December Weather In the PNW

BLI snowman

Wow, you're really on the Jim warpath tonight.

Not really.    Just pointing out what the models show.  

I go weeks and week without saying anything negative... I say the next couple days might be a little disappointing and now I am on the 'warpath'?

Just waiting for something to jump on?    :lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

29 degrees out, which is running 2 degrees colder than yesterday. Maybe I can bag a low in the teens tonight. I'm seriously regretting not winterizing my sprinkler system. This fake cold has really overperformed down here.

I don’t remember blowing out sprinklers in the fall in Eugene does that happen there too? Of course I only had a sprinkler system 2 years there and I was in college so I could have been oblivious to our landlord having that done.

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

Plateaued at 21 for the last few hours as freezing fog settles in. Enough to squeeze out a few flurries.

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

Not really.    Just pointing out what the models show.  

I don't say anything negative for weeks and weeks... I say the next couple days might be a little disappointing and now I am on the 'warpath'?

Just waiting for me to say anything?    :lol:

No, but it sure looked like you were just waiting for him to say something. With bated breath!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

A forum for the end of the world.

00z!!!!!!!! Perform for us!!!!!!!

It will probably be decent to some extent.  Even the EPS and GFS ensembles have shown a good pattern developing during week two.

BTW I forgot to mention the last 4 CFS runs have all shown it getting cold somewhere in the late Dec to mid Jan time frame.  Almost every run the past few days have been good.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

No, but it sure looked like you were just waiting for him to say something. With bated breath!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

He's mad because I was right about it getting cold at SEA.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

He's mad because I was right about it getting cold at SEA.

Are you serious?   I am mad?     :lol:

I thought it was a discussion.   No surprise today at all.   Always shown to be the coolest day.    Still got up to 50 in Seattle and here.    I made a post around noon that SEA could be stuck in the 30s today with the fog holding tough.   You should go back and review the day's posts.   Also posted some really cool fog scenes from Seattle this morning.

We will see what happens tomorrow and Sunday.    Ridges do tend to stagnant over time.   Its an absolute given in the winter in the PNW and to be expected.   But models do show mixing rebounding tomorrow.      

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Down to 28 in Monmouth

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Yup. It gets so old.

This is so stupid.  Everyone knows that ridges get colder the longer they sit over us in the winter.    Why would I be mad a predicting the obvious?   The SEA NWS ran headlines on it all week... so did the Seattle Times.    The theme everywhere was its going to get colder and foggier as the week goes on.   

I am just saying the models have shown mixing rebounding a little over the weekend.    That is all.   Tough to predict fine details.

This is so stupid. Everyone knows that ridges get colder the longer they sit over us in the winter. Why would I be mad a predicting the obvious? The SEA NWS ran headlines on it all week... so did the Seattle Times. The theme everywhere was its going to get colder and foggier as the week goes on.

I am just saying the models have shown mixing rebounding a little over the weekend. That is all. Tough to predict fine details.

It was just how you reacted to Jim being excited about the cold. How you always do.

A forum for the end of the world.

It was just how you reacted to Jim being excited about the cold. How you always do.

He has reacted many times in the last few months about cold... I have not said anything negative.    Always?   :rolleyes:

The WRF does show an area of colder temps tomorrow around the South Sound where it was today as well.   

The rest of the area does look warmer tomorrow.    Except Portland where the outflow looks quite cold.  

12-9.png

Guest El nina

The WRF does show an area of colder temps tomorrow around the South Sound where it was today as well.

The rest of the area does look warmer tomorrow. Except Portland where the outflow looks quite cold.

12-9.png

Posting that map REALLY makes me dislike you.

Day 9 - somewhat similar to 18z so far

gfs_z500_mslp_npac_37.png

Not hard to imagine a good outcome there.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Posting that map REALLY makes me dislike you.

The WRF is terrible with inversions.  It was way too warm today.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I don’t remember blowing out sprinklers in the fall in Eugene does that happen there too? Of course I only had a sprinkler system 2 years there and I was in college so I could have been oblivious to our landlord having that done.

The guy that installed the sprinkler system said that there generally won't be any problems unless it gets into the teens for an extended period of time, usually low teens.  It was installed the summer after the Dec 2013 -10 cold snap.  I usually don't winterize unless there is some serious cold forecast.  My pipes and most of my friends' pipes froze in Dec 2013.