February 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

Well I would hope so.

I still had between 8 and 11" in my back yard this afternoon. Probably will still have some around when it starts snowing this weekend.

I'd actually be ecstatic with a foot. That's about 4" more than anything I've had since 2008.

My yard still has between 2" and 4" with the front yard being the deeper of the two... but the yards across the street from me are completely bare (they get full sunlight for about 6-8 hours a day).

I'd actually be ecstatic with a foot. That's about 4" more than anything I've had since 2008.

My yard still has between 2" and 4" with the front yard being the deeper of the two... but the yards across the street from me are completely bare (they get full sunlight for about 6-8 hours a day).

Yeah, same story here. Looking green in places but all things in the shade still look great, including rooftops, plants, and cars.

Tim it would be like you waited for the sunny day you love all year and it never came. Imagine years and years of that crap. That's how Jim and me feel right now. I hate that i'm stuck here.

I think you probably helped him to see very clearly with this post.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Since I would have to buy the tickets in advance to get a good deal, I need somewhere that it's almost certain to be cold with snow on the ground at pretty much any time during an average winter.

You live a 2 hour drive from Paradise. Why not just go up there during a snowstorm once a month or something?

Not saying it is the same thing as snow here, but that sounds more enjoyable than Fairbanks in the middle of winter when the day is only a few hours long and it might be 50 below zero.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

The neat thing about when I live where it snows a lot is I will be able to come on here and look at this area with much less emotion.  It should help me do some good forecasting for this area.  At this point I am just fried and not even close to the top of my game.

The setup being shown on the ECMWF is a lot like what happened in NW Oregon earlier in the month but shifted northward 200 miles or so.  Still a chance it could drop 50 miles further south and nail Seattle pretty good.  Even the Euro can be off by that small amount at this time range.  Really no reason to expect this to go our way, but the chance is there.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

You live a 2 hour drive from Paradise. Why not just go up there during a snowstorm once a month or something?

Not saying it is the same thing as snow here, but that sounds more enjoyable than Fairbanks in the middle of winter when the day is only a few hours long and it might be 50 below zero.

I just need to experience the most extreme conditions possible to satisfy me for a while.  In 2000 I never dreamed I would still be waiting to see a great January in 2014.  I'm just done with it here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The local tv weather people make it sound like it's not allowed to snow in Seattle. They make it sound like it is bad if it happens. I get so sick of that.

I totally agree with you.  It always drives me nuts to hear talk about how lucky we are to live in such a boring climate in the winter.  In some ways they are deluding themselves.  It sucks here in the winter most of the time.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I just need to experience the most extreme conditions possible to satisfy me for a while. In 2000 I never dreamed I would still be waiting to see a great January in 2014. I'm just done with it here.

If you want extreme, try Minnesota. Fairbanks is weak sauce comparatively.

If you want extreme, try Minnesota. Fairbanks is weak sauce comparatively.

Fairbanks is certainly colder.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Fairbanks is certainly colder.

Actually I have a great idea for you. Go to Mt. Washington NH..for a small fee you can spend a week at the observatory and get blown around in 90mph winds and blinding snow. :)

That's as extreme as it gets. My wife and I did it in 2009 and it was awesome.

??

Not really. Here's what a nice cold January in Fairbanks looks like

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/pafa/2012/1/26/MonthlyHistory.html

Minnesota can get more dynamic cyclogenesis, but that's about it.

I thought he was planning on taking the trip to catch a blizzard? I didn't say anything about avg temperatures.

Of course Fairbanks is colder on average.

Actually I have a great idea for you. Go to Mt. Washington NH..for a small fee you can spend a week at the observatory and get blown around in 90mph winds and blinding snow. :)

That's as extreme as it gets. My wife and I did it in 2009 and it was awesome.

Risky when I buy a ticket in advance to get a better price.  With my luck they would have a ridge when I went.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Jim... you do not have to buy a ticket in advance.   Sometimes the best deals are at the last minute when they try to sell empty seats.

If you are going to make a trip just for weather then wait until a week out or less when you KNOW something big will be happening.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Jim... you do not have to buy a ticket in advance.   Sometimes the best deals are at the last minute when they try to sell empty seats.

If you are going to make a trip just for weather then wait until a week out or less when you KNOW something big will be happening.

This makes sense.  Just don't count on the GFS to help your planning.

Actually, the GFS does pretty well for many places much of the time.  Hopefully, the upgrades will help it master the PNW.  In the end, I suppose it doesn't matter much since the weather is going to do what it's going to do.  I just like the litte kid excitement of knowing what's coming and being prepared to watch it.

Wow, this "event" sure fizzled. Luckily I never got emotionally invested in this one as my location was always going to be on the edge no matter what.

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

It looks like the gfs would have light snow for Puget sound on and off Saturday into sunday. 850 temp is only -4 to -6 for seattle area but with outflow offshore flow I would think most would be snow away from the water and sea level. The area of low pressure is further south and that little change pulls the arctic front a little further south as would be expected. This is far from resolved.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

It looks like the gfs would have light snow for Puget sound on and off Saturday into sunday. 850 temp is only -4 to -6 for seattle area but with outflow offshore flow I would think most would be snow away from the water and sea level. The area of low pressure is further south and that little change pulls the arctic front a little further south as would be expected. This is far from resolved.

So strange that the WRF continues to be totally dry for the weekend.    Its supposed to be based on the GFS operational run.   Saturday is just 48 hours away and there is not even the hint of precip on the 12Z WRF that day.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The WRF had been out to lunch ever since last weekend's event, where it did not perform admirably. Especially leading up to the event.

Yeah... I definitely think its completely out to lunch this time with the GFS and ECMWF showing precip.    

Just so strange to see it so completely dry when the operational run shows precip all weekend.   With the event last weekend... the WRF showed tons of precip on every run during the week leading up to the event.   The only question was precip type... it was definitely wet.