October 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

stuffradio

I don’t see the difference between gushing about what a gorgeous day this is and saying it’s a little too warm for my liking for this late. Both are expressing known opinions. The only difference is that most of the people logged on right now seem to agree with one and not the other.

It's the same as people talking about how awesome it is when it snows. Positivity just sells better than whining.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

It's the same as people talking about how awesome it is when it snows. Positivity just sells better than whining.

I made a post about it feeling pretty freakishly warm for this late and the dogpile ensued. The whining about my whining has taken a lot longer to work through than the original observation. :)

You always have the option to not comment if you don’t like it.

I made a post about it feeling pretty freakishly warm for this late and the dogpile ensued. The whining about my whining has taken a lot longer to work through than the original observation. :)

You always have the option to not comment if you don’t like it.

Jesse vs. The Warmth Loving World.

A loose sequel to Joe vs. The Volcano. Hopefully it gets better reviews. Maybe they can write in the fact the ash cloud leads to another year without a summer. In Hollywood it can snow on the Fourth of July!!!

• Like 1

Up to 72 at PDX now. The warmer air aloft must be mixing down today, meaning we probably aren’t seeing a true gap wind.

Record to beat is 75 from 1944. Could be close.

Definitely mixed out better today than I thought it would. Even the Puget Sound appears to be making it out of the 40's in some locations.

Just goes to show how tenuous these setups are in this little transition window.

• Like 1

Jesse vs. The Warmth Loving World.

A loose sequel to Joe vs. The Volcano. Hopefully it gets better reviews. Maybe they can write in the fact the ash cloud leads to another year without a summer. In Hollywood it can snow on the Fourth of July!!!

What a bunch of trash. Anyway, I think you have it in you to let a post about me saying today feels freakishly warm slide. Or maybe not. You can’t totally blame me when it mushrooms like this though. Speaking of which, Timmy should get over here and harvest!

Up to 72 at PDX now. The warmer air aloft must be mixing down today, meaning we probably aren’t seeing a true gap wind.

Record to beat is 75 from 1944. Could be close.

I'm thinking the same thing, and probably should have thought about it this morning when I wasn't expecting 70. Much warmer column overhead today. 17.8c this morning vs 7.2c yesterday morning over SLE. 

I'm thinking the same thing, and probably should have thought about it this morning when I wasn't expecting 70. Much warmer column overhead today. 17.8c this morning vs 7.2c yesterday morning over SLE.

Yeah today’s upper airmass has trended impressively warm. Close to rivaling the crazy airmass on Tuesday, but with better mixing it seems.

Nope. October 26-28, 2003.

Also October 26-27, 1944.

October 20-26, 1965 had 7 straight above 73 (!) but we're now a day later in the calendar.

Looks like many of today’s records up this way are from 1944. Looks like we may be a little short most places, but there could be some close calls

What a bunch of trash. Anyway, I think you have it in you to let a post about me saying today feels freakishly warm slide. Or maybe not. You can’t totally blame me when it mushrooms like this though. Speaking of which, Timmy should get over here and harvest!

Trash???

Poor Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan...

Looks like many of today’s records up this way are from 1944. Looks like we may be a little short most places, but there could be some close calls

1944 was an impressive late season event, for sure. Produced some localized 80's in favored downslope locations in western WA on this date. Also the latest 75 on record for PDX. 

I'm disappointed in the NWS. The 00z, 12z, and now 18z GFS clearly show snow in the lowlands next Friday night and yet no mention in latest AFD? What is wrong with them???

They always play it so conservative.

FWIW, the latest MOS (based on the 12z GFS) keeps the cold in Montana. WA hardly gets cold. Bellingham at 51/40 next Friday.

I'm disappointed in the NWS. The 00z, 12z, and now 18z GFS clearly show snow in the lowlands next Friday night and yet no mention in latest AFD? What is wrong with them???

They always play it so conservative.

How about a Winter Storm Watch at least??? They can wait for the afternoon package tomorrow to issue a warning.

• Like 1

66 for a high at SEA today... sunny from start to finish there and at my house.

The drive along I-90 from Issaquah to North Bend is gorgeous right now...

20171027_142654.jpg

20171027_142839.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

10/27/17 5:09 PM 18z GFS 500mb Composite Analogs

Day 6-10, 8-14 (*1985 popped up 6 times now!)

Correlation score needs to improve, but that is one sweet looking pattern!

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/short_range/tools/gifs/500hgt_comp_18gfs610.gif

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/short_range/tools/gifs/500hgt_comp_18gfs814.gif

ecmwf_T850_nwus_10.png

Look at that beautiful L pulling the winds through the gorge.  Let's have this setup all winter where it slides down the coast like this.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope