January 2014 in the PNW

TT-SEA

The way the models have trended... and given his super confident predictions... we might not see Jim back on here until August.

Too bad that it has to be so extreme with him.   This is the problem with being so incredibly positive about something that doesn't work that way.    You crash hard when you have to deal with reality.

Give him credit for being close.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Tim, stop antagonizing Jim. You've beat this horse to death. We get that you seek enjoyment in making sure Jim's (albeit unrealistic) model interpretation are disproven. But at the same time, at what point does the sound of Jim's broken record of "the cold is coming" get overtaken by the sound of your "Jim's wrong"?

How about we focus more on the models and less on trying to embarrass one another, and that goes for both Jim and Tim. Jim needs to stop harping on posters who don't see an excitably cold solution, and Tim needs to stop harping on the overly optimistic posters (albeit they did antagonize him initially, and we know Tim is overdramatize).

Cut the ** for tat; discuss the weather like big boys. Thanks.

You act like they don't like each other. Your wrong and this has always been this way with them. It's part of the spice of the forum.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Give him credit for being close.

I don't want to really discuss this more... but when you say something is always coming you will be close once in awhile and even right sometimes.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You act like they don't like each other. Your wrong and this has always been this way with them. It's part of the spice of the forum.

I respect Jim and think he is a GREAT person.   Being super positive about cold weather in the PNW all the time might not be a way to be a good forecaster (or for your mental health)... but it is a great formula for living your life in general.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

12z is BullZhizzzz. Seriosuly how much of a broken record can this winter have?

At least the mountains are getting a nice remodel this week.

Good news... 850mb temps should stay cold enough to keep all the snow in the mountains in good condition for the foreseeable future.

12Z Canadian at 144 hours:

http://weather.gc.ca/data/model_forecast/colour_images/12_054_G1_north@america@zoomout_I_4PAN_CLASSIC@012_144.jpg

Like I’ve said all winter. It will only take 1 week of cold/snowy weather to fill our empty tummies with happy feelings. Whether it is February 6th through 12th, or February 23rd through the 29th (are there 29 days in February this year?)... Either way, if we get a nice dump, which is very possible next month, we won’t care when it happens. Lets just be patient at let it play out. If we don’t get hit the rest of the winter, you know what that means... Next winter we will be REALLLLLLLY DUE!  :wacko:

Pattern is looking excellent for mountain snows. You know it's been a bad year when hills back east have twice as much snow than mountains out west

Right now even in our dismal crappy year most of the resorts in WA still have more snow than most of the ski resorts back east. Just goes to show how inferior midwest/east coast skiing is.

But you are right, this year has been pathetic. But I will take most pathetic years out west compared to skiing east of the Rockies any day. =)

P.S. I enjoy SnowWizards posts. Hope he gets back in on the action soon.

I'm bitter that there were no runs open during my 7 weeks in BC... Oh well. I refuse to snowboard on these hills they call mountains out east. But many ski hills here have 55"+ on the ground whereas most slopes in Vancouver don't have more than 35" on the ground

I would imagine that Cypress Mountain sucked while you were here for your stay. But even a sub par place like Cypress will surpass most east coast snow fall totals in a few months. Thankfully there are still plenty of days left this season. ;)

12z Euro is a bit better at Day 6 & 7. The -10C 850 line makes it to Bellingham.

Hard to say for sure without precip maps, but hour 192 definitely looks potentially quite snowy.

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!192!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2014012912!!chart.gif

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Go 12Z Euro. All aboard... 

Started a separate thread where people can publicly post their snow predictions for February. Anyone have no shame and will admit a possible a snow shutout? 

http://50shadesofvan.com/blog/2014/1/28/snowfecta-february-snow-contest

50 Shades of Van: A weather blog dedicated to providing the public with easily accessible and downright interesting weather
information for Vancouver, BC and the Pacific Northwest

Latest Post: http://50shadesofvan.com/blog/2014/10/23/chaos-in-the-pacific-storm-parade-route-unknown

Here is the 12Z ECMWF at 180 hours... as far out as the precip maps go on this site.

http://s4.postimg.org/ak1hkxy5p/Untitled.jpg

On this run... it appears that low is moving down the coast and will swing in through Oregon.    Looks a December repeat... on this run.    

Guest Monty67

And the 12Z ECMWF is WAAAAAAAYYYY better.

Yes it is.

So a good gfs run with long range arctic air can generate pages of posts here, but the best euro run in days and I here crickets?

Hopefully things get good enough to bring Jim back.

Note how the operational GFS is entering its mid range warm bias period. It did the same thing in early December, taking a significant amount of the cold away about a week out before eventually caving back to the ensembles. 

Lets hope its that simple. 

The last few runs of the ECMWF were also in its mid-range warm bias phase then as well.   :)

12Z ECMWF ensemble is much less exciting than the operational run for next week.

Still chilly though.

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/eps/ensm/essential!Geopotential%20at%20500hPa!North%20America!192!pop!od!enfo!plot_ensm_essential!2014012912!!chart.gif

Disaster over here. A pipe leading into my basement has burst..water shorted out my circuit breaker & everything... I essentially have my own mini Niagara Falls going right now.

Can't help but think the frigid air is responsible..high temp of 7F today.

Here is the 12Z ECMWF at 180 hours... as far out as the precip maps go on this site.

On this run... it appears that low is moving down the coast and will swing in through Oregon.    Looks a December repeat... on this run.    

At face value you are right. Just saw this posted on Facebook.

1560628_10100463754600794_1749399051_n.j

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Guest Monty67

:D Ya it has been awesome up in the Washington Cascades all day. Definetly a nice change from what we have been getting the last couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, the mountains up here got nothing last night. Mount Washington is closing this afternoon until further notice. The groomers ran out of snow to push around and the runs are basically bare again.

http://www.mountwashington.ca/webcams/alpine/full2.jpg?447

Meanwhile, the mountains up here got nothing last night. Mount Washington is closing this afternoon until further notice. The groomers ran out of snow to push around and the runs are basically bare again.

http://www.mountwashington.ca/webcams/alpine/full2.jpg?447

Yep, nothing up at Mount Baker except for cold rain and a little snow on the highest runs. It also looks like Stevens is almost above freezing currently although temps should drop relatively soon.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

Yep, nothing up at Mount Baker except for cold rain and a little snow on the highest runs. It also looks like Stevens is almost above freezing currently although temps should drop relatively soon.

It's been a very tough year for the northern mountains, as I've said. I know loads of people who haven't even gone boarding this year. I've yet to see a Mt. Baker shot on my Facebook this season... shame. Nobody in BC is going!

Yeah. It's very unprecedented, especially when you look at how little snow is on the Vancouver Island mountain range. Unbelievable:

50 Shades of Van: A weather blog dedicated to providing the public with easily accessible and downright interesting weather
information for Vancouver, BC and the Pacific Northwest

Latest Post: http://50shadesofvan.com/blog/2014/10/23/chaos-in-the-pacific-storm-parade-route-unknown