February 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest - Part 1

Guest hawkstwelve

4-frame GIF.

First 2 frames are both Day 10, same day, 00z vs 12z.

Last 2 frames are both Day 15, same day, 00z vs 12z.

The entire run is colder and more amplified.

Uf0A3Nj.gif

foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

18Z GFS more snowy for the Seattle area on Sunday evening than the 12Z run.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_6.png

Models are all over the place right now, so I do think there’s a greater chance of Seattle getting accumulating snow rather than PDX.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Good Lord... it was out through day 10 when I looked and I said the center of the trough was slightly farther east at that time.

I have been talking about the intense and persistent cold on the EPS for 10 days now.   Sorry for making one meaningless observation about one frame.   :lol:

You’re a smart dude. You’ve been reading/analyzing models for more than a decade now. There are no excuses for slip-ups like this. ;)

Just because the wavenumber is lower and/or the smoothed ensemble mean shows more blue across the Plains doesn’t necessarily mean the trough axis has shifted east. But you already knew that.

• Like 1
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

You’re a smart dude. You’ve been reading/analyzing models for more than a decade now. There are no excuses for slip-ups like this. ;)

Just because the wavenumber is lower and/or the smoothed ensemble mean shows more blue across the Plains doesn’t necessarily mean the trough axis has shifted east. But you already knew that.

I know nothing.   I make simple and obvious observations which are usually wrong.   :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I don't follow your logic.

Why? Seattle’s colder, and the deformation band has been trending north. Not to say PDX won’t get maybe a dusting to an inch, but higher totals look more probable towards S. Seattle and Olympia.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why? Seattle’s colder, and the deformation band has been trending north. Not to say PDX won’t get maybe a dusting to an inch, but higher totals look more probable towards S. Seattle and Olympia.

I take it back, I’m being a pessimist. I think a dusting to an inch at least looks likely for many parts of the region, akin to February 18th, 2018.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Seems like you basically said the models are all over the place now, so there's a better chance that X happens as opposed to Y, when if anything that should decrease confidence in any one solution.

I'm not seeing the trend you are speaking of either. As you said, the models have kind of been all over the place. ;)

I am actually serious.   75% of what Phil talks about is over my head.   I just try to get down to what it means for our tangible weather.  

It like a PHD strudent talking to a first grader.    :lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Seems like you basically said the models are all over the place now so there's a better chance that X happens as opposed to Y, when if anything that should decrease confidence in any one solution.

I'm not seeing the trend you are speaking of either. As you said, the models have kind of been all over the place. ;)

Yeah, just addressed that, I was definitely being more pessimistic than I should have been. My logic did not check out!

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

I know nothing.   I make simple and obvious observations which are usually wrong.   :)

I like the humility  :lol:

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

What’s all this nonsense about the long range 12z EPS trending warmer/east? The trough trended both colder and larger in expanse. I think Tim just likes to cause panic, lol.

This is insane..cold signal grows stronger from D10 to D15.

ku1MBO7.gif

That's just surreal. I have honestly never seen the EPS get that much colder in that time frame.

• Like 1

That's just surreal. I have honestly never seen the EPS get that much colder in that time frame.

Yeah... the signal is getting stronger in the 10-15 day period is insane. That almost never happens.

At some point, as is true with most big -EPO events (which this will inevitably morph into) the trough axis/thermal gradient will eventually broaden and propagate eastward. However, it shows no signs of doing so until the third week of the month..and there is no dynamic supprt for that transition until then.

So keep that in mind before the “omg east shift!” chorus begins. It’s a loooong ways off from actually happening..models already rushed it once, and they’ll probably rush it again.

• Like 2

There is no trend of moving the deformation band north. The euro had it over PDX and then moved it to Seattle for the 12z run. That's a single run and other models haven't really followed that. Don't think you can call that a trend. The band is in a new place on each run on every model.