August 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

UW picked up 1.09" of rain in an hour and 0.83" in 27 minutes.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/cgi-bin/latest_uw.cgi

Wow, very impressive. This event is way out-performing any models for the central Sound. Much more of a convective element to things than your typical deformation zone, as evidenced by the heavy rain and numerous lightning strikes.

A forum for the end of the world.

Doesn't appear to be much of a factor at this point.

Yeah sort of... downtown Seattle has had about 10 times as much as here today. Usually indicative of easterly flow aloft. Should change later this evening.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yeah sort of... downtown Seattle has had about 10 times as much as here today. Usually indicative of easterly flow aloft. Should change later this evening.

Right, a lot of that is just a function of where the low is at and its slow movement east. It hit Seattle first, and the overall flow has favored them temporarily. Your totals should be quite healthy when all is said and done.

Right, a lot of that is just a function of where the low is at and its slow movement east. It hit Seattle first, and the overall flow has favored them temporarily. Your totals should be quite healthy when all is said and done.

I think upslope against the Olympics caused enhancement over there. It's losing steam now.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

.89 at SEA today... very wet week now.   

And now well above normal for the entire month of August and its only the 14th!

So much for a record dry summer.   :)

I think upslope against the Olympics caused enhancement over there. It's losing steam now.

Probably a little. But this isn't a winter storm we're talking about...it's pretty weak in comparison. So upslope and whatnot is not going to be as much of a factor, like in winter when you see the Hood Canal with way higher precip totals due to strong easterly flow.

It's simply been a very juicy, convective deformation zone, with slow movement.

SEA is now at 1.03 for the day and 1.33 for the month.

Over 150% of normal for August.

When will this end???   :)

Just in time for kickoff.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Wow, very impressive. This event is way out-performing any models for the central Sound. Much more of a convective element to things than your typical deformation zone, as evidenced by the heavy rain and numerous lightning strikes.

No doubt. Pretty funny considering the 12z 1.33km WRF showed a mainly dry afternoon for most of the Sound:

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d4/ww_pcp1.10.0000.gif

You don't see many Midnight highs in August, but it looks like SEA may have pulled it off today.

http://w1.weather.gov/obhistory/KSEA.html

Not even a drop of rain here today.  Pretty windy this evening though. 

Tuesday and Wednesday are looking pretty warm next week. 

Canadian model has gone from downright stormy and cold for next week on the 00Z run yesterday to perfect summer weather on tonight's run.   Completely different.   

Been a while since we have had a good old pscz here! Been raining all evening. Don't know what my rainfall total was, but this would have been a very wet day even for November standards!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Wait... according to this map, the entire eastern half of the Pacific Ocean, with the exception of a tiny patch just off Baja California, is from 0.25 to 5 degrees warmer than normal.  That can't be right, can it?

Confirmed...

http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/anomaly/2015/anomnight.8.13.2015.gif

Just looked at my rain gauge and was surprised by the additional .65" received since midnight bringing the total for this event to 1.89".

I was thinking my area must have gotten at least 1.5". Really need to get a rain gauge. Anyway my yard had that feeling like it was just beginning to thaw from a long freeze, that surface squishiness but you could also feel the firm layer as well. The ground had become hydrophobic since it had been so dry, the moisture was having a hard time breaking through that hard layer. Also we had a lightning strike very near the house yesterday that caused our well pump relays to fry so we were without water for several hours...never fun. Crazy day indeed!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

That's the great thing about him and record warmth or record cold. He'll always find a way to objectively minimize it.

My comment had nothing to do with records. It was a simple statement about the length of the warmth next week. Minimizing anything never entered my mind. Goof.

A day in which you expected hardly anything.

?

Not true at all.   I knew it would be an interesting day for western WA... just was not sure how it would play out in my area.   I knew it would take longer out here.   Models were all over it for days.