December 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Everything will be ok.. It will get cold enough for snow. All that matters :)

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

Really baffling to look at the GFS analogs tonight. Almost all of them are from events that actually worked out to be very cold and snowy. Very likely something is a little bit off on this run.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Jim will decide when/if it's okay to freak the **** out. Until then take it out on your spouse/significant other/dog.

D**n right! This is going to work out.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I guess it's my tendency to play devils advocate when people are being overly optimistic or unrealistic. I like to bring people down to earth, sorry if that comes off as negative but it is a part of opinionated discussion.

Yes much of the pessimism tonight has been completely rational. Lol. There is such a thing as a middle ground.

00z GFS ensembles fairly close to 18z. Maybe a hair better.

18z: -5c or below starting Jan 1-Jan 8, bottoming at -11c at Jan 3, raising to -7c around Jan 5, then back down to -8/-9c around Jan 6.

00z: -5c or below starting Jan 1-Jan 9, bottoming at -10/-11c at Jan 3, raising to -8c around Jan 5, then back down to -9c around Jan 6.

Not that bad.

Yeah. Based on the 00z GFS Op you would have thought this would have been milder. It's actually slightly better than 18z for duration. After the 3rd the Op was an outlier. Note the strong blast for Yakima too. I would of course like to see colder members showing up on the 6z, 12z tomorrow.

On one model.

Yes, only one model.. the model that picked up on This coming cold wave before the Euro...is it the first to see what we do not want first too? We shall see ... history shows us that often those little incremental runs we call outliers or waffling end up being the trend setters we try to ignore until they smack us in the face and tell us to take off our road colored glasses. Again, I do not know what will happen with certainty but I am far from believing that this is going to be something historic or even mildly snowy. BUT I am hopeful! :)

Yes, only one model.. the model that picked up on This coming cold wave before the Euro...is it the first to see what we do not want first too? We shall see ... history shows us that often those little incremental runs we call outliers or waffling end up being the trend setters we try to ignore until they smack us in the face and tell us to take off our road colored glasses. Again, I do not know what will happen with certainty but I am far from believing that this is going to be something historic or even mildly snowy.

Actually the ECMWF ensemble picked up on it first. Hasn't wavered at all.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I guess it's my tendency to play devils advocate when people are being overly optimistic or unrealistic. I like to bring people down to earth, sorry if that comes off as negative but it is a part of opinionated discussion.

In my opinion, the people who are optimistic or positive have good reasons to back them up (model biases, ensembles, etc). Your reason for being negative however, is because you want to "bring people down to earth". Doesn't make sense to me

You have to keep in mind the CPC just today made about the coldest 6 to 10 day and 8 to 14 day outlooks I've ever seen for this area. They aren't wish casting. If you'll recall I made the call for a New Years cold wave days ago.

The CPC doesn't make temperature outlooks, just probabilities of temperatures above or below normal. The bluer or more purple they are, the higher the chance of seeing a below normal period.

In my opinion, the people who are optimistic or positive have good reasons to back them up (model biases, ensembles, etc). Your reason for being negative however, is because you want to "bring people down to earth". Doesn't make sense to me

I would argue having a major model trending in a bad direction a reason to base my opinion on. I would also argue that people who are optimistic are that way oftentimes because they desire a certain outcome.

• Like 1

I would argue having a major model trending in a bad direction a reason to base my opinion on. I would also argue that people who are optimistic are that way oftentimes because they desire a certain outcome.

The gfs has been great, up until ~5 days out, then the Euro seems to swoop in and take over. Will it work that way everytime? No. Will it work that way this time around? We'll soon find out.

Of course people are going to be optimistic when the depicted pattern favors their location. Do you get bummed out when you're getting snow but others aren't? No.

It's all about the Friday shortwave.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.