April Weather in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

I like this new free flowing, let it rip frontal snowsquall. You may be right, I think the high clouds played a bigger role then you are thinking though. We had a pretty warm airmass. It should have hit 70.

Yeah, I just looked at the obs. From reading Mark's blog post about today he mentioned we should see light offshore flow. Looks like there was light offshore flow with winds E 5 at 6:53am. From there the winds shifted mostly onshore the rest of the day. The models didn't handle the progressiveness of this ridge. I could understand it because this ridge was only going to pass through for one day. Clouds moved in earlier than expected. Its amazing PDX hasn't hit 70 yet while SEA and SLE hit it early in March. It might be a while before PDX reaches 70.

Please get upset Jesse! Please!!!! :lol:

Oh, booo. I know I can't pull you off your springy dreamy high. Only a cluster of warm model runs coupled with some cryptic yet foreboding posts from Phil can bring back Nancy Kerrigan Jesse at this point.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I own my home and the 3 acres it sits on. Takes a lot of maintenance, we also get 77" of annual precip. Somehow the 3-4 months of reliably dry weather a year are enough.

April always sucks. Grass is starting to really take off yet we get one dry day in between a deluge of 10 straight days of rain...and of course the one dry day is a Monday. Having to contemplate taking a day off of work to mow so I’m not trying to mow down a foot of grass in May is just no fun. Yes I could mow in the rain...did it for years at the golf course however that creates a hell of a mess and even more work. People can spin things all they want but the fact is it’s much easier and more pleasant to work on the yard on a 60 degree mostly sunny day (that you don’t have to use a sick day to do) as opposed to a 46 degree sideways rain. Perhaps I should just be like most people these days and just go straight from my vehicle to the house each day and shut the door to play video games or watch reruns of Bernie Sanders debates.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

The four corners high happens every year. Having a four corners high wouldn’t predict anything.

It does happen every year but usually a prolonged period of it during spring into early summer means warmer than normal summer in the PNW. Even Phil mentioned it but he thinks it will be overcome with what he's thinking will negate it's effects it usually has for the PNW.

April always sucks. Grass is starting to really take off yet we get one dry day in between a deluge of 10 straight days of rain...and of course the one dry day is a Monday. Having to contemplate taking a day off of work to mow so I’m not trying to mow down a foot of grass in May is just no fun. Yes I could mow in the rain...did it for years at the golf course however that creates a hell of a mess and even more work. People can spin things all they want but the fact is it’s much easier and more pleasant to work on the yard on a 60 degree mostly sunny day (that you don’t have to use a sick day to do) as opposed to a 46 degree sideways rain. Perhaps I should just be like most people these days and just go straight from my vehicle to the house each day and shut the door to play video games or watch reruns of Bernie Sanders debates.

From everything I can tell outdoor recreation seems to be at close to an all time high around here. For better or for worse...

It does happen every year but usually a prolonged period of it during spring into early summer means warmer than normal summer in the PNW. Even Phil mentioned it but he thinks it will be overcome with what he's thinking will negate it's effects it usually has for the PNW.

You can just say you want to see a warm summer without trying to make it sound all sciency. I definitely want a cooler one and all I’m really basing it off of is Niña-lag and doo-ism.

• Like 1

From everything I can tell outdoor recreation seems to be at close to an all time high around here. For better or for worse...

Yeah, our climate is pretty moderate compared to most places in the country. April-June is probably my favorite time of year. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

So lush and green.

Yeah... that is really nice at this time of year.     Visually it is probably the most beautiful season when it is nice or even half-way decent.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You can just say you want to see a warm summer without trying to make it sound all sciency. I definitely want a cooler one and all I’m really basing it off of is Niña-lag and doo-ism.

I like extreme weather because I want to see records broken. It doesn't mean I'm not human. I get sort of tired with excessive heat the past several years. I get cranky like everybody else when it's too hot. Ideally 80 is perfect for me, probably even down to 70. I like extreme weather because of the shock and wow factor but sometimes it's too much. January 2017 was good for a couple days but I couldn't take it anymore. I wanted the snow to melt. I didn't know what I got myself into. I had to get to work and driving from the east side of town to the west side was horrible. Same applies with hot weather. With that being said bring me a January 1950 because I don't know any better and I want to see if I can handle it.

Yeah... that is really nice at this time of year. Visually it is probably the most beautiful season.

May-July for me. Everything is so alive and lush in the bright 72 degree sun. Even with things starting to bloom...to me it just looks off when it’s dark and dreary.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

May-July for me. Everything is so alive and lush in the bright 72 degree sun. Even with things starting to bloom...to me it just looks off when it’s dark and dreary.

It’s purely subjective, but I’ve always thought the gray skies can make the flowers and new greens pop even more. Of course they also look nice in the sunshine.

I always have a hard time deciding which one is my favorite. I am quite partial to fall as well.

In the fall you get to enjoy rain and know that you have winter coming up with more rain and possibly snow opportunities. In the spring you know its ending.

I always have a hard time deciding which one is my favorite. I am quite partial to fall as well.

Yeah... October can be stunning as well.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It’s purely subjective, but I’ve always thought the gray skies can make the flowers and new greens pop even more. Of course they also look nice in the sunshine.

Don’t get me wrong...I don’t mind the rain at all. I would be just fine with a few days a week of rain all spring and summer...but when you get only a matter of hours of dryness between 10 straight days of non stop rain...it gets a little tiring.
  • Like 1

Let's just say Tim has a much better chance at convincing me I didn't feel like it was humid today.

You may have felt that because you hate nice days... but it was not humid.    That is an objective fact.  

Another pic from UW in Seattle today... 

20180409_221304.jpg

Almost everyone was wearing jackets or sweatshirts... did not see many t-shirts and shorts despite being unbelievably hot and humid out there. Lots of hoods were up too... probably to prevent severe sun burn.  

Of course it was only 64 or 65 degrees at the time and not a scorching 66 like it was in Portland.  :lol:

Another pic from UW in Seattle today... 

20180409_221304.jpg

Almost everyone was wearing jackets or sweatshirts... did not see many t-shirts and shorts despite being unbelievably hot and humid out there. Lots of hoods were up too... probably to prevent severe sun burn.  

Of course it was only 64 or 65 degrees at the time and not a scorching 66 like it was in Portland.  :lol:

Let's move this to the PM's. I don't want to put everybody through this. Sorry I shared how I felt today, guys.

Fall used to be my favorite season, but its been such a consistent blowtorch the past ten years or so...

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Fall used to be my favorite season, but its been such a consistent blowtorch the past ten years or so...

Me likey summer and winter. Fall and spring can go **** themselves, although fall rates considerably higher because it's far more dynamic.

I'm right about this, guys.

• Like 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Me likey summer and winter. Fall and spring can go **** themselves, although fall rates considerably higher because it's far more dynamic.

I'm right about this, guys.

I think we were were talking about the best season visually.

Let's move this to the PM's. I don't want to put everybody through this. Sorry I shared how I felt today, guys.

Nothing really exciting that we need all bandwidth for DJ and Jim to analyze is going to happen again for about 7 months so we are all good here. April is the month for bitching about spring weather preferences anyway.

Don’t get me wrong...I don’t mind the rain at all. I would be just fine with a few days a week of rain all spring and summer...but when you get only a matter of hours of dryness between 10 straight days of non stop rain...it gets a little tiring.

I have trouble believing that. :lol:

It's spring in the NW dude. You were born and raised here right? Must be rough hating our normal spring weather every 9 out of 10 years.

Then someone hacked your account and sent me two more replies!

All I did was reply to your nasty PM. I did not start any PM’s.