August 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

Why do you take him so seriously? And don't say you don't...you wouldn't feel the need to provide a rebuttal to everything he says otherwise.

I'm having lots of fun right now.  It's nothing but downhill from here for Tim for the next few years at least.  We have probably seen about the warmest run the last two years we will see in a long time.  The last time we had something similar was 1940 through part of 1942.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'm having lots of fun right now.  It's nothing but downhill from here for Tim for the next few years at least.  We have probably seen about the warmest run the last two years we will see in a long time.  The last time we had something similar was 1940 through part of 1942.

Ha!

You are just setting yourself up again.    Just last week you were on a tirade.   It will come again soon.   As always.    We love it here.   You hate it.  

I will own your location this winter!   And it has to be better than last winter regardless.   Season passes for skiing already purchased.   And the usual trips to warm, sunny places.   :)

Its also been a very pleasant summer as well.     I don't like extreme heat... my wife hates it.      Downhill from what?    

All that matters to you is that other people hate the weather and are shocked by it... pretty shallow.    And your self-imposed ongoing competition with the East Coast is classic silly stuff.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Everything has changed in a week!  

I have gotten to the point where I just loathe it here.  

I am almost considering doing a house swap with somebody that lives in a climate that would actually be enjoyable to me.  That could be more doable than having to go through all the rigamoral of selling and buying.

This climate can go f**k itself up, down, and sideways.

Pretty safe to say it's impossible to have a region wide cool August here anymore.  What a joke this summer has been. We were in a troughy pattern at least 80% of the time from mid June to August 10 with nothing to show for it temperature anomaly wise.  Now of course we get into a warm pattern and it achieves anywhere from what it should to major over performance.  This climate is nothing close to what it used to be and I hate it.  Pure and simple.

:lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

71° at 4pm - lovin' it!

86-87° respectively for Thursday and Friday on the Plateau. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

No doubt you two boys could go ** for tat for days with your irrationality over the years.

I have mellowed on complaining about the weather over the years.     It is what it is... always can travel or move.   I enjoyed very little of last October - April.    Not like I am dancing in the streets the last 2 years.   

Jim seems to be even more manic-depressive as he gets older.   He is 53.  

Another very interesting thing is the SE ridge being shown in tandem with the GOA ridge as we get into the weekend. Nice combo.

That GOA ridge is a thing of beauty.

The SE ridge can go f**k itself,

I have mellowed on complaining about the weather over the years. It is what it is... always can travel or move. I enjoyed very little of last October - April. Not like I am dancing in the streets the last 2 years.

Jim seems to be even more manic-depressive as he gets older. He is 53.

What's his SSN?

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

What's his SSN?

Actually maybe 52... he said he was born in 1964.  

Nonetheless.   

He has been talking of moving for years.   Not sure when he plans to do that but nobody is getting any younger here and he is in the lead.    There has never been a better time to sell a house in King County.   

Actually maybe 52... he said he was born in 1964.

Nonetheless.

He has been talking of moving for years. Not sure when he plans to do that but nobody is getting any younger here and he is in the lead. There has never been a better time to sell a house in King County.

I think you both need to move.

You should move to Phoenix or Miami. Jim should probably move to Maine or somewhere in the Great Lakes within one of the snow-belts.

Hey Jim... I saw you are a fan of Bob Rivers.    He bought a house across the road from us a few years back.    Did lots of additions and improvements on a house that was only 10 years old.   Really great guy... we had him over a few times and he would just come by and chat when we were out in the yard.   Anyways... he decided as he was getting older that he needed to be by family so they moved back to New Hampshire this summer.  Some of our other neighbors say he will back and that he will not be able to handle the cold winters there.  They did not sell the house yet.  

When he retired he said in an interview that we he will enjoying retirement in his little slice of heaven in the Cascade foothills.  

You should move to Phoenix or Miami. Jim should probably move to Maine or somewhere in the Great Lakes within one of the snow-belts.

I can't think of a place in the country that I would rather live.   I would absolutely hate Phoenix and Miami.     All of the warm places in this country have lots of problems that we do not have here.    And the cold places are too cold for me.  

I can't think of a place in the country that I would rather live. I would absolutely hate Phoenix and Miami. All of the warm places in this country have lots of problems that we do not have here. And the cold places are too cold for me.

You would like some areas around here. Main thing missing is large bodies of water - but there are still decent places to go boating.

A forum for the end of the world.

SEA managed to score a couple of small minus departures out of this trough.  Not bad considering the lofty heights we came down from.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Looks like a realistic shot at some decently chilly low temps tonight.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I have my sights set on Central WA or Western Montana.  Both have long stretches with snow on the ground every winter and lots of clear and cold days.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

You would like some areas around here. Main thing missing is large bodies of water - but there are still decent places to go boating.

Too brown for most of the year... and I don't like super dry air.    And the lack of trees and real lakes would really suck.    

We looked at Evergreen but that elevation is a killer.   I would not like the summer nights there and nothing seems to grow well looking at pictures of homes and landscaping.   Mostly dirt and pine trees.   

I absolutely love our lush scenery here.   

I have my sights set on Central WA or Western Montana.  Both have long stretches with snow on the ground every winter and lots of clear and cold days.

Hopefully you are not too old to enjoy it.     Time is a wastin'... you need to get somewhere you love.  

I have my sights set on Central WA or Western Montana. Both have long stretches with snow on the ground every winter and lots of clear and cold days.

Do you want to spend your entire life in one region, though?

My goal is to live in at least five different climate zones before I'm rotting in the ground.

Too brown for most of the year... and I don't like super dry air. And the lack of trees and real lakes would really suck.

We looked at Evergreen but that elevation is a killer. I would not like the summer nights there and nothing seems to grow well looking at pictures of homes and landscaping. Mostly dirt and pine trees.

What about somewhere in the Appalachian Mountains at/above 3000ft? Average snowfall between 100-200", tolerable summers w/ plenty of severe weather, and gorgeous springs/falls with plenty of color all around.

There's a reason I claimed I lived there. :P

What about somewhere in the Appalachian Mountains at/above 3000ft? Average snowfall between 100-200", tolerable summers w/ plenty of severe weather, and gorgeous springs/falls with plenty of colors.

Cultural wasteland.

We love the Seattle area for many reasons.   There are also many microclimates here so you can change your climate and still live in the same area 

Cultural wasteland.

We love the Seattle area for many reasons. There are also many microclimates here so you can change your climate and still live in the same area

Have you ever actually visited?

Too brown for most of the year... and I don't like super dry air.    And the lack of trees and real lakes would really suck.    

We looked at Evergreen but that elevation is a killer.   I would not like the summer nights there and nothing seems to grow well looking at pictures of homes and landscaping.   Mostly dirt and pine trees.   

Yeah, I do miss the lushness of the PNW much of the year. Though, the tradeoff is that from Nov-Mar, the ground here is covered in white quite often.  :wub:

There isn't a lack of trees really once you get in the foothills, but it's definitely true that at higher elevations, you wouldn't be able to grow as much. However, in Denver proper they've planted a ton of all types of trees over the years - lots of oaks and maples - and you can grow just about anything in your garden (granted, shorter growing season than some places).

The dry air would certainly do a number on your delicate skin, though. But your wife would love it for her hair.

Cultural wasteland.

We love the Seattle area for many reasons.   There are also many microclimates here so you can change your climate and still live in the same area 

Yeah, if you really hated rain enough but wanted to stay in the Seattle area, you could move to Sequim. Only 16"/year!

Yeah, I do miss the lushness of the PNW much of the year. Though, the tradeoff is that from Nov-Mar, the ground here is covered in white quite often.  :wub:

There isn't a lack of trees really once you get in the foothills, but it's definitely true that at higher elevations, you wouldn't be able to grow as much. However, in Denver proper they've planted a ton of all types of trees over the years - lots of oaks and maples - and you can grow just about anything in your garden (granted, shorter growing season than some places).

The dry air would certainly do a number on your delicate skin, though. But your wife would love it for her hair.

I like dry air in doses to break up the rain in the winter... but having it all the time would sort of suck.  

The problem there is that down near Denver there are very few natural trees... its really the west edge of the plains.    And as you go up higher... there are more trees and the climate gets much worse.   Snowstorms in May and September would really suck.    I honestly would hate that.  

I like dry air in doses to break up the rain in the winter... but having it all the time would sort of suck.  

The problem there is that down near Denver there are very few natural trees... its really the west edge of the plains.    And as you go up higher... there are more trees and the climate gets much worse.   Snowstorms in May and September would really suck.    I honestly would hate that.  

I definitely wouldn't mind more moisture, but I'll take dry air over high humidity.

Yes, very few native trees, but tons of planted ones that grow fine. 

Occasional snowstorms in May and September...but also days near 70 in mid winter. The variety in all seasons is pretty cool, I think. Rarely super hot or super cold for long. Just wish we got more precip overall.

The SE ridge can go f**k itself,

I've been saying that with the NW flow we've been stuck under all year. :P

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 21
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

I definitely wouldn't mind more moisture, but I'll take dry air over high humidity.

Yes, very few native trees, but tons of planted ones that grow fine. 

attachicon.gifPark-Hill.png

attachicon.gifWashington-Park-aerialDenver-aerial018.jpg

Occasional snowstorms in May and September...but also days near 70 in mid winter. The variety in all seasons is pretty cool, I think. Rarely super hot or super cold for long. Just wish we got more precip overall.

Not the same having just planted trees.     And no natural lakes.   

We also have numerous days every winter where we are out doing yardwork in sweatshirts or even in t-shirts.     Its not cold enough to be annoying here.     The persistent rain is the biggest downside obviously.     

For me? Not enough severe weather, maybe a bit too cold also.

I'd take Eastern Montana. For me, decent balance between not enough and too much. Threat of tornadoes sucking up your home very low but you'd pretty much guarantee some severe weather every year clockwork.

Though a drawback for me would be cold/snow in the winter. I'm not a lover of that. If you can find me a town that gets only a few inches and one cold snap in a years time let me know ;)

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 21
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 

Severe storms: 2