January 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Requiem

Way too early to say this, of course, but it's looking like 6+ days of sub-40 temps might be possible with this for a good number of places.

At OLM, Feb 2018 saw 6 straight sub-40 days. Feb 2014 also saw 6. Feb 2011, also 6.

That makes it seem pretty common, but it actually isn't. Before that, the last Februaries to see 6 consecutive sub 40 days at OLM was 1990 (7), and then 1989 (6). But before that, you have to go all the way back to 1949 to find a February that managed 6 sub-40 days in a row.

So yeah, February cold spells have actually been pretty darn impressive recently. And that looks like it could continue coming up.

Last February I had snow on the ground from the 17th thru 28th...not too shabby at all!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

00z EPS continues to look pretty nice for a mean at day 10.

Look at that East Coast ridge, not only holding everything in place but saying 'It's not your turn anymore' as well.  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

wSPAFuk.png

That's nice to see. Days 3-6 are probably more interesting than day 10 to me, though. Hoping the EPS isn't following the op with that offshore/cutting off to the south trend with the initial shot.

• Like 1

00z EPS continues to look pretty nice for a mean at day 10.

Look at that East Coast ridge, not only holding everything in place but saying 'It's not your turn anymore' as well. :wub: :wub: :wub:

wSPAFuk.png

Always great to see that horseshoe ridging pattern keeping the cold air in place. Like what others have said, we are in store for an extended cold spell to start February.

Columbia Basin cold pool update

It sure doesn't want to go away anytime soon. Not surprised. It is deepening and expanding yet again. East winds at my location near West Gresham have actually increased a bit and are gusty yet again.

51530675_10216660487376311_7664438748246

I doubt that cold pool is going away anytime soon. Too bad we won't be able to tap into any of the cool air there with the upcoming event given the onshore gradient.

• Like 1