June Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Geos

I could be mixing up Mark nelsens blog at the time, but I do seem to remember discussing the epic snowstorm in Portland which I believe took place in either December 2004 or January 2005.

I want to say Mark’s blog started on 12/1/05.

His first post was about the snowstorm that ended up being an epic bust for the NWS. That was leading into the fake cold snap that held on through the overrunning event on the 18th.

I could be mixing up Mark nelsens blog at the time, but I do seem to remember discussing the epic snowstorm in Portland which I believe took place in either December 2004 or January 2005.

I don't remember an epic snowstorm in Dec 2004 or Jan 2005. I was in Eugene at the time and the only snow from that whole winter that I remember was a mix in some 1000-500 ft event.

You're probly thinking of the Dec 2003 into Jan 2004 event which I think was the only major snow event for the valley between the mid 90s and Dec 2008.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Your math seems a little off

Yep. Ok 8x

Too early for math at 7am. lol

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

I don't remember an epic snowstorm in Dec 2004 or Jan 2005. I was in Eugene at the time and the only snow from that whole winter that I remember was a mix in some 1000-500 ft event.

You're probly thinking of the Dec 2003 into Jan 2004 event which I think was the only major snow event for the valley between the mid 90s and Dec 2008.

January 2005 is infamous for the complete model collapse leading up to what looked like an all-time historic event.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

January 2005 is infamous for the complete model collapse leading up to what looked like an all-time historic event.

What was the progression? Models made it looke like a slam dunk until 4 days before then it all slid east? I didn't start model riding until 2008.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

What was the progression? Models made it looke like a slam dunk until 4 days before then it all slid east? I didn't start model riding until 2008.

I don't remember the details... but I think it ended up swinging way out over the ocean.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Almost 2.5 inches of rain here in the last 6 days... it is truly sopping wet out there. 

Now lets get this warm and dry party started!  

It could be January of 2004. Portland got hammered compared to the rest of the valley due to the gorge pumping out east winds throughout the event.

The c zone is such an interesting phenomenon. There was barely a cloud in the sky up here yesterday evening.

We finally went to see Deadpool 2 last night... the drive from Issaquah to home afterwards was like going through an endless car wash.   

Just dumping rain and visibility was terrible.  Lots of ponding on the freeway.

It could be January of 2004. Portland got hammered compared to the rest of the valley due to the gorge pumping out east winds throughout the event.

West valley too. Cold air dam tends to keep them in the snow longer generally west of I-5 about as far south as Corvallis sometimes while southerly winds come up the east valley.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

We finally went to see Deadpool 2 last night... the drive from Issaquah to home afterwards was like going through an endless car wash.

Just dumping rain and visibility was terrible. Lots of ponding on the freeway.

How was it?

And yea, I noticed some strong radar returns when I got home from work yesterday. Around 930

How was it?

And yea, I noticed some strong radar returns when I got home from work yesterday. Around 930

Expectations are higher for any sequel... not quite as good as the first one but still very good. Laugh out loud funny too.

West valley too. Cold air dam tends to keep them in the snow longer generally west of I-5 about as far south as Corvallis sometimes while southerly winds come up the east valley.

Yep that's part of the reason I chose the west side of town in the hills. The foothills to the east even at the highest elevations I have seen screwed more times than not due to the warm tongue.

Yep that's part of the reason I chose the west side of town in the hills. The foothills to the east even at the highest elevations I have seen screwed more times than not due to the warm tongue.

Try to keep the sex stuff out of this discussion.   :lol:

Also be prepared for lots of freezing rain! I moved from 1,100' in the west hills a year and a half ago and my location ALWAYS held on to ZR far longer than anywhere else. Lost power there multiple times a winter for long durations because of it. Was one of the reasons we decided on the move in all honesty. But then January 2017 happened...

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Just thought I'd share this, I saw this floating around on social media.  It pretty clearly communicates how people here feel about the need to shake off winter doldrums, and their desire for warm summer weather.  So this is mainly for Phil's benefit, who is under the illusion that everyone in the PNW must enjoy cool, drizzly weather all summer.  :lol:

1st-person-to-complain-about-the-heat-this-summer-gets-a-high-5-in-the-face-with-a-chair--c3072.png

• Like 2

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

Try to keep the sex stuff out of this discussion. :lol:

Zero chance that happens here anymore.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

I think encouraging violence towards those who don’t agree with my weather preferences could really take this forum to the next level!

Nobody is encouraging violence, it's just some crass internet humor... :lol:

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

The c zone is such an interesting phenomenon. There was barely a cloud in the sky up here yesterday evening.

It is interesting. It was low clouds and a moderate rain for the most part from 5:30 pm to sometime after midnight. 

Now it's clearing up pretty quickly to the west. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

This map really illustrates the localized nature of the heavy rain recently. Most places are still easily below normal for the month.

attachicon.gifMonthPNormWRCC-NW.png

Clearly the heavy rain yesterday was localized to northern and central King County... very typical thanks to our favorable c-zone location.     

Also why I never worry about rain... it always comes around here even when the rest of the region is dry.   

Just thought I'd share this, I saw this floating around on social media.  It pretty clearly communicates how people here feel about the need to shake off winter doldrums, and their desire for warm summer weather.  So this is mainly for Phil's benefit, who is under the illusion that everyone in the PNW must enjoy cool, drizzly weather all summer.  :lol:

As long as it's ok to high five people in the face with chairs when they start complaining about anything besides heat!

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

This map really illustrates the localized nature of the heavy rain recently. Most places are still easily below normal for the month.

attachicon.gifMonthPNormWRCC-NW.png

Will be able to chip away at the deficit in northern half of King after all the rain is added up from this event. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

It is interesting. It was low clouds and a moderate rain for the most part from 5:30 pm to sometime after midnight. 

Now it's clearing up pretty quickly to the west. 

Woke up to pouring rain but now there is lots of blue sky and the sun is coming out.    Don't need to water until sometime next week now... its back to being very wet here. 

Woke up to pouring rain but now there is lots of blue sky and the sun is coming out.    Don't need to water until sometime next week now... its back to being very wet here. 

What do you average out there annually? 70"?

Mercer Island, 350 ft

What do you average out there annually? 70"?

North Bend averages around 60 inches.

I believe it is above 80 inches up here though.    

North Bend averages around 60 inches.

I believe it is above 80 inches up here though.    

Ok. Probably almost double to here.

I found this page. Looks like about 64-65" in town.

https://www.northbendweather.com/wxrainsummary.php

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Ok. Probably almost double to here.

I found this page. Looks like about 64-65" in town.

https://www.northbendweather.com/wxrainsummary.php

Yeah... but that really only covers this decade and its been a really wet decade.   Maybe that is the new normal though... warmer and wetter.

Mariners are 20 games over .500 and playing like they don't have a care in the world. Could it be real this year? They are really fun to watch this season.

The Yankees will dispatch them in short order. :)

Just thought I'd share this, I saw this floating around on social media. It pretty clearly communicates how people here feel about the need to shake off winter doldrums, and their desire for warm summer weather. So this is mainly for Phil's benefit, who is under the illusion that everyone in the PNW must enjoy cool, drizzly weather all summer. :lol:

:lol:

Spend a summer here and see if you still like heat afterwards. Everyone I know loves cool, cloudy days during the summer. There is no debate. It’s just a fact that drizzly, cloudy weather is preferable to heat and/or humidity.

End of story.

Also be prepared for lots of freezing rain! I moved from 1,100' in the west hills a year and a half ago and my location ALWAYS held on to ZR far longer than anywhere else. Lost power there multiple times a winter for long durations because of it. Was one of the reasons we decided on the move in all honesty. But then January 2017 happened...

January 2017 was epic! And luckily for me I have the ability to work remotely so I say bring it on! I've been thinking of buying a generator as well.

• Like 1

Westerlies downwelling through the upper stratosphere.

Good chance we’ll have another mixed-QBO winter in 2018/19, but opposite of last winter in the sense that we’ll have westerlies at/above 40mb and easterlies at/below 50mb.

Singapore_u.png

• Like 1

EPS @ D6.

The PNW is (once again) experiencing the most anomalous warmth of anywhere on the planet. :lol:

lrV1vE3.png

• Like 1