with without people having to comment about how much 36" of snow is this year, which really isn't all that crazy. It's more than your area, I get it, but that's not my fault.

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome!! Not sure why your getting so angry but okay. lol. I do have to say, 36" of snow is a lot.

lol both totals are. Just be glad you have over 6". I really didn't mean to make you mad, just saying appreciate what you have gotten and will get! You guys have a lot of time left.

It's all good man, I jumped on you because I thought you were trying to come over here and make me feel bad for wanting a big storm. My bad. I know you've had it way worse, and it's hard for me to put that in perspective, but I've been so close to some 7-12" totals this year, I want in on that! I've been getting a lot of 1-2" events and a 3-4" event every once in a while, it makes me hungry for something bigger!!

Actually, sometimes I wish I was in your position. I absolutely love winter, but these little events, usually clippers, get annoying because I spend so much time tracking it and it's really not much more than just a little storm that causes me to have to go out and shovel and snowblow. I don't know if I've ever snow blowed as much as I've had to this year between the snow storms and all the drifting. Not to mention the brutal cold, which is even starting to get old.

It's all good man, I jumped on you because I thought you were trying to come over here and make me feel bad for wanting a big storm. My bad. I know you've had it way worse, and it's hard for me to put that in perspective, but I've been so close to some 7-12" totals this year, I want in on that! I've been getting a lot of 1-2" events and a 3-4" event every once in a while, it makes me hungry for something bigger!!

I hear ya man, that is what winter does to you. It gives you a taste of it and then you want more and more. Do you live in Dubuque?

Okay, I thought so. I grew up in the Quad Cities and I remember Dubuque would get some big storms. My cousin went to Loras and he went through some big ones up there. I am sure you will get a good one. Next weekend could be a monster! P

It looks definitely possible. But the Tuesday event, and the possible late week one, are going to be followed by arctic air again. I love extreme cold and the first two were cool, but man it's just getting to be too much. I'm a huge winter lover, but I'm almost ready to say I'm ready for spring and severe storms. This winter has just been brutal in terms of cold especially. I want one more 6+" storm, and then I'll be good.

Btw, my mom went to Loras, and I'm going to Augustana College in Rock Island and that's where my dad went and where my brothers currently attend.

It looks definitely possible. But the Tuesday event, and the possible late week one, are going to be followed by arctic air again. I love extreme cold and the first two were cool, but man it's just getting to be too much. I'm a huge winter lover, but I'm almost ready to say I'm ready for spring and severe storms. This winter has just been brutal in terms of cold especially. I want one more 6+" storm, and then I'll be good.

Btw, my mom went to Loras, and I'm going to Augustana College in Rock Island and that's where my dad went and where my brothers currently attend.

Nice! Yea Augie is a good school on a beautiful campus. Just don't let the district eat ya up lol. I miss the QC a lot. There is nowhere like home but I also love Omaha.

Nice! Yea Augie is a good school on a beautiful campus. Just don't let the district eat ya up lol. I miss the QC a lot. There is nowhere like home but I also love Omaha.

Lol oh I wont. I love it down there. Campus is nice, and so many areas to visit if you don't wanna stay in Rock Island.

12z GFS goes from S. IL due north while strengthening. 6 + inches in a 3 hr time frame in some spots. Widespread 12-18 inches and it's still going right now. Gets it down to about 990

B-O-M-B. Picking up on LES too for Chicago.

...The Artist Formerly Known as RJSnowLover...

Models can't be trusted it seems more than 48 hours out.

Anyways, chilly day today, but the sun is out. Up to 16° at 11am.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Wow, forecast here was -2 last night and it got down to -8! Back up to 4 right now, but I did not think the temps were gonna get that cold. It dropped dramatically after 2 AM.

That area is a real freezer!

Only 9° here last night and now it's warming up more than forecasted.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Looks like the same thing is happening this go around with a sharp cut off on the northern edge of this system across N IL.  This storm did the same thing in cycle 2 of LRC.  It still may jog north or south a bit and I think by tonight's 00z runs it will tell the story.  The only caveat NE IL may have from this is strong NE winds off the lake that may enhance totals for lakeside counties but that's still up in the air.

That area is a real freezer!

Only 9° here last night and now it's warming up more than forecasted.

Yeah, it's been freezing over here this year! Right now it's because we have one of the deepest snowpacks I've seen in my life, with maybe our record breaking 07-08 year being the exception. 

Here is a picture of all the accumulated snowfall on my deck:

BfaeEpOCYAAiZvl.jpg