March 23rd/24th snow - Working towards average by May!

Madtown

HRRR has us getting 12 more inches. Can’t say I buy that. Might even get dry slotted. Fitting. No idea how much we have. Upon inspection, it looks to be 4-5”. Been several bouts of sleet though, go figure.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

We have about 2.5” of concrete here. Snow really picking up right now with big flakes. Too bad that dry slot is about to take over. Some big snow totals in isolated spots. 7” in Monticello and 4.9” in Lone Tree which is south of Iowa City which is odd.

Surprised that temps are in the upper 20's near Waterloo while just east you guys have mixed precip. James' place is getting crushed right now. I think that area will be the winners as temps are colder with better fluff factor.

One of the biggest snowstorms to ever hit my area and i have to be out of state. Unbelievable
  • Like 2

All radars say it should be ripping here but nothing yet not even rain or sleet

I heard the column is ridiculously dry and the strength of the HP is really over powering the moisture.  On the countrary, Mason City, IA with over a Foot of powder!  Incredible...James is gonna be pissed...I feel ya!

DZDma4ZU0AM0OKL.jpg

Interesting that Vinton only has 2.5" I would be sure they'd have more than that. Also looks like the pivot point is along hwy-20 in west central iowa. Looks like we're gonna be fighting a dry slot while that band comes back south, if it comes back south

Snow has filled in a bit to my west. Looks like the dry slot will hold off for now but accumulations are hard to come by right now. Temp right at 32 and windy is not making for much accumulation. We maybe got another 1/2” now to be around 3”. Not sure we can get more than 2” more on the ground unless snow rates start to really pick up

Well, this is a complex storm.  I went to sleep at 2am, with a batch of sleet moving in, confident this would be a bust.  While it was obvious a few models failed to see the warm wedge pushing the heavy snow north and east, and we aren't going to see the real big totals that were possible, it's still a decent storm.

I had about 4 inches a couple hours ago, and we've had at least another inch since then.  For a while, an hour ago, while I was outside blowing, it was aboslute pound town and near blizzard.  Radar has filled in again, but it's not snowing that hard now.

Of course the Mason City area would get crushed.  They've had many foot+ biggies up there in the past.  Of course the bullseye veers and misses us.  I may never see a foot of snow in my entire life.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

We're approaching midday now, so I hope we can keep the rates up enough to counteract the sun.  Even with decent snow, it's pretty bright out.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Well bud and hawk were pretty confident they were gonna get 8+ and they won’t get that

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. Hawkeye said he had 5-6” so 8” is a lock there. I might already be running up on 8”, but I’m not sure how optimistic that is, I might be over guessing. Bud should get at least 6” I would think.

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. Hawkeye said he had 5-6” so 8” is a lock there. I might already be running up on 8”, but I’m not sure how optimistic that is, I might be over guessing. Bud should get at least 6” I would think.

Temps are climbing so I doubt he gets that much more

DMX's forecast put out 1h ago. Seems pretty optimistic with the 12" line going through CR.

I just saw that and thought the same.  I'm just hoping for 8".

I just saw that and thought the same.  I'm just hoping for 8".

I think 8" is a lock here. Like I said, I already have 7-8" although the blowing has made it somewhat difficult to estimate and measure. Someone in far SW CR is only reporting 3.5-4". Absolutely insane gradient even in Linn County alone. Coggon and Prairieburg are easily at 8" by now.

Airport total in CR so far is 6.3. I’m thinking 8-12 looks like a good bet based on radar. When I looked at map at 10:30am the airport had 5.0 so it seems to be falling at about an inch per hour.

The airport no longer reports snow totals.  The 6.3" is from KGAN in northeast CR.