Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

Unusual weather trivia that is hard to google

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Kayla

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:46 PM

Kayla

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1658 posts
  • LocationBozeman, MT

Minimums were never offset at COOP stations, just maximums. The -34 at Bergland was indeed on April 1, 1923.

This is always so frustrating to me. Any idea why they don't just record 12:01am to 12:00am? My understanding is they actually record highs from something like 4:01pm to 4:00pm so the high from the previous day gets carried over many times. 

Cold season 2017/18:

Total snowfall: 10.0"
Largest snowfall: 2.5"
Coldest high: 38ºF
Coldest low: 18ºF

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...OZEM152#history

BLI snowman

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:57 PM

BLI snowman

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5525 posts
  • LocationRidgefield, WA

This is always so frustrating to me. Any idea why they don't just record 12:01am to 12:00am? My understanding is they actually record highs from something like 4:01pm to 4:00pm so the high from the previous day gets carried over many times. 

I think it's 8am to 8am. Actually helps carry over the lows. I believe the reason is just that that's when the observer was required to be there and submit the numbers.

erik1974

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:29 PM

erik1974

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Apparently, the rest of you think the -34 reading in Bergalnd on 4/1/1923 is legit.  It is just a bit questionable that even the December record low is only -30 set in 1983.  Also, Bergland typically does not seem to get as cold as Humboldt in a given cold wave.  

wx_statman

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:30 PM

wx_statman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3493 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Yeah, it's a pretty dumb way of doing things. They used to record from between 8-9pm to 8-9pm the following day. The COOP observers were advised to record anytime in that one-hour block nightly, for the trailing 24 hours. That strategy was borrowed from the Signal Service which the COOP network superseded. The Signal Service recorded from 8pm to 8pm, trailing 24 hours. So back in the late 19th/early 20th centuries, both the maximums and minimums usually landed on the correct calendar day. Then at some point in the 20th century observation times were changed to 7am to include the trailing 24 hours. So the maximums were from the previous day, and minimums were for the current morning in most cases.

• Kayla likes this

wx_statman

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:32 PM

wx_statman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3493 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Apparently, the rest of you think the -34 reading in Bergalnd on 4/1/1923 is legit.  It is just a bit questionable that even the December record low is only -30 set in 1983.  Also, Bergland typically does not seem to get as cold as Humboldt in a given cold wave.  

We went back and forth on that reading for a while. You can go back through this thread if you wish.

Phil

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:04 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14556 posts
  • LocationCabin John, MD.

Apparently, the rest of you think the -34 reading in Bergalnd on 4/1/1923 is legit. It is just a bit questionable that even the December record low is only -30 set in 1983. Also, Bergland typically does not seem to get as cold as Humboldt in a given cold wave.

That record clearly bothers you for some reason.
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...BETHE62#history

Cold season 2017/18:
Snowfall: 0"
Largest snowfall: 0"
Number of winter events: 0
Coldest High 67*F
Coldest low: 44*F
Highest sustained wind: 17mph
Highest wind gust: 26mph

wx_statman

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:18 AM

wx_statman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3493 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

For the sake of accuracy - you're looking at the modern "Bergland Dam" station that only extends back to 1948. This station doesn't appear to be as much of a cold spot as the original Bergland. The original Bergland also recorded -29 on 3/27/1913, so readings in the -30 range are (were) definitely possible at that time of year.

The original Bergland station existed from 1909-1925. 

Also, regarding the comparison to December - the month of December is not a big cold wave producer in the upper Midwest. Their winter season really peaks after January 1st. Between 1909-1925, the lowest December reading in the entire state of Michigan was -38. Meanwhile, March had dropped to -40 or lower in three separate years (1913, 1917, 1920). 

Having said all that, it's certainly possible that the -34 at Bergland on 4/1/1923 was erroneous. The thermometer may have been placed too low to the ground, or alcohol condensation in the bulb caused an erroneously low reading (a known problem at the time), or the observer was simply fibbing in order to make his numbers look more impressive. All three of those things used to happen at COOP stations. 

However, given that Humboldt was -30 on 4/1/1923, Mio on the lower peninsula was -23, and three different stations were between -30F and -32F across Lake Superior in southern Ontario that morning, I don't think there's enough evidence to outright dismiss the Bergland reading. Just my opinion.

erik1974

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:14 AM

erik1974

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I think you all might me right about the Bergland reading.  If so, it is the coldest 'reliably measured' temperature ever to occur in April in the Lower 48.  The -35 in Colorado and -36 in New Mexico are highly questionable.

• Phil likes this