November 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

stuffradio

If the Arctic air is deep enough I find it hard to believe it won't come this far south. We will get at least one blast to come all the way down here.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I have un-canceled winter now! I'm putting my snow tires back on, and the plow blade on my Toyota Corolla!

Pictures or it didn’t happen!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I don't take much stock in really long range models, and this is ridiculously extreme, but just for fun, here is last nights 18Z CFS run for December.

attachicon.gifDOXOWfJXkAAnzei.jpg

Holy crap!  That would be 1884 territory.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The ECMWF is very interesting at day 10.  It cuts off a low and shoves it under an anomalous Western GOA ridge.  Dangerously close to becoming a Kona low and the northern branch threatens to take over the show for the NW.  The Pacific is still shut down at day 10.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

12Z ECMWF did away with any kind of ridging or inversion-type pattern in the long range... just keeps the current pattern of daily storms going in true November fashion.   Surface maps shows at least some rain in almost every 6-hour period for the next 10 days.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

If the Arctic air is deep enough I find it hard to believe it won't come this far south. We will get at least one blast to come all the way down here.

You will.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

If nothing else this is fun to look at.  The ECMWF ensemble control model shows an epic cold wave later in the month.

post-222-0-24557800-1510428023_thumb.png

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

12Z ECMWF did away with any kind of ridging or inversion-type pattern in the long range... just keeps the current pattern of daily storms going in true November fashion.   Surface maps shows at least some rain in almost every 6-hour period for the next 10 days.

It gives us fairly normal observed weather, but with the NE Pacific in anything but a normal configuration.  Big changes on very short notice are pretty likely.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

If nothing else this is fun to look at. The ECMWF ensemble control model shows an epic cold wave later in the month.

That map is on my birthday...That would be the perfect gift!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Huge difference in the IO convection this year compared to last year at this time, despite the eastern periphery of the Niña cell/135E exhaust pipe remaining largely unchanged in its longitude.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/F6D3D3C5-8339-4594-ABA9-3E26087996A4_zps1borypt0.jpg

Wavenumber one regime dominating this year, wavenumber two regime dominated last year. This is a big deal as it relates to cyclonic wavebreaking over Eurasia, which is responsible for the weakened NPAC jet/-PNA circulation right now.

foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

That map is on my birthday...That would be the perfect gift!

The 850mb temp anomalies it shows are around 14C below normal. :lol:

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

So, when you get down to it, the explanation for the ongoing pattern of enhanced NPAC ridging is an enhanced cyclonic wavetrain over the Eurasia, arising from/through different behaviors in the EHEM tropical forcings this year.

The downwelling -QBO is likely to blame for the difference in the tropical circulations, since its influence on the thermal winds/tropopause height/tropopause temperature significantly changes the low frequency static stability integral in the crucial domains of bihemispheric thermodynamic communication, as it relates to ENSO/annular modes.

"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

Huge difference in the IO convection this year compared to last year at this time, despite the eastern periphery of the Niña cell/135E exhaust pipe remaining largely unchanged in its longitude.

Wavenumber one regime dominating this year, wavenumber two regime dominated last year. This is a big deal as it relates to cyclonic wavebreaking over Eurasia, which is responsible for the weakened NPAC jet/-PNA circulation right now.

Could this offset the possible effects of a developing -QBO?  It kind of seems like it could.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It gives us fairly normal observed weather, but with the NE Pacific in anything but a normal configuration. Big changes on very short notice are pretty likely.

True.

And normal is good right now as well.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

So, the question is, what happens when the shear-stress cycle completes its run (as the downwelling QBO easterlies reach the crucial 50mb domain) and we lose the harmonious thermomechanical network that's assisted in maintaining these poleward NPAC anticyclones?

As of now, it's anyone's guess, but at the very least, something in the pattern is likely to change in a big way towards the holidays/new year.

Low of 39 last night... up to 48 already.    Still waiting!   

Zero chance over the next 10 days it appears.

Crazy you haven't seen upper 20s at least by now. 36 here very early this morning. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

If nothing else this is fun to look at.  The ECMWF ensemble control model shows an epic cold wave later in the month.

#WhiteThanksgiving.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

So, the question is, what happens when the shear-stress cycle completes its run (as the downwelling QBO easterlies reach the crucial 50mb domain) and we lose the harmonious thermomechanical network that's assisted in maintaining these poleward NPAC anticyclones?

As of now, it's anyone's guess, but at the very least, something in the pattern is likely to change in a big way towards the holidays/new year.

I could see the system state transitioning in three different ways.

1) Into the classic Niña/-QBO cell state, like 2007/08, which was steady -PNA/+EPO with the PV/NAM recoiling before dumping into Eurasia. Strong pump from the WPAC/IPWP into the NPAC/NAM domain.

2) A more chaotic cell state, like the 1980s, with limited phase locking allowing for episodic-yet-prolific amplifications of the upstream surf zone producing large-scale Arctic outbreaks. Some modest forcing relocation away from the off-equator WPAC/IPWP.

3) A 1960s type cell network, which was very -PNA in the equatorward manner (like 2007/08) but featured convection that was centered away from the off-equator WPAC/IPWP exhaust pipe, relatively speaking, allowing for that big wavenumber one, cyclonic breaker train in the NW NATL (-NAO), which overcame the +EPO tendency and kept Arctic air in the vicinity of the western US.

The problem with #3 as an analog is we're still relatively "beefy" with the IPWP/WPAC warm pool, which is to be expected following a multi-decadal regime of z-cell expansion/global warming, not to mention solar maximum hangover. Lots of thermal inertia involved when it comes to the warm pool, so while I'm not ruling out a 1960s cell state, I'm not expecting to see it this early in the game (eventually it will happen, but retracting the warm pool is a multi-decadal process).

If it does somehow happen this winter, though, then we might be in some trouble going forward, in regards to climate, given how much thermodynamic forcing/inertia would be required to reverse 35 years of poleward warm pool charging within a single year (hence the aforementioned unlikelihood). That would not be just a one-and-done deal without some bizarre external forcing to save the day.

Could this offset the possible effects of a developing -QBO? It kind of seems like it could.

I'd argue it's partially a result of the transitioning QBO, and will change further over the next several months.

I'd argue it's partially a result of the transitioning QBO, and will change further over the next several months.

Past history is a big fan of locking in these blocked GOA patterns if they sustain in both October and November.  We'll have to see if that gets over-ridden or not.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

East wind is my friend here.  :)

Gloomy here as well.

At least you're seeing some better weather.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Gloomy here as well.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/wfo/sew/vis.jpg

Filtered sun and no low clouds... and a drying east breeze.   I will take it.  

Crazy you haven't seen upper 20s at least by now. 36 here very early this morning. 

33 is the lowest temp here so far... and that was while it was dumping snow last Sunday.   Then it went up to 34 when the snow ended and stayed there all night in the fog and low clouds.   It only got down to 39 here last night as the clouds formed as it got dark yesterday evening.

Also had 34 on Halloween morning... while it was 31 down in the valley.   We had better mixing up here.

SEA has also not seen a freeze... and they usually have a freeze before me.

Is that the Kona low north of Hawaii some of you speak of?

ecmwf_z500a_namer_11.png

Yup.  That is a very critical juncture right there.  Something like that could evolve into an excellent pattern very easily.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Gloomy here as well.

It just got pretty gross here as well.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yup. That is a very critical juncture right there. Something like that could evolve into an excellent pattern very easily.

So any chance any of that polar air can get displaced over us in time for the arrival of it? Seems there isn't a major pool of arctic air to draw from.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I don't take much stock in really long range models, and this is ridiculously extreme, but just for fun, here is last nights 18Z CFS run for December.

attachicon.gifDOXOWfJXkAAnzei.jpg

The Missouri River in Great Falls would freeze hard enough to drive on. The confluence of the Columbia & Spokane river would also freeze hard enough to walk on...maybe ride snowmobile on.