November 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Gradient Keeper

*Crickets* ......

I happen to really like 00z GFS(Upstream) Persistent ridging/anomaly over the North Pacific nosing near the Aleutians which could be good if amplification takes place and exactly where it sets up. A good ways to go to be "good", but it's far better than the stubborn GOA vortex. Signs an Omega block might be setting up after day 10. So far out one can only speculate and only barely at that.

Watch what happens if that flat Aleutian ridge decides to stick around for awhile. For the sake of this forum, I hope it doesn't.

Flat ridge phobia!!!

Haha, yeah pretty much. I wouldn't be as worried if the Niña convective state were stronger (hence better synchronization w/ fluxes under QBO). Can't rely on that if intraseasonal forcing is dominating.

I'd be surprised if we don't get decent mountain pack again this winter. If a Super Nino gave K-Falls 2x normal snowfall, no snow this winter would be a total fluke at the least.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Flat ridge phobia!!!

:( :(

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/57788D99-5A4D-4DD1-AA53-5D6FCF34B267_zpsjletxumu.gif

• Like 1

360 hrs out, anyhoo. The world may have descended into Trump anarchy by that point.

Not to get political, but if by some unforeseen chance Trump does win, I'd be concerned about any violence, rioting, civil disobedience, etc coming from the liberal left/democractic supporters. You rarely if ever see conservatives doing any of those things. Okay, back to Weather.

• Like 3

Not to get political, but if by some unforeseen chance Trump does win, I'd be concerned about any violence, rioting, civil disobedience, etc coming from the liberal left/democractic supporters. You rarely if ever see conservatives doing any of those things. Okay, back to Weather.

As long as we don't lose access to the Euro, I'm good.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

I have seen posts and interviews with redneck militia types stockpiling weapons for a civil war if Hillary happens to win!  

I am more concerned the other way with the potential for problems.   Trump has his supporters so convinced that the entire system is rigged that they are a powder keg waiting to go off.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

SEA broke their record high by 4 degrees today. Yawn.

I was 5 away from record of 68 in 1978. While 70+ is possible here it is hard to come by. I was actually delighted I was in the 60's today, comparing to the last half dozen November's I have experienced.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

360 hrs out, anyhoo. The world may have descended into Trump anarchy by that point.

Not taking that verbatim, obviously. Just pointing out that the climatological loading pattern for a GOA vortex is indeed a flat aleutian ridge. Can be an incredibly self-sustaining dynamic.

• Like 1

I have seen posts and interviews with redneck militia types stockpiling weapons for a civil war if Hillary happens to win!  

I am more concerned the other way with the potential for problems.   Trump has his supporters so convinced that the entire system is rigged that they are a powder keg waiting to go off.

I've seen posts and interviews from astrophysicists that the sky is blue, doesn't mean it's true!

You should probably start stockpiling weapons to protect yourself either way.

A forum for the end of the world.

You should probably start stockpiling weapons to protect yourself either way.

Right.  

Rob brought it up.   I think the chance for problems is higher if Clinton wins.    Not that there is much of a chance either way.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Right.  

Rob brought it up.   I think the chance for problems is higher if Clinton wins.    Not that there is much of a chance either way.

Well, I kind of did, but kind of didn't too. Either way, yeah we all know there likely will be some disgruntled, angry, ignorant folks who might do something. That would be very stupid on their behalf.

Way to not take it there, in this thread.

Its the eve of the election... and the subject of problems after the election was mentioned.     Relax Jared.    ;)

*Crickets* ......

I happen to really like 00z GFS(Upstream) Persistent ridging/anomaly over the North Pacific nosing near the Aleutians which could be good if amplification takes place and exactly where it sets up. A good ways to go to be "good", but it's far better than the stubborn GOA vortex. Signs an Omega block might be setting up after day 10. So far out one can only speculate and only barely at that.

I hope you guys get some cold air!  00z GFS shows us getting nice and cold for us in the day 7-8 timezone. Looking like a decent snow storm to sea level. Just need something to carry that chilly air your way I think. I don't know enough three letter acronyms to figure out what one it will be, though. Will be interesting to watch!

• Like 1

"There are so many waves coming in all the time, you don't have to worry about that. Take your time—wave come. Let the other guys go; catch another one." -Duke Kahanamoku