June 2016 Observation and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

61 here last night, which makes 4 straight minimums of 60+.  I'm sure that must be a record of some kind, but there are no analogous official reporting stations nearby.  EUG is always several degrees cooler at night than my station because of its basin location.

Yeah, EUG proper only had one 60+ low for this event.

"How adorable..."

Then I explain that it was nice to feel things cooling down, and you mock me for thinking it was too hot.

You started this opinion war, not me. :)

I was mocking you because your opinions were clearly clouding your forecasting objectivity. There was essentially no chance of avoiding 90 yesterday.

You haven't quite grown up. It's adorable. No war, just an unfortunate reality.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I really hope we get a snowy December. Everything looks very nice and different under a snowy canvas. Plus it's been a long time since having a snowy December. 2008 maybe?

What was 2008 like up in your neck of the woods?

I really hope we get a snowy December. Everything looks very nice and different under a snowy canvas. Plus it's been a long time since having a snowy December. 2008 maybe?

A snowy December??   That is bound to raise controversy on here!    No opinions please.  :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Will a couple weeks of normal or slightly below normal temperatures wipe out the +12 departure SEA and the +13 departure at PDX after the first week of the month?

The contest hangs in the balance!

My intuition tells me the last week of June will be back above normal.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I had one rumble from a storm just to my south around 2pm, but storms are moving E-NE today so that one didn't get to reach my place.

Still counts as my 10th t'storm day though. I see additional activity trying to form well to my west. Maybe later something?

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 21
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

It will be interesting to see how the MOS guidance performs during this troughy period.    

Currently is shows mostly upper 60s to around 70 for SEA and PDX for the next week with the exception of Saturday which is in the low to mid 60s.

If it performs like it usually does... it will run 2-3 degrees cooler than actual most days.    I suppose in this pattern it also comes down to specific timing of rain and cloudy periods.

Just had a nice little shower move through here, unexpected! Smells/feels like the south!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Just had a nice little shower move through here, unexpected! Smells/feels like the south!

Or like the PNW after a warm spell with some convection. Also happens here every year too. :)

Before you give up hope completely, check the 6-hr max temp report on the PDX obs page at 10:53 p.m.  The inter-hour 90-degree high I observed on

Wundermap occurred at about 5:40 p.m., which might have been too late to make it onto the 7:00 daily report, but will be reflected on the 10:53 p.m. 6-hr entry.  If it was a valid number, that is.

Generally, any high temperature that occurs between 5 and 6pm is caught on the 7pm roundup.

I checked, and that was even the case with the rogue 100 on Sunday. Nobody seemed to notice until after 11, though. Myself included.

Well, shucks, guess I was wrong.

I wonder where that inter-hour reading of 90 on Wunderground came from?  It was definitely the PDX station.

They round up.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Sun and warmth this morning compared to the marine push gloom of yesterday morning. A pleasant surprise.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Remember the heatwave the Euro was showing for this weekend, last week?

Good times.

Yes. I do remember that.

12Z Canadian is also much less extreme than the 12Z GFS.

Before June is over... there will be another significant warm spell. Count on it. :)

Yes. I do remember that.

12Z Canadian is also much less extreme than the 12Z GFS.

Before June is over... there will be another significant warm spell. Count on it. :)

I am on vacation from June 28th-July 5th...I want that time period as the next significant warm spell!!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!