December 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

This place is comedy

I think everyone on here needs medication to tell you the truth.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I am not saying this won't happen, just saying that we can't just discount models because we don't like what they say.

Yes we can...and we will!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I have never noticed a warm bias on the GFS

It mostly around day 4 or 5 when we are dealing with offshore ridging.  It usually sees it well beyond that and before that, but anything that happens in that time frame is often warm biased.  I've mentioned it many times on here.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

If I remember right the models had a general handle on the pattern in the short range, but ended up with horrible consistency and continuity issues along with large differences when the 'event' got within 24-72 hours.

Thogh I think that was mainly due to such marginal conditions, for the most part.

Details are almost always impossible to pinpoint. General ideas are a given.

I have never noticed a warm bias on the GFS

Yeah, this has been a talking point the last few years but I've never really seen it worth being called out as an Achilles heel. The biggest difference with the GFS to me has been with regard to terrain. It's no longer completely off the mark 3-7 days out with continental air advancement south and west. It's less erratic, so maybe people were just used to what was an inevitable slowing/warming within 72 hours or so.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

The GFS ensemble mean has everything shifted west of the operational in the 6 to 10 day period. No real shock there. We're going to be fine.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yeah, this has been a talking point the last few years but I've never really seen it worth being called out as an Achilles heel. The biggest difference with the GFS to me has been with regard to terrain. It's no longer completely off the mark 3-7 days out with continental air advancement south and west. It's less erratic, so maybe people were just used to what was an inevitable slowing/warming within 72 hours or so.

Yeah I have heard the chatter just haven't noticed it myself.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Cle Elum looks cool

I figured they would have a nice bunch of snow there.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I find it interesting people, not just on here, that tend to be optimistic to a fault are the ones telling everyone to calm down. Then again I guess it makes sense... I would just have to believe they are sitting at thier computers sweating bullets until the next positive (or something they can spin positive) data comes out.

I find it interesting people, not just on here, that tend to be optimistic to a fault are the ones telling everyone to calm down. Then again I guess it makes sense... I would just have to believe they are sitting at thier computers sweating bullets until the next positive (or something they can spin positive) data comes out.

Nah, you're just being extra negative

• Like 2

Nah, you're just being extra negative

hey I would gladly admit that if it turns out to be true. But currently, the trend is not our friend if you like highs below freezing, and copious amounts of snow potential. Still time for things to turn around, or get worse.

The WRF is showing snow for the East Puget Sound Lowlands on Sunday. 1 to 2 inches for most. It usually underdoes precip in these cases.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The GFS ensemble mean has everything shifted west of the operational in the 6 to 10 day period. No real shock there. We're going to be fine.

May come down to 100 miles or so of longitude which could determine whether we have a great event or merely a run-of-the-mill thing. It wouldn't take a huge shift on the GFS to see the former, but the larger scale trend is concerning at this point.

• Like 3

hey I would gladly admit that if it turns out to be true. But currently, the trend is not our friend if you like highs below freezing, and copious amounts of snow potential. Still time for things to turn around, or get worse.

You're only basing this on one model.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yeah, GEFS Surface Temp/850mb anomaly day 6-11 certainly colder than 18z.

That combined with the rock solid Euro ensemble...I'm good.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Earlier your main focus was on the worse though. Felt like you and Andrew were texting each other the next negative thing you were going to say

• Like 2

Earlier your main focus was on the worse though. Felt like you and Andrew were texting each other the next negative thing you were going to say

It makes zero sense. Usually everyone is so quick to point out what an awful model the GFS is when it shows something good.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I guess it's my tendency to play devils advocate when people are being overly optimistic or unrealistic. I like to bring people down to earth, sorry if that comes off as negative but it is a part of opinionated discussion.

It makes zero sense. Usually everyone is so quick to point out what an awful model the GFS is when it shows something good.

it makes complete sense when the same people eager to throw out the gfs are the ones eager to hold on to it when it is the only model showing something good.

Due to the waffling GFS runs I've had to post this in my FB group. Lol

If for some unforeseen reason the next 2 days the models turn unfavorable, it is what it is. It happens. Don't let it get to you or your emotions. Model riding is one thing, and most of us are doing it, but the constant weenie fests, freaking out, being negative, it's all so very annoying and not enjoyable. Of course we all want Cold/Snow and it would be a bummer if this did not pan out. If you get upset or emotionally distressed over model riding I suggest you go hug a loved one, even if it's a stuffed animal. It'll be okay, or just simply take a break. Thank you.

I guess it's my tendency to play devils advocate when people are being overly optimistic or unrealistic. I like to bring people down to earth, sorry if that comes off as negative but it is a part of opinionated discussion.

You have to keep in mind the CPC just today made about the coldest 6 to 10 day and 8 to 14 day outlooks I've ever seen for this area. They aren't wish casting. If you'll recall I made the call for a New Years cold wave days ago.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The GFS isn't even bad. :lol:

EDIT: At least in the believable range. I'm really not worried about it.

There is a pattern with three runs in a row now of shoving that ridge to close. It is something that historically happens more than the epic event you want. People have a right to be concerned. Not saying it will happen but I get it. Trending the wrong way feels ominous because history shows us that often those little incremental runs we call outliers or waffling end up being the trend setters we try to ignore.

And the ones who have had legendary meltdowns.;)

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

There is a pattern with three runs in a row now of shoving that ridge to close. It is something that historically happens more than the epic event you want. People have a right to be concerned. Not saying it will happen but I get it. Trending the wrong way.

On one model.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9