Super Bowl Weekend Major Snowstorm

Tom

Check out Skilling's post in his blog....notice the lake band forming near MKE around 11:30pm and continuing through Sunday midnight!  You can clearly see the RPM model picking up the Lehs up/down the western shores of Lake Michigan throughout the duration of this storm.  Epic baby!

http://chicagoweathercenter.com/blog/8-12-snowfall-strong-ne-winds-develop-sunsun-night-lake-effect-could-contribute-1-3-to-the-tally

Nice fat quarter sized flakes coming down here with a temp of 35 degrees. Not really sticking anywhere though except a little slush starting to show up on our deck and grass. I think precip rates today will be important as it looks like where the radar returns are lighter the reporting stations have rain and are 35-36 degrees, but where it is coming down harder, the reports are snow and 34-35 degrees. Amazing how different 1 little degree can make. I love weather!!

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL
1043 AM CST SAT JAN 31 2015 

UPDATE

1032 AM CST

CURRENTLY GOING OVER THE LATEST FORECAST GUIDANCE. A FIRST LOOK
AT THE 12 UTC GFS INCREASES MY CONCERNS FOR HEAVY SNOW ACROSS MUCH
OF MY AREA TONIGHT INTO SUNDAY. HOWEVER...PRECIP TYPE ISSUES
MENTIONED IN THE PREVIOUS DISCUSSION COULD COMPLICATED THINGS
ACROSS MY FAR SOUTHERN COUNTIES...AS THE LATEST GUIDANCE SUGGESTS
THE 850 MB LOW MAY TRACK RIGHT ACROSS EAST CENTRAL ILLINOIS SUNDAY
AFTERNOON. AS A RESULT...THIS COULD IMPACT SNOW AMOUNTS ACROSS MY
FAR SOUTH.

I AM ALSO BECOMING MORE CONCERNED FOR THE POTENTIAL OF
BLIZZARD CONDITIONS SUNDAY AND SUNDAY EVENING...ESPECIALLY GIVEN
THE TREND FOR A STRONGER SYSTEM. THE 12 UTC RUN OF THE GFS
SUGGESTS WIND ADVISORY LEVEL WINDS...WITH GUSTS POTENTIALLY UP
AROUND 40 KT. IF THESE TYPE OF WINDS MATERIALIZE...WHITE OUT
CONDITIONS COULD CERTAINLY BECOME AN ISSUE. IN ANY
EVENT...CONFIDENCE IS INCREASING THAT MOST OF MY AREA WILL
EXPERIENCE A MAJOR WINTER STORM...WITH UP TO A FOOT OF SNOW
POSSIBLE.  

I AM ALSO BECOMING MORE CONCERNED FOR THE POTENTIAL OF

BLIZZARD CONDITIONS SUNDAY AND SUNDAY EVENING...ESPECIALLY GIVEN

THE TREND FOR A STRONGER SYSTEM. THE 12 UTC RUN OF THE GFS

SUGGESTS WIND ADVISORY LEVEL WINDS...WITH GUSTS POTENTIALLY UP

AROUND 40 KT. IF THESE TYPE OF WINDS MATERIALIZE...WHITE OUT

CONDITIONS COULD CERTAINLY BECOME AN ISSUE. IN ANY

EVENT...CONFIDENCE IS INCREASING THAT MOST OF MY AREA WILL

EXPERIENCE A MAJOR WINTER STORM...WITH UP TO A FOOT OF SNOW

POSSIBLE.

From KLOT AFD Update 10:32 AM

Above me beat me to it :)

It's been a while since we have seen such a large system like this one developing over the central CONUS...just look at that radar imagery of deep moisture flowing up from the Gulf.  The system is not even mature and we are seeing some heavy banding.  Can't wait to see this storm start deepening late tonight into tomorrow.

im pumped right now

You guys in Lincoln and omaha are looking good, I would say 8-10 looks like a good bet. I would be shocked if they don't upgrade your area. I'm right on the line, I'll take what I get though. Snowing hard here and starting to stick on grassy surfaces.

I'm reconsidering driving to my friends super bowl party if the 12Z GFS comes to fruition. Rates over an inch per hour with gusts over 40 mph would make driving nearly impossible. I warned all of my friends to be careful if they go. This is definitely really bad timing since a lot of people will be on the road driving to their super bowl parties.

You guys in Lincoln and omaha are looking good, I would say 8-10 looks like a good bet. I would be shocked if they don't upgrade your area. I'm right on the line, I'll take what I get though. Snowing hard here and starting to stick on grassy surfaces.

This is really making up for the 20+ inches that I missed earlier this week where I used to live in the northeast 

• Like 1

If this storm ends up becoming a Blizzard, even if it doesn't, we should pay tribute to our friend from the past, Dominic Rocco.  He would have been having so much fun tracking this storm system.  I know he is watching from above.

From watching his FB page, his friends knick-named him the "Don Juan".  This storm may turn out to be something special for Chicago.  Miss you Dominic and I know your still here with us!

• Like 4

These are the biggest flakes I have ever seen...(Florida girl) 

NICE! Congrats out there. Finally! eh? ;)

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

How are the temps looking? I'm worried that it may be too warm... I'm at 34 right now, that latest precip. looks crazy hopefully it'll all fall as snow. Even if we loose some to cold rain there is an abundance of precip so I'm still hoping for 8-10" maybe more.

precip has slacked off some.

hopefully the goods are delivered tonight

I think that's just cuz the time frame on the NMM doesn't include the next few hours given that's at 48 hr and is only a 36 hour precip time frame. the amount of moisture is crazy with this system.