2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

Fire containment is improving nicely as temps lower and rain chances increase. Over 2 inches of rain occurred on 9/15/15 from remnants of Dolores. This summer has similarities including easing the fire season in SoCal, thus far.

Troughs are our friend

post-226-0-13495500-1505238588_thumb.jpg

I hope the end of summer/ start of fall features several more storms, either tropical or north Pacific.

Very pleasant today

86/ 69  

I remember September 2010 having a number of days with mid-level altocumulus clouds here in Socal much like we have been seeing for the last several days. Whether this is a sign of a possible early start to the rainy season like that of 2010-11 remains to be seen, but I just thought that it was interesting to note that the recent sky conditions reminded me of a portion of that September. It would be nice to have another winter of decent rainfall like that of last year or 2010-11.

I remember September 2010 having a number of days with mid-level altocumulus clouds here in Socal much like we have been seeing for the last several days. Whether this is a sign of a possible early start to the rainy season like that of 2010-11 remains to be seen, but I just thought that it was interesting to note that the recent sky conditions reminded me of a portion of that September. It would be nice to have another winter of decent rainfall like that of last year or 2010-11.

I was thinking the same thing while observing the beautiful clouds of late. The combination of usual late season monsoon influence and troughs along the West Coast w/ rainfall in places is encouraging. Dr Patzert & other climatologists are hesitant to predict what the rain season will be this winter but there are similarities to wet years except, of-course, the big El Nino that wasn't in 2015. http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/11/winter-is-coming-what-do-climate-scientists-predict-for-california/

Peter Tellone posted this photo of Borrego Valley yesterday evening

post-226-0-45954500-1505320384_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

NWS_LA is calling for a deep marine layer as of 2 hours ago yet skies are still completely clear over Los Angeles and nothing out over Santa Monica bay.  Weak ridge may be the cause.

Wednesday: 81/ 65

Went down to 59F very early this morning! Been 2 weeks since the last time it went down below 60's. The dew points are in the 50's more often than not now too. :)

http://disq.us/url?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wrh.noaa.gov%2Fmesowest%2Fgetobext.php%3Fwfo%3Dlox%26sid%3DKSMX%26num%3D72%26raw%3D0%3A7xx6gtmh_0eoAC0FP9JONYbGrVc&cuid=2684546

Standard reverse clearing day with the Inland Empire and lower coastal slopes having the largest temperature anomalies. San Diego reached 76 F, which is the normal high there.

We have a beach picnic on Saturday, so need to hope for more reverse clearing or more complete clearing everywhere.

Stratocumulus increased through the day suppressing the temperature for delightful gardening weather. At my location today's mean was the coolest day since 6/12. I hope we can get at least some drizzle out of these upper level troughs into next week. 

78/ 63

Its worth knowing that last September featured similar coolness [69F 9/13/16] and ended up w/ -2° monthly departure after a summer almost identical to this year. California experienced the hottest summer on record http://weatherwest.com/archives/5860. JJA positive departures are notably reflected in warm minimums for coastal CA.