June 2018 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Very impressive UHI effect here in the city where in most neighborhoods throughout the city, temps stayed in the low/mid 80's all night!  Yikes, reminds me of the heat during the 2012 heat wave.  Models did a good job picking up on the very high DP's across the MW as some of you noted reached oppressive readings into the low 80's.

Meantime, those farther NW are positioned to see some Saturday night atmospheric "fireworks"...natures way of lighting up the sky, as we await "The 4th of July"....

NE/IA/MN peeps look to be in the line of fire...

day1otlk_1200.gif?1530360389349

• Like 3

Gorgeous weekend, but way too hot for my taste. It feels like friken Fl. here.

Sprinklers working ovatime on my property.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Very impressive UHI effect here in the city where in most neighborhoods throughout the city, temps stayed in the low/mid 80's all night! Yikes, reminds me of the heat during the 2012 heat wave. Models did a good job picking up on the very high DP's across the MW as some of you noted reached oppressive readings into the low 80's.

Meantime, those farther NW are positioned to see some Saturday night atmospheric "fireworks"...natures way of lighting up the sky, as we await "The 4th of July"....

NE/IA/MN peeps look to be in the line of fire...

day1otlk_1200.gif?1530360389349

Sounds like it was one hot night in the city of Chicago last night.

Looking very active around here later this afternoon and tonight... looks like a broad area could get 1 to 3 inches of rain (locally higher amounts likely) across the Missouri River valley. This amount of rain on very saturated ground will almost certainly cause more significant flooding and cause more flooding of the Missouri River from Blair/Omaha to the south.

Flash Flood Watches already in effect for our area along with the “enhanced risk” of severe weather... going to be an interesting next 12-18 hours around here.

• Like 1

With todays DP of 77° I took a look to see if I could find the record highest DP for Grand Rapids.  Well sorry to say that Dew Points records are not kept. But with some research I found that on July 13th 1995 Grand Rapids had a Dew Point of 81° at 5 pm that day with a temperature of 97 giving GR a Heat Index of 119° on that date the DP reached 80 at 2PM and it was 80 at 3 and 4 PM before reaching that 81 at 5 PM it fell to 79 at 6 pm but did not fall below 78 that whole night and the over night low was just 81° the next day it was the same as the temperature reached 97 and the DP reached 80 at 1 to 4 PM While I can not say for sure but I would think that 81 DP could be the record for Grand Rapids.

• Like 1

Just finished mowing the yard. Very thick and green. Only 75 but a dew of 72 makes it very uncomfortable. It is a great workout with T-shirt and hat completely soaked. Few storms overnight only amounted to .10” here but again just west and north got well over an inch. It will be interesting to see final precipitation stats for the northern 2/3 of Nebraska at the end of 2018. My guess is as in June 30 they would be significantly above average including their plentiful snow season. I am doing all right, but nothing like to the north. Weather is always fascinating.

• Like 1

Heading to a pool party to enjoy some good vibes with some old friends.  I think her place is quite shaded from very tall and mature trees so hopefully it ain't to bad out there in the backyard.  It is crazy humid out here today.  Stay hydrated friends!

• Like 1

My family is in our basement storm shelter. Tornado warning sirens have been going off for 5 minutes. Rotation just south of Holdrege moving Northeast. Torrential rainfall and small hail. This is all a little surprising in how quick it developed.

There is a confirmed tornado right by you. It was on the ground for 8 minutes, according to a storm chaser I’m watching. Storm looks menacing, stay safe my man, and keep us updated!

• Like 1

There is a confirmed tornado right by you. It was on the ground for 8 minutes, according to a storm chaser I’m watching. Storm looks menacing, stay safe my man, and keep us updated!

Thanks. So far so good here. Think it was over open country but will give updates. Has been raining so hard and with almost constant lightning it is tough to see much. Sirens are off for now but more storm development is likely. At least for Nebraska, this has turned into a very active month. My family was nervous but everyone stayed calm. You start to figure out your priorities when they are staring at you asking if we will be all right.

• Like 1

Current temp is @ 92F w a DP @ 76. HI is @ 104F. UGH!

• Like 1

SEMI..........Macomb County

Humidity 70%

Wind Speed S 12 mph

Barometer 29.96 in (1014.5 mb)

DP 79°F (26°C)

Visibility 10.00 mi

HI 106°F (41°C)

Last update 30 Jun 5:55 pm EDT

Temp 90F

:lol:

• Like 1

Cell just South of me is now severe warned. Includes most of Lincoln. 60mph wind gusts although there is a nice looking hail core on radar.

That hail core is exploding. The rotation signal near Lincoln looks really impressive, wouldn’t be surprised to see some big time hail for you guys. Take videos man!!!!

Unfortunately looks like crop damage to corn and soybeans west and northwest of Holdrege in Phelps County. The yearly hazard of being a farmer. Unless it is deemed a 100% loss, the insurance will never cover totally what the crop may have brought in. My father in law and brother in law both farm in the county and I have talked with them about this when they had storm damage in the past. At least for now, their fields weren’t hit with hail.

• Like 1

That hail core is exploding. The rotation signal near Lincoln looks really impressive, wouldn’t be surprised to see some big time hail for you guys. Take videos man!!!!

Nothing severe about this where I am. Though the rain is torrential. I stepped out in it for literally 2 seconds and it's like I just got out of the pool.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Radar is really lighting up across Iowa. There is a nice line of storms about 30-40 miles west of Cedar Rapids heading towards here, and there is more areas of thunderstorms out across central Iowa. 

Looks to be a pretty active night around here. 

Got around 2.5" here. I'll take it seeing that most models had us getting no more than an inch. And all that rain happened within an hour and a half. Perfect way to cap off the month of June. Hot and wet. Let's hope every model is wrong and we can have a wet July.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Central Iowa is getting crushed.  Locations from the Des Moines nws office to Ankeny to southeast of Ames have received 4-5" of rain and the line has stalled and refired right over them.

The outflow passed south through Cedar Rapids, and the bubbly line of storms is just west, but it's just crawling eastward.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Ankeny, IA now approaching 7 inches of rain this evening, with another hour of red to go.

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Ankeny, IA now approaching 7 inches of rain this evening, with another hour of red to go.

Yup, there getting a lot of rain out there. HRRR suggests this will move into eastern Iowa overnight, so should be raining here for most of tonight. 

Ankeny, IA is now approaching 9 inches of rain over the last three hours.  Needless to say, there is bad flooding going on in the Des Moines area.

DVN just issued a flash flood watch for east-central Iowa, but I'm skeptical.  This bubbly line is all bark and no bite for me so far, maybe a tench of an inch in my yard.

Ankeny, IA is now approaching 9 inches of rain over the last three hours.  Needless to say, there is bad flooding going on in the Des Moines area.

DVN just issued a flash flood watch for east-central Iowa, but I'm skeptical.  This bubbly line is all bark and no bite for me so far, maybe a tench of an inch in my yard.

I think they issued that flash flood watch because that area of storms now moving out of Des Monies is still producing very heavy rain. 

I am at 0.45 inches so far tonight. 

A blob of heavy rain approaching CR from the west just poofed out and refired east of the city.  That's the way it has been all spring/summer.

A blob of heavy rain approaching CR from the west just poofed out and refired east of the city.  That's the way it has been all spring/summer.

I think we will be able to get another 1-2 inches or more with the storms off to the west. 

By the time that gets to CR however, it will likely be around midnight so I'll have to count that for my July total. 

As expected, the strong line of storms east of Des Moines crapped out and is now just some bubbly, brief downpours.  I'm sitting at 0.70".

I have 0.69 inches of rain since 9:00pm. Now that it is July 1st, that brings my total to 10.90 inches of rain for the month of June. Not the wettest June on record, but still a very wet month with lots rainy days and some very hot days. 

• Like 1

Des Moines is under a flash flood emergency. Numerous rescues are taking place. I was listening to the scanner and it is nuts over there. Heard talk of a Hobby Lobby with it's roof collapsed, trees and powerlines down, roads washed out, cars on top of each other, and people asking to be rescued from their houses/apartments.

• Like 1

I chased today and I'm ready for 2018 to be done with. Any chase is always nice to be out, but the lack of "luck" this year with tornadoes has been maddening.

The models were kind of all over the place with both location and severity of the storms. So my partner and I initially headed for Columbus with an idea we would maybe drop south to York. So we headed towards Columbus. Made it there and storms fired a bit earlier than expected and were way back southwest of Grand Island. So we had to make a break for those storms. Made it to Minden where the last confirmed tornado touched down no more than 10 minutes before we got there. Ran into a chaser that saw 3 tornadoes. Storm remained very strong and well organized with a good looking hook, etc. for over an hour, but didn't produce another tornado. Came very close one more time with a bowl funnel and dust being kicked up from the RFD and rising up towards the base of the storm. Had AMAZING structure too.

Will post some pics when I get a chance. To add insult to injury this year, I thought I had my video camera recording when the storm came so close to producing, but I didn't and then when I put the camcorder back in the vehicle when we were leaving, I hit the record button so I ended up getting a 10 minute video of the back seat after we left the storm for a bit to reposition. Unbelievable....

• Like 1

That's a wrap!  June was very wet across the ag belt and quite warm, except for those living in the GL's where there were pockets of sub norm temps.  My bold call for areas in the Plains/MW that had been in a drought were wiped out last month.  

6-week drought animation...

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/data/gif/6_week.gif

Jun18PDeptNWSCR.png

Jun18TDeptNWSCR.png

June Summery for Grand Rapids. The average Temperature was 69.9° (+1.5°) the average high was 79.1° (+0.1) the average low was 60.7° (+3.0°) the high for the month was 94° the low for the month was just 48° there were 4 days of 90° or better the average is 2. There was 2.50” of rain. there were only 4 thunderstorms at Grand Rapids for the month.  There was only 52% of possible sunshine with only 3 clear days 19 partly cloudy days and 8 cloudy days. And the official snow for the 2017/18 season ended up at 77.7” and that was +2.8”