December Weather In the PNW

BLI snowman

It was 12 in Bend when I left for work this morning. Up at 6300’ it’s 35. Going to be a warm one today above the inversion.

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

Santa will be making a westerly approach at PDX according to the 12z.

Good old 10L is my favorite!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Sounds of the wind here this morning before the sun comes up...

https://vimeo.com/246594215

I love that sound. That dull roar through the trees basically defines winter for me.

Pretty good 12z run.  A legit cold shot and then a ridge moves in right over us again.  At the end of the run another ridge apporoaches from the WNW which promises another round of retrogression.  Many freezing low temps the remainder of the month if this verifies.  FWIW the CFS is showing cold on every run now.  In fact out of the last 4 all showed multiple cold shots over the next 45 days.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Pretty good 12z run.  A legit cold shot and then a ridge moves in right over us again.  At the end of the run another ridge apporoaches from the WNW which promises another round of retrogression.  Many freezing low temps the remainder of the month if this verifies.  FWIW the CFS is showing cold on every run now.  In fact out of the last 4 all showed multiple cold shots over the next 45 days.

Again those are the ensembles?  The "operational" or control run or whatever that is  has been showing warm for most of the last week or runs.

Again those are the ensembles?  The "operational" or control run or whatever that is  has been showing warm for most of the last week or runs.

I'm a bit confused about all of that.  The way they present it on the Weatherbell site doesn't make it totally clear.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

12z ensembles are actually super decent.

Many members get into the -7 to -8 range.  One thing people need to keep in mind is if we get a shot of legit cold (especially if it's with snow) going into a ridge again is not a bad thing as long as it doesn't last too long.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The easterly gradients are stronger this morning than what had been advertised on previous model runs so today may be a bit warmer than yesterday in some places.  On the other hand the angle of the gradient might mitigate that.  Tomorrow's gradient looks more like yesterday (if that actually verifies).

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

At the wx.graphics site, they have the CFS monthlies, and from there, you can go to the "last 25 stamps" and see the trend.  But I don't think it is emsembles, probably the operational.

On Weatherbell even the monthly composite is looking decent for January.  Besides that I am confident about January anyway.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The easterly gradients are stronger this morning than what had been advertised on previous model runs so today may be a bit warmer than yesterday in some places.  On the other hand the angle of the gradient might mitigate that.  Tomorrow's gradient looks more like yesterday (if that actually verifies).

The easterly gradient was shown to be stronger today on every single run this week of the WRF and ECMWF.

The gradient angle will mitigate that for the South Sound for sure as I mentioned last night.  

That being said... SEA is back down to 1/8th mile visibility in fog so clearly the easterly gradients have slacked off there.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Up to 44 here now with a brisk wind continuing.   

My son is skiing at Alpental and said its absolutely freezing at the bottom in the clouds and very warm at the top in the sunshine.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Many members get into the -7 to -8 range.  One thing people need to keep in mind is if we get a shot of legit cold (especially if it's with snow) going into a ridge again is not a bad thing as long as it doesn't last too long.

We should make it clear to this ridge in no uncertain terms that it's presence here is not entirely appreciated... Hopefully it will take the hint and head west...

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

I did find an interesting web site for CFS ensembles, and I looked up the guys name who runs it, and he is a "Science & Operations Officer at NOAA/National Weather Service", so it is a legit site, even though it is not a .gov site.  http://cfs.hopwrf.info/  Good tools there, lots of maps.  It says " The output on this site is based on a 20-member ensemble generated from the four daily CFS control runs (00, 06, 12, & 18 UTC) over the past five days. Output is updated as each cycle is processed, and is typically available approximately 15 hours after cycle time (e.g. output which includes the latest 00 UTC run is available around 15 UTC)."

cfs ensembles.png

cfs ensembles temp.png

Tomorrow the ECMWF shows more of a northerly gradient around Seattle.   That provides more mixing for the South Sound compared to today.

ecmwf_slp_uv10m_washington_7.png

Puget Sound and Willamette Valley well below normal.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Should be a good view of the St. Johns Bridge and Sauvie Island.

One of the most beautiful approaches in the lower 48 IMO.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

I did find an interesting web site for CFS ensembles, and I looked up the guys name who runs it, and he is a "Science & Operations Officer at NOAA/National Weather Service", so it is a legit site, even though it is not a .gov site.  http://cfs.hopwrf.info/  Good tools there, lots of maps.  It says " The output on this site is based on a 20-member ensemble generated from the four daily CFS control runs (00, 06, 12, & 18 UTC) over the past five days. Output is updated as each cycle is processed, and is typically available approximately 15 hours after cycle time (e.g. output which includes the latest 00 UTC run is available around 15 UTC)."

Good!  That clears up the mystery of the ensemble vs operational question.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Landing in Seattle is prettier. :)

Seattle is beautiful as well, but runway 10 at PDX is stunning over St. Johns along the Columbia looking dead on at Mt. Hood.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Good!  That clears up the mystery of the ensemble vs operational question.

Yeah, I thought that they ran CFS ensembles like they did the GFS and Euro ensembles.  I found this at the NOAA site:

"How many CFS forecasts should be combined into an ensemble?

Because climate runs are done daily from different sets of initial conditions, we can combine the different runs to give an ensemble of climate forecasts.  Multiple climate runs allow climate forecasters to obtain probabilities for seasonal precipitation and temperature anomalies.  Given the uncertainty in climate forecasts, this is a natural application of the ensemble method.  The CPC uses around 40 CFS forecasts to obtain reasonable climate forecast probabilities and a good ensemble mean climate forecast."

Tropical Tidbits does their weekly based on 48 forecasts, or 12 days.  That other web site does it over 5 days, or 20 runs.  CPS says 40 runs or 10 days, but I wonder if that is for the monthlies, not the weeklies.    And I think the above statement was written several years ago, before version 2, and maybe before they even did the weeklies.  Anyway, regardless of number, now we know how they do their ensembles.

• Like 1

Seattle is beautiful as well, but runway 10 at PDX is stunning over St. Johns along the Columbia looking dead on at Mt. Hood.

San Francisco during landing is also quite stunning on a clear day!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

This is actually better than it sounds.  These are broken into three groups.  Below, near normal, and above.  If you have a 50% chance of below that means you only have a 25% chance of above.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I’ve heard landing a floatplane on Lake Goodwin and spooking the jetskiiers there is quite satisfying as well.

Nah the jetskiiers love to race the float planes that are landing and taking off!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!