July 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Gorgeous day.

Pictured below is the Anacortes to Friday Harbor ferry passing in front of Shaw Island from a beach on Lopez Island.

Probably 30 miles west of Randy's house as the crow flies. 20180718_183332.jpg

Indeed!

(Pic not taken today, wall to wall sun here currently)

9D0A8809-DB26-49C3-A47F-3A09CE701E9B.jpeg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Was it you who said 75F average this month at PDX? Maybe it was a bit tongue in cheek but it might actually be a good call at this point.

Missed this earlier.

As far as all Portland area stations, dowtown had a 75.0 degree average in August 1967. With its current level of UHI it’s likely PDX would have been pretty close too.

PDX’s official high water mark is 74.1 in July ‘85. I would say right now it’s a better than bad chance they eclipse that by at least a few tenths of a degree this month. If they keep up the trend of common sense defying warm lows and overachieving highs somehing 75-ish is probably in reach, IMO.

• Like 1

That fire over by the Dalles looks interesting. Hmmmm

Unfortunately it claimed a victim.

"THE DALLES, OR (KPTV) -

A person was found dead by a burned tractor in the area of the Substation Fire near The Dalles.

Wasco County deputies were alerted to the situation at around 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Deputies said it appears the tractor operator died as a result of exposure to the fire. The victim’s name was not immediately released.

Investigators believe the tractor operator was trying to create a fire line in an effort to help suppress the Substation Fire."

http://kptv.images.worldnow.com/images/17224456_G.jpg

http://www.kptv.com/story/38676864/person-found-dead-by-burned-tractor-in-area-of-substation-fire-near-the-dalles

Unfortunately it claimed a victim.

"THE DALLES, OR (KPTV) -

A person was found dead by a burned tractor in the area of the Substation Fire near The Dalles.

Wasco County deputies were alerted to the situation at around 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Deputies said it appears the tractor operator died as a result of exposure to the fire. The victim’s name was not immediately released.

Investigators believe the tractor operator was trying to create a fire line in an effort to help suppress the Substation Fire."

Last thing we need right now is a super heat wave, but it looks like that’s what we’ll get.

Last thing we need right now is a super heat wave, but it looks like that’s what we’ll get.

I'm just surprised how sensitive you are Jesse. I just log on and I respond to a post and you get upset that my response came right after yours. I didn't do it intentionally, just timing. So you delete your two post and post it again so it's after mine. It's just a forum dude, lighten up a bit. You get the offended too easily. Nobody is out to get you.

I'm just surprised how sensitive you are Jesse. I just log on and I respond to a post and you get upset that my response came right after yours. I didn't do it intentionally, just timing. So you delete your two post and post it again so it's after mine. It's just a forum dude, lighten up a bit. You get the offended too easily. Nobody is out to get you.

:huh:

Was editing my post and having trouble doing it on the phone. Deleted it by accident. I was wondering why you reposted your post twice. It wasn’t about you dude.

:huh:

Was editing my post and having trouble doing it on the phone. Deleted it by accident. I was wondering why you reposted your post twice. It wasn’t about you dude.

I'm not sure I buy that but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I did it to see what you would do and you did it again. Silly thing to argue over though.

I'm not sure I buy that but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I did it to see what you would do and you did it again. Silly thing to argue over though.

Seems you were pretty upset by it. The delete button is close to the edit button as you know. But it was nothing personal.

Good point. The trees always suffer the sun angle/BSF wrath first!

Granted no one said all the trees here were going to die. The dieback from heat and drought in the west has been pretty well documented, though.

I really do hope we don’t end up having a situation with 55-60% mortality like parts of California. I don’t think any of us would be too happy with that.

Granted no one said all the trees here were going to die. The dieback from heat and drought in the west has been pretty well documented, though.

I really do hope we don’t end up having a situation with 55-60% mortality like parts of California. I don’t think any of us would be too happy with that.

I would like to be on the record as NOT being in support of half the trees around here dying like pigs in hell. Lucky for us, the chances of that are slim to none.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I would like to be on the record as NOT being in support of half the trees around here dying like pigs in hell. Lucky for us, the chances of that are slim to none.

Seems like a pretty definitive statement, but hope you are right! I’m sure no one living in the green forests of the Sierra foothills could have imagined it either.

E59D09EE-EEA5-4F73-9A49-9D1BE45F91E6.jpeg

I’m guessing the firefighters battling the 40,000 acre substation fire are probably in the sizzlin summer sourpuss category!

Are you kidding? Those guy$ live for that $hit. I remember hearing hearing tale$ from during the big 2001 fire $ea$on in Okanogan County and it wa$ all $mile$.

Stick to the environmental melodrama. It sells better.

I’m guessing the firefighters battling the 40,000 acre substation fire are probably in the sizzlin summer sourpuss category!

They're making $$$$

Edit: ninja'd

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Are you kidding? Those guy$ live for that ****. I remember hearing hearing tale$ from during the big 2001 fire $ea$on in Okanogan County and it wa$ all $mile$.

Stick to the environmental melodrama. It sells better.

Ok. I am sure they want as many acres as possible to burn then. :)

And nothing melodramatic about facts. I find the tree stuff pretty interesting.

Ok. I am sure they want as many acres as possible to burn then. :)

And nothing melodramatic about facts. I find the tree stuff pretty interesting.

I just probably wouldn't use the firefighters as a prop for moral weather superiority.

The tree stuff is definitely interesting and unfortunate.

I just probably wouldn't use the firefighters as a prop for moral weather superiority.

I was only piggybacking off of your “sourpusses” post. I think a lot of people would be pretty happy with a cooler, moister pattern right. Including our brave, money hungry firefighters. ;)

Been a soupy run of it in Vegas. They've had 60+ degree dew points pretty much every day for over a week now with some 70+ stuff thrown in. Curious if that might get tapped next week at some point...

If that were to happen it could mean some beneficial monsoonal moisture, but it would also likely mean lightning in spots. Playing with fire (literally).

I was only playing off of your “sourpusses” post. I think a lot of people would be pretty happy with a cooler, moister pattern right. Including our brave, money hungry firefighters. ;)

Yes Jesse, some rain would be nice.

Given the fact it doesn't look too likely any time soon they might be happier with a hotter, stable pattern. Delightful, maritime-enriched breezes here with temps around average translate to persistent 40+ mph downsloping gusts over there.

Yes Jesse, some rain would be nice.

Given the fact it doesn't look too likely any time soon they might be happier with a hotter, stable pattern. Delightful, maritime-enriched breezes here with temps around average translate to persistent 40+ mph downsloping gusts over there.

Oh yeah, no doubt the marine push has fueled things over there in the short term. But it took weeks of hot and dry weather to get the fuels to the point they are this “early” in the fire season too. Lots of blame to go around to both anomaly parties!

The 12z GFS not backing down from the extreme heat next week. Starting on Sunday it's showing 8 straight days of 90+ weather with Monday and Tuesday getting into the triple digits. Gets into the upper 90s next Friday and Saturday. It looks like we're headed into another extended heatwave.

The 12z came out 12 hours ago. The ~10pm run is called the 00z.