July 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

I do that all the time.

My son has been known to shovel with no shirt on at all... while its still snowing. :)

Haha, I don't think I've done it topless before. It also has to be a warm snow (temps above 25) for me to shovel without sleeves. Once temperatures drop down into the teens or lower I start bundling up.

I would have to agree. Beautiful summer, classic fall, and a very satisfying winter to anyone not concerned with skiing or agriculture. This is at least true for Portland, I know Seattle sort of got hosed in the snow department. I'd give an honorable mention to July 2016 - February 2017 as well.

2016-17 lost some points for me due to the monotony of the rain in October/February and the blowtorch November. Best December/January in ages, though.

Shoveling warms you up...I'm more shocked when I see people fully bundled up. The only people bundled up are those who just started shoveling, are from a warmer climate, or if you live in a place where it gets below zero. I sweat way too much when shoveling so I can only wear long sleeves the first 10 minutes or if its 10 or below. 

• Like 1

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

Shoveling warms you up...I'm more shocked when I see people fully bundled up. The only people bundled up are those who just started shoveling, are from a warmer climate, or if you live in a place where it gets below zero. I sweat way too much when shoveling so I can only wear long sleeves the first 10 minutes or if its 10 or below.

The same goes for hiking, cross country skiing, etc. Tolerance for cold rises significantly when you are doing any sort of cardio.

Of course if laying motionless on a lake or beach is your thing then the warmer the better. :)

• Like 1

The thing about shoveling is that the colder it is, the easier it is, because the snow is much lighter/fluffier. Double the reason to dress skimpily when you're shoveling 33 degree slop.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

All this talk of snow... here are some soothing winter images for you in July.  :)  

January 2, 2017:

20170102_092511.jpg

20170102_101009.jpg

February 7, 2017:

20170206_091417.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Some of the first wet ensemble members in awhile showing up in the first ten days of August on the 12z GFS.

I feel like we could get into a somewhat wetter regime in early to mid August. Could mean more humidity and warmer nights, but I will take one for the team.

Some of the first wet ensemble members in awhile showing up in the first ten days of August on the 12z GFS.

I feel like we could get into a somewhat wetter regime in early to mid August. Could mean more humidity and warmer nights, but I will take one for the team.

Seems almost inevitable that the pattern will turn somewhat wetter at some point in August.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2016-17 lost some points for me due to the monotony of the rain in October/February and the blowtorch November. Best December/January in ages, though.

October/November was an interesting progression from a statistical point of view, however. Plus I really enjoyed the mild November. The first two weeks of that month could have passed for late September. The fact that the blowtorch immediately led to Dec/Jan greatness only made the memory sweeter...

October/November was an interesting progression from a statistical point of view, however. Plus I really enjoyed the mild November. The first two weeks of that month could have passed for late September. The fact that the blowtorch immediately led to Dec/Jan greatness only made the memory sweeter...

I was going to say. October/November were interesting from the standpoint that they essentially switched places last fall. October by itself had almost daily storms, no 70+ days in many spots, heavy downpours and coastal tornadoes.

I was going to say. October/November were interesting from the standpoint that they essentially switched places last fall. October by itself had almost daily storms, no 70+ days in many spots, heavy downpours and coastal tornadoes.

Indeed. Vancouver 4NNE actually set the record for lowest October "maximum," topping out at 67...then hit 68 in November. The fact that PDX didn't fall below 39 in November is pretty absurd as well. That actually broke 1999's record by 3F. 

• Like 1

Mild and/or flood filled Novembers aren't too bad, especially since our best winters often seem to be preceded by them. But I do prefer sunnier/cooler periods mixed in there in the fall. 2013 was the last one to feature much of that.

• Like 1

The four corners high courts us toward day 7 on the 12z Euro, but ultimately cooler westerly flow prevails.

I am about as anti-heat as I can be right now... way too dry for that.  

Yeah, I'm kinda similar though I don't do windchills well. The deeper cyclones in love to throw pressure surges down the lee of the Apps, so the winds will rip like crazy sometimes and I'll end up doing my best interpretation of Flick. :P

About to leave for Vancouver. Will be spending the night there before heading up to Hippa island early tomorrow morning.

Looking forward to what should be a scenic drive.

• Like 1

What a difference a week and a bit of rain makes:

http://i.imgur.com/WuzmmmE.png

http://i.imgur.com/zX99DC2.png

Good to see things improving in BC.  Got back from Montana Sunday night, and the fire situation there is definitely getting worse there.  We were mostly around Missoula and the next valley to the east of Missoula, and we could only see one smoke plume when we got there last Wednesday, but there was at least 3 when we left Sunday morning.  I wasn't really paying attention to the weather while we were there (too busy driving all over the place) but the wind went nuts on Thursday afternoon, I heard mention of a dry front moving through.

Where we stayed was smoky from Thursday afternoon on.

Driving back from Bozeman Friday, we ran into some pretty good smoke around Butte.  They were running some helicopters out of the Phillipsburg airport Saturday, it looked like they were flying SW, I'm guessing to the Whetstone Ridge fire.

Here in Bellingham we just don't have to deal with the fires much (and we are fortunate for that), so it was very different to be in and amongst it for 5 days.  Fortunately, I only heard of one specific area being put on evacuation alert, so the fires were mostly confined to non-populated areas.

Aside from the smoke, the conditions were not too bad.  I loved how much it cooled down at night there.  The first night was not to impressive (mid 50's) but the rest of the time we were there it was 88-90 during the day and 44-48 at night....almost "chilly"

Good to see things improving in BC.  Got back from Montana Sunday night, and the fire situation there is definitely getting worse there.  We were mostly around Missoula and the next valley to the east of Missoula, and we could only see one smoke plume when we got there last Wednesday, but there was at least 3 when we left Sunday morning.  I wasn't really paying attention to the weather while we were there (too busy driving all over the place) but the wind went nuts on Thursday afternoon, I heard mention of a dry front moving through.

Driving back from Bozeman Friday, we ran into some pretty good smoke around Butte.  They were running some helicopters out of the Phillipsburg airport Saturday, it looked like they were flying SW, I'm guessing to the Whetstone Ridge fire.

Here in Bellingham we just don't have to deal with the fires much (and we are fortunate for that), so it was very different to be in and amongst it for 5 days.  Fortunately, I only heard of one specific area being put on evacuation alert, so the fires were mostly confined to non-populated areas.

Aside from the smoke, the conditions were not too bad.  I loved how much it cooled down at night there.  The first night was not to impressive (mid 50's) but the rest of the time we were there it was 88-90 during the day and 44-48 at night....almost "chilly"

Three big fires around here. Rock Creek, valley 20 miles east of here and only local traffic is allowed there. A near superior(between Missoula and Lookout pass) which is threatening some homes. A fire near Lolo peak which has been active the longest and consistently sending a smoke plume over Lolo but sometimes the smoke clouds up the sky even here in Missoula from it. Unfortunately it will probably get worse as summer goes on and the forecasted Monsoon moisture didn't materialize this week. Maybe a few stray thunderstorms tomorrow or thursday at best :(

Fortunately so far here in Bozeman area we've escaped the fires and smoke. Had a couple of days Sunday/Monday of haze/smoke from the fires to the west but thats been about it. I think our wettish June really knocked things down here east of the divide. Today's much cooler and wetter conditions have aided the situation even more and should continue to over the next few days.

What did you guys think of Bozeman and MSU??

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Hope you're not planning to drive to Hippa?

Haha, no. We're actually taking a chopper.

One of the benefits of having a very large family is that everyone can chip in financially. Otherwise we'd never be able to afford this trip.

Haha, no. We're actually taking a chopper.

One of the benefits of having a very large family is that everyone can chip in financially. Otherwise we'd never be able to afford this trip.

That place is VERY expensive... like $5K per person for 3 nights!   

That place is VERY expensive... like $5K per person for 3 nights!

Yep. We've all been saving up for ~ 2 years.

I'm glad I did, though.

Are you in Canada yet, Phil? Ehhh?

You also went right by the famous KBLI. :)

We're on I-5 just south of Bellingham. My uncle left his wallet back home earlier, so we lost an hour.

Lovely view:

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/78B237F7-FAB2-49D9-A04A-277C0B8798FF_zpsy55lmseh.jpg

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/C7EE971B-E387-45E0-AC4C-5BE4F94B0922_zpson3kefbm.jpg

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/7FD11BB3-0AED-42E0-9474-C033A70EAA26_zpsepxnpbjx.jpg

• Like 1