June Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Geos

If this winter is as cold as 1968-69 I’ll eat the chair swinging at my face.

The Cubs won the WS. Dennis Rodman, Kim Kardashian, and Kanye West are top advisors to president Donald Trump, who just publicly embraced “little Rocket Man”, who’s country he threatened to nuke at a UN address. Oh, and the Caps won the Stanley Cup.

Topping 1969 would be a small feat by comparison. :lol:

Throw me a bone. I’m not asking for any specific prediction for next winter. Just the general reasoning behind your prediction for a long term cycle of bigger winters.

It’s theoretically possible, but there are so many whens, whys, and hows re: how it may or may not happen, that it’s a difficult prediction to make.

Low solar/ENSO trends mainly for this coming winter and climate oscillations for the longer term cycle. I'll get into more detail as we get closer to winter.

Heat waves in June don't happen often here in June though. We are still 1.5 months away from the peak of our summers here in the PNW.

Same here..August is our nastiest month. The reason congress takes recess in August is because the heat was so unbearable back when there was no AC or electricity that they all just packed up and left town.

Over the years it became a tradition of sorts. This place almost feels like a ghost town between July 25th and August 25th. The air is dead calm. It’s hazy. There are cicadas screaming day and night. Almost everyone leaves, us included. It’s such a heavy feeling..you just have to get away from it.

And since Mitch McConnell cancelled the recess this year, my guess is it will be as swampy as ever with all that hot air being pumped out of the White House.

• Like 1

PDX is within striking distance of 100 again on the 00Z ECMWF on Wednesday and Thursday (about 5 degrees warmer than the 12Z run).   It shows 95 both days... but PDX has a tendency to over-perform.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Nice pattern change on the D11-15 EPS control run, and over half of the ensemble members.

D5-10:

D53qPVi.png

D10-15:

n2wZE0c.png

• Like 1

Nice pattern change on the D11-15 EPS control run, and over half of the ensemble members.

A cooler period has definitely come into view now on the EPS towards the end of the month on the last few runs.    Its not always warm in the day 10-15 period.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

One thing I'm trying to understand..  I know you want cooler weather for your visit, but that's over a month away, right?  What is your investment in our weather?  Sometimes I get the feeling you've taken 10 to 1 odds with a Las Vegas bookie on our weather outcomes...

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

One thing I'm trying to understand..  I know you want cooler weather for your visit, but that's over a month away, right?  What is your investment in our weather?  Sometimes I get the feeling you've taken 10 to 1 odds with a Las Vegas bookie on our weather outcomes...

With Phil, it's generally the following mix:

33% genuine weather interest

33% trolling

33% rooting for an outcome that relates to something he's said

A forum for the end of the world.

With Phil, it's generally the following mix:

33% genuine weather interest

33% trolling

33% rooting for an outcome that relates to something he's said

The remaining 1% must be financial....  :lol:

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

One thing I'm trying to understand.. I know you want cooler weather for your visit, but that's over a month away, right? What is your investment in our weather? Sometimes I get the feeling you've taken 10 to 1 odds with a Las Vegas bookie on our weather outcomes...

A number of reasons, but to boil it down, I’m invested in the weather and climate anomalies across the globe. Not just in my own backyard. That would be an incredibly myopic and ignorant view of things if my interest in the weather was confined just to my region.

Also, the vast majority of my extended family lives in the Seattle area, and I’ve always loved the feel of the area everytime I’ve visited. I’ve been to Chelan, Yakima, Leavenworth, Everett, Matlock, Seattle, and Vancouver, and loved all of them.

I follow the weather in FL and coastal GA (another region close to my heart) just as much as I follow the weather in the PNW. But nobody here lives in FL/GA, so it’s less relevant in my commentary.

Holy mama..check out the upper NATL subsurface temperature anomalies.

Still early, but this really does have the structure of a developing NATL cold event. Persistent Baffin Vortex is starting to take its toll on the AMOC..it’s sort of being knocked over to the right as the polar front keeps expanding southward along with the westerlies. Not your typical +NAO.

5zJsTqy.jpg

OT, but I found out I have a big retaining wall job on Monday..and low and behold, the HiRes ECMWF has a high of 99*F that day with a dewpoint of 78*F. With near maximum solar angles.

Bloody motherf**ker. I’ll lose my s**t if anyone complains about 75*F highs on here again.

• Like 1

OT, but I found out I have a big retaining wall job on Monday..and low and behold, the HiRes ECMWF has a high of 99*F that day with a dewpoint of 78*F.

Bloody motherf**ker. I’ll lose my s**t if anyone complains about 75*F highs on here again.

We don't complain much about 75-degree weather.

Its the 55-degree weather in the warm season that brings the complaints.    But again... we don't consider your hellish summer weather when considering our own preferences.    :lol:

Its the 55-degree weather in the warm season that brings the complaints. But again... we don't consider your hellish summer weather when considering our own preferences. :lol:

You heat misers are unappreciative, spoiled brats. ;)

I’ll be on my knees begging for 55*F drizzle as I’m lugging heavy stones across the job site Monday.

• Like 1

Its the 55-degree weather in the warm season that brings the complaints.    But again... we don't consider your hellish summer weather when considering our own preferences.    :lol:

SEA hasn't had a day with a high in the 50s since April.  :lol:

Meanwhile, there have been 10 days with 75+ highs since then.

• Like 1

Well... we know Montana is not dry.   In fact they are expecting more heavy rain and flooding.

And not even all of western WA or OR is dry over the last couple weeks per that map.    Some areas have been wetter than normal.

And we are still doing just fine up here when looking at 2018 so far... and we had a good soaking over the last week.  :)

anomimage.gif

SEA hasn't had a day with a high in the 50s since April. :lol:

Thank you. But facts don’t matter on here. 75 degrees with low humidity is hypothermia-inducing. Baffin Island weather. Ugly, depressing, suicide-inducing crap that no human being should have to endure. A travesty.

Upper 90s are preferable. Low 100s would be even better. And anything above 110*F is nirvana!

• Like 1

SEA hasn't had a day with a high in the 50s since April.  :lol:

I did not say 55-degree highs... I said 55-degree weather.    ;)

There have been numerous days that were in the 50s well into the afternoon.    

Thank you. But facts don’t matter on here. 75 degrees with low humidity is hypothermia-inducing. Baffin Island weather. Ugly, depressing, suicide-inducing crap that Mo human being should have to endure. A travesty.

Upper 90s are preferable. Low 100s would be even better. And anything above 110*F is nirvana!

The meltdowns on here would be pretty epic if next week’s heat evolved into beautiful 75 degree weather with a morning marine layer.

Thank you. But facts don’t matter on here. 75 degrees with low humidity is hypothermia-inducing. Baffin Island weather. Ugly, depressing, suicide-inducing crap that Mo human being should have to endure. A travesty.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuude.

You are making sh*t up now to vent your own frustrations with your own weather based on your own preferences.

I understand that.    I get very annoyed too when its not pleasant to be outside for long stretches based on my own preferences.

But nobody on here complains about 75-degree sunshine and low humidity.    Hell... I was saying that last weekend was fairly decent with highs in the low 60s and alternating sun and downpours.

You are just ranting about nothing because you want to rant.    

I did not say 55-degree highs... I said 55-degree weather.    ;)

There have been numerous days that were in the 50s well into the afternoon.    

Numerous? Maybe a few, but far more days in the 60s and 70s in the afternoon. At least for areas outside your little microclimate.

It's been a warm, dry warm season so far. No way around that.

The meltdowns on here would be pretty epic if next week’s heat evolved into beautiful 75 degree weather with a morning marine layer.

Oh hell yes. I’m doing everything in my power to will such a development into reality.

Watching this place imlode would 100% be worth the price of me torching. God forbid anyone be forced to endure the torture that is 70 degree temperatures under party cloudy skies and fresh, clean, marine air. Oh, the horror!

Numerous? Maybe a few, but far more days in the 60s and 70s in the afternoon. At least for areas outside your little microclimate.

It's been a warm, dry warm season so far. No way around that.

Sure... above average and dry overall since mid April.    Although SEA is running colder than normal for June at the half-way point.  

But our normal May and June weather can be annoying.    ;)

Oh hell yes. I’m doing everything in my power to will such a development into reality.

Watching this place imlode would 100% be worth the price of me torching. God forbid anyone be forced to endure the torture that is 70*F highs under party cloudy skies and fresh, clean, marine air. Oh, the horror!

You would hear not any complaints from me if next week was partly cloudy and in the 70s.    You are creating a straw man to facilitate your venting about your own weather.    :lol: