October 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Tyler Mode

What's the latest 80+ on record for PDX, SLE, and EUG?

The latest ever at PDX was on 10/21/2003, in a pretty memorable episode of subtropical southerly flow ahead of flooding rains to the north.

Not sure about the other two off the top of my head.

Was going to go with a rape/murder quip, but decided to up the ante and make a weather/model related comment instead.

I guess I could have chosen the middle ground and gone with something Haha/Seahawks.

Don't fret. Football season is almost over, just like winter.

Talk of mid month 80's is alarmist BS. Takes something truly exceptional at that point to pull that off come next weekend. Despite the drama, seasons still change here. For now.....

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Talk of mid month 80's is alarmist BS. Takes something truly exceptional at that point to pull that off come next weekend. Despite the drama, seasons still change here. For now.....

Football season will likely outlast winter.

I expect lots of cherry blossoms and green grass by Super Bowl Sunday.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

There have been some pretty warm runs for the period. I didn't say it was going to happen, just that it is an outside chance at this point. I think you are being a little alarmist in your interpretation of my comment. :lol:

There have been some pretty warm runs for the period. I didn't say it was going to happen, just that it is an outside chance at this point. I think you are being a little alarmist in your interpretation of my comment. :lol:

What tells you it's on the table?

Please refrain from the typical "OMG we're soooo turning into Sacramento" shtick.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Interesting article here:

"Climate Bombshell: Global warming is based on 'careless and amateur' data, finds audit"

https://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/10/07/damning-audit-climate-change-scare-based-on-unreliable-data/

Whew!   Great news.  

I thought it felt like the 1800s today.   I knew our climate was not warming.   We might still be in the LIA and not even know it thanks to bad data.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Interesting article here:

"Climate Bombshell: Global warming is based on 'careless and amateur' data, finds audit"

https://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/10/07/damning-audit-climate-change-scare-based-on-unreliable-data/

I’d recommend a more scholarly source than Breitbart.

• Like 1

Portland has really overachieved the last couple winters so I dont think this year is gonna be great.

Decent part of the valley has not though so major bummer for those spots.

Guess 4+ year stretches without snow will become the new norm for the central and south valley. Ugh.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Like this CNN article?:

"Planet has only until 2030 to stem catastrophic climate change, experts warn."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/07/world/climate-change-new-ipcc-report-wxc/index.html

. Pretty scholarly...

Comparing one unscholarly article to another unscholarly article doesn't make the first one more scholarly.

• Like 5

Guess 4+ year stretches without snow will become the new norm for the central and south valley. Ugh.

This stretch is super unprecedented. I wouldn't bet things stay like this forever.
  • Like 1

Eugene has done pretty horrifically badly before for long stretches. Like 1943-48, 1976-81, and 1996-03. Noticeably lower snowfall medians down there.

Good bet that Rattlesnake Ridge never sees the sun again after the 14th.

Oh no!!!!!

I will be sure to post pics the first time it comes back after the 14th!     We are pretty used to that here after the middle of October... its why it is so appreciated when it shines in the warm season and why we try to go to warm, sunny places during the rest of the year.  

Oh no!!!!!

I will be sure to post pics the first time it comes back after the 14th!     We are pretty used to that here after the middle of October... its why it is so appreciated when it shines in the warm season and why we try to go to warm, sunny places during the rest of the year.  

Hoping for a record wet November in SoCal  :)

Been a steady light rain all day here. 0.43”.

Wow... just a trace in most areas down here despite looking about the same on radar. Lawn still totally dormant?

Eugene has done pretty horrifically badly before for long stretches. Like 1943-48, 1976-81, and 1996-03. Noticeably lower snowfall medians down there.

Median or mean? They average 4-5 inches a year just like Monmouth and Corvallis.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope