February 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest - Part 1

Guest hawkstwelve

A more recent analog to the coming pattern IMO would be Feb 1990.  This kind of has the same feel.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Worth noting is that the actual upper level features weren’t shifted north. Just fickle deformation zone placement.

Models often have big problems pegging deformation band precip.  This should be interesting.  The NE quadrant of the ULL often does well in these cases.  Right now Seattle falls into that zone.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

An interesting thing about what I consider the two best matches to the coming pattern (Feb 1891 and 1990) is both of those winters sucked arse before February.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I think he's being way too conservative.

Basically he doesn't buy the cold coming through the gorge that quickly and nor is he counting on the deformation band. Obviously PDX metro will do much better if these end up being a factor.

"Two big caveats:

1. The NAM and WRF-GFS are bringing cold arctic air south through Eastern Washington Sunday night and Monday morning.  They push it through the Gorge on cold easterly wind and it’s here at sunrise Monday.  I think most likely they are overdoing the cold air.  That would lead to a more “frozen/east wind” sort of setup that would impact us much more.  The more reliable Euro and Canadian models don’t show that, keeping us in a “scattered snow shower” setup.

Notice the WRF-GFS showing a classic snow-storm setup with surface low pressure offshore and at least 8 millibars of very cold east wind blowing through the Gorge

2) At various times the past 48 hours models have been trying to show a more concentrated band of heavier precipitation Monday morning/midday right over us.  That could produce a more widespread wet/heavy snowfall.  At this point no model is showing that so I’ll discount that as well.

I’ll be up early Sunday morning in full weather mode so I should have a more extensive blog post with some “final” forecast numbers by late morning/midday."

We need to make a forecast contest! So everybody doesn't think I'm joking with what I'm thinking at the moment.....

I go with 2 inches for your area.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Basically he doesn't buy the cold coming through the gorge that quickly and nor is he counting on the deformation band. Obviously PDX metro will do much better if these end up being a factor.

"Two big caveats:

1. The NAM and WRF-GFS are bringing cold arctic air south through Eastern Washington Sunday night and Monday morning.  They push it through the Gorge on cold easterly wind and it’s here at sunrise Monday.  I think most likely they are overdoing the cold air.  That would lead to a more “frozen/east wind” sort of setup that would impact us much more.  The more reliable Euro and Canadian models don’t show that, keeping us in a “scattered snow shower” setup.

Notice the WRF-GFS showing a classic snow-storm setup with surface low pressure offshore and at least 8 millibars of very cold east wind blowing through the Gorge

2) At various times the past 48 hours models have been trying to show a more concentrated band of heavier precipitation Monday morning/midday right over us.  That could produce a more widespread wet/heavy snowfall.  At this point no model is showing that so I’ll discount that as well.

I’ll be up early Sunday morning in full weather mode so I should have a more extensive blog post with some “final” forecast numbers by late morning/midday."

You think the GEM is better than the GFS?  Not saying your wrong, but I'm far from sure of that.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Been awhile since Dewey has popped on and made a comment subtly implying he thinks we’re all idiots. I find it grounding sometimes.

He's just pretending to not be one himself.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Worth noting is that the actual upper level features weren’t shifted north. Just fickle deformation zone placement.

Actually did change slightly.   Here is the comparison at 4 a.m. on Monday:

00Z run...

ecmwf-rh500-nw-11.png

And the 12Z run...

ecmwf-rh500-nw-9.png

Enough to change the results in the Seattle area dramatically.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

"Two big caveats:

[*]The NAM and WRF-GFS are bringing cold arctic air south through Eastern Washington Sunday night and Monday morning. They push it through the Gorge on cold easterly wind and it’s here at sunrise Monday. I think most likely they are overdoing the cold air. That would lead to a more “frozen/east wind” sort of setup that would impact us much more. The more reliable Euro and Canadian models don’t show that, keeping us in a “scattered snow shower” setup.

Weird he would mention the Euro not showing that since that’s precisely what it showed last night. Maybe he posted before the run. Although granted the 12z dialed things back a bit.

The Euro shows no sign of the pattern warming up anytime soon at day 10.  This could be one for the ages, especially if we get a top tier blast in the mix at some point.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The Euro shows no sign of the pattern warming up anytime soon at day 10. This could be one for the ages, especially if we get a top tier blast in the mix at some point.

The ridge looks like it’s pushijg towards the shore at hour 240 thou. Don’t like that

That crossed my mind too, feels like we are all getting away with something we shouldn't be this morning.

True.  I need to be doing other things.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Can u send me the link to the site with this graphic for wind? Thanks :)

Go the Seattle National Weather Service site and click on the observations link.  There will be a map that shows the current conditions at many weather stations.  Invaluable for tracking these things.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I would honestly be disappointed with that but the good thing though is we will likely have lots of cold and snow chances further down the line.

I think the big winner will be whoever is under that deformation band on Sunday night and Monday morning. It's not that wide and it will not be both Seattle and Portland. It could be neither of them if it's in between. But my guess is Seattle. Our gain will be Portland's loss.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Actually did change slightly.   Here is the comparison at 4 a.m. on Monday:

00Z run...

And the 12Z run...

Enough to change the results in the Seattle area dramatically.  

That's pretty d**n slight. I would say the tilt of the trough has changed more than any meaningful latitudinal movement.

"Two big caveats:

The WRF-GFS is the reason why I'm really bullish right now. If it didn't show what it has been showing then yeah I'd only call for 1"-2" tops. I've just seen over and over again the models fail to take into account the cold pool and cold Gorge east winds. I just can't ignore it at the moment.

That's pretty d**n slight. I would say the tilt of the trough has changed more than any meaningful latitudinal movement.

I agree... tilt is the big difference. And even that is not a huge change.

This upcoming pattern has been distraction city for me the last couple days.

We COULD be looking at history in the making so it is distracting!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I think the big winner will be whoever is under that deformation band on Sunday night and Monday morning. It's not that wide and it will not be both Seattle and Portland. It could be neither of them if it's in between. But my guess is Seattle. Our gain will be Portland's loss.

Yeah, the lucky soul(s) who get to be under that deformation band will score. Hopefully it will be one of us and doesn't set up around Centralia. Then everybody would get screwed.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The ridge looks like it’s pushijg towards the shore at hour 240 thou. Don’t like that

That would be a pretty cold pattern at the surface. And the ridge offshore looks like it is re-configuring itself for another shortwave trough to drop down the leeward side. Got my extrapolation boots on for that one!

I would honestly be disappointed with that but the good thing though is we will likely have lots of cold and snow chances further down the line.

That is 2" more than we've seen all winter. Keeping expectations in check is a pretty critical part of not losing your sh*t here. This isn't a favorable setup for a widespread huge snowstorm.

• Like 3

Weird he would mention the Euro not showing that since that’s precisely what it showed last night. Maybe he posted before the run. Although granted the 12z dialed things back a bit.

Yeah, probably just typical conservative Mark. 

I do wonder if the mesoscale models should be more trusted in modeling the movement of the low level cold through the gorge now that we are in the 48 hr window. WRF and 3km NAM quite a bit more aggressive in getting that cold offshore flow going for many runs now. Will be interesting to see how this turns out. 

wrf_surfacepressure_4ammonday.gif

sn10_acc.us_nw.png

GFS MOS shows 44 and partly cloudy for SEA on Monday.

Comically wrong in this situation.

That’s what a 13 degree difference than the Euro?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Down to 3F about 110 miles north of Hope.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

You think the GEM is better than the GFS?  Not saying your wrong, but I'm far from sure of that.

That was a quote from Mark Nelsen. I personally do not view the GEM as more reliable than the GFS. For short term detailed forecasts like this, I would also favor the mesoscale models like NAM and WRF over GEM as well. 

I don’t know, models are still being weird with the deformation band placement, and I definitely do think it’ll change. At least 1-2 inches is a possibility for PDX.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"