August 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

12Z ECMWF at 144 hours looks like the 12Z GFS at the same time.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf/2016082312/ecmwf_z500_mslp_namer_7.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

A little more troughy than the GFS at 168 hours:

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf/2016082312/ecmwf_z500_mslp_namer_8.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Chilly morning with a low of 47° here. 

Would be nice to get some showers into the region soon.

Not too much on the GFS.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Tim should have been on mod preview a long time ago in my opinion. While Tim and Phil go back and forth at each other, it's Tim that is antagonizing to the point where Phil (and lately many more members) will step up and say something. Just hiding the issue won't solve anything... eliminating the root of the issue is what needs to happen. Just my 2 cents

Tim being put on strict mod preview, or banned, would be the best thing to happen to this forum since December 2008.

• Like 3

Much more troughy than GFS at 192 hours:

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf/2016082312/ecmwf_z500_mslp_namer_9.png

ECMWF really likes the gulf 'cane idea. Will it destroy the other models again?

ECMWF really likes the gulf 'cane idea. Will it destroy the other models again?

I was just going to point that out... definitely continuing the idea of a hurricane in the Gulf.   

Not good.    Particularly if it moves into LA.  

ECMWF ensemble mean agrees well with the operational run for the weekend and then is even more troughy for later next week.

http://stream.ecmwf.int/data/atls12/data/data01/scratch/ps2png-atls12-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119a05a8d-w95f14.png

Portland actually has the third coolest summer climate of any major city in the Lower 48.

Almost any major metro area in the US will seem like a summer "hotbox" when compared to Seattle. San Francisco being the only exception. Even Fairbanks, Alaska has warmer average highs in July.

In short, I want the three minutes of my life I wasted reading that blog update back.

Portland actually has the third coolest summer climate of any major city in the Lower 48.

Almost any major metro area in the US will seem like a summer "hotbox" when compared to Seattle. San Francisco being the only exception. Even Fairbanks, Alaska has warmer average highs in July.

In short, I want the three minutes of my life I wasted reading that blog update back.

Obviously it was tongue-in-cheek to get an audience.   

Phil... what are the most useful analogs right now in your opinion going into fall and early winter?

I'm not sure yet, but whatever analogs I use, they're all going to be -ENSO/+QBO, weighted towards low and/or declining solar forcing.

I'm not sure yet, but whatever analogs I use, they're all going to be -ENSO/+QBO, weighted towards low and/or declining solar forcing.

OK. It will be interesting to see the list. Your list in spring worked well overall.

At least for the next three days.

This sneaky little heatwave, breaking up two majestically cold troughs, could end up being fairly impressive.

Don't you ever get tired of every heatwave overachieving and every trough miserably underachiving? It gets so boring.

I thought you were all about diversity?

Don't you ever get tired of every heatwave overachieving and every trough miserably underachiving? It gets so boring.

I thought you were all about diversity?

Yesterday was like a serious negative departure day. We could conceivably be in the upper 90's in a couple days.

Tired or not, that's diverse.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I do, I do!

Along with seeing monthly/seasonal nationwide temperature anomaly maps that show a lot of yellow, orange and red, with only a few small patches of green and blue.

Rumor has it that another ice age is quickly approaching.   :)