December Weather In the PNW

BLI snowman

The WRF is terrible with inversions.  It was way too warm today.

Not here and not in Seattle.   It was right on target today... upper 40s to around 50 (it was 50 at UW in Seattle).

And it is usually pretty bad but has been doing well this week.  The ECMWF does much better and it shows the next couple days being warmer and better mixed.  

Time will tell!  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I drove into Pateros one cold night and the steam from the factors was making it snow. Also that little area can get pretty snowy. Didn't you live around there?

I split my time there between Omak and Pateros. I rented a little house right on the Methow in town and had an opportunity to buy it just before I came back to the west side. It was probably the right decision but I kick myself all things considered. It'd be nice to have an excuse to go back over there more often.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Hard to complain about the 00Z GFS.   Models are certainly trending in the right direction.    There is tons of potential with that pattern.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

This is really good stuff!  That is a classic Fraser outflow signature. Tons of potential.

post-222-0-19229200-1512795040_thumb.png

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Time for the ECMWF to jump on board.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Now this is what I call a White Christmas!

Screen_Shot_2017_12_08_at_9_53_45_PM
  • Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Just amazing potential emerging now. Probably best I've seen since 2008. 00z CMC not quite as good but pattern is very similar just lacking amplification with Aleutian ridge.

Did you sleep through December 2016? That was without a doubt the most amazing month of model runs I've ever seen.

I tried to. I think there is a higher potential this go around for a legit, widespread blast.

Definitely. It didn't happen last winter. This winter, for the most part, hasn't happened yet. I don't remember too many people down playing last December/early January's potential though...

Definitely. It didn't happen last winter. This winter, for the most part, hasn't happened yet. I don't remember too many people down playing last December/early January's potential though...

Oh yeah for sure, I'm just speaking to the possibility of a major old timer arctic blast. It seems very real.

Everything I'm seeing points to tomorrow being colder than today for the Seattle area.  Pretty much everywhere is running solidly colder than this time last night with a lot more fog around.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Everything I'm seeing points to tomorrow being colder than today for the Seattle area.  Pretty much everywhere is running solidly colder than this time last night with a lot more fog around.

More likely about the same from SEA south to OLM where there will be little mixing like today (that includes your area too).

It will probably be warmer here and in the Snoqualmie Valley through the city of Seattle and north to Bellingham.     And on the WA coast.  

Look at the 12Z ECMWF surface map for today and for tomorrow.   It was perfect today.  

This was today:

ecmwf_t2max_seattle_3.png

And tomorrow:

ecmwf_t2max_seattle_7.png

One thing I love is how all the models (and their ensembles) agree on rising heights over the Aleutians after next weekend with a generally flat ridge over the PNW. 

Exact placement, amplification, etc. will work itself out but that is a nice player to have on the field regardless.

Absolutely.   I really expected this to evolve into a 2-3 week period of wet, zonal flow.   I am pleasantly surprised about being wrong!  

Now this is what I call a White Christmas!

Screen_Shot_2017_12_08_at_9_53_45_PM.png

Almost, but not quite. That low needs to be 250 miles south.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Woe there, it hasn't happened yet.

I don't see wet, zonal flow coming.    

But you are correct.    Best to not count your chickens before they hatch.  

Seems others also see the behavior you routinely act like in crazy for pointing out. ;)

Yes... Matt has never called us out.   He called you out today as well but you vehemently protested that assessment.   Denial.    ;)