2/14-2/17 Possible Winter Storm Train

Minny_Weather

My favorite thing about these calm, longer duration snows is the perfect muffin tops on everything.

Second favorite is how easy it is to measure. ;)

I couldn't agree more!  The snow looks like a layer of muffins and so picturesque, esp with the added LES now that is falling.

Wow, some impressive totals for Lake and parts of N Cook...a lot less the farther south you were...

8.7” Buffalo Grove
7.9” Genoa (DeKalb County)
6.6” Gurnee
4.5” Evanston
4.3” CHICAGO-O’Hare
3.8” Rockford
3.4” CHICAGO-Midway
2.5” Mendota
2.0” Oak Forest
1.6” Romeoville
1.2” La Porte IN
1.0” Valparaiso IN
0.7” Peotone

The last bit of very light snow overnight boosted my final total to 8.4".  My precip total is 0.41" (gauge catch) and 0.46" (core sample).  The 0.46" makes my ratio 18 to 1 for the entire storm.  That's probably the fluffiest, highest-ratio 8" snow event I've recorded since I began keeping track twelve years ago.

This storm is a great example of why clearing the snow boards once or twice during these long-duration events is important.  Twice-cleared boards(about every 8 hours) gave me a total of 8.4".  An area of crust that I cleared once, after the first 3.4", gave me a total of 7.4".  Areas of the yard that were never cleared only have 6.4" on the crust.  That's 2 inches lost to compaction.

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Given all the 8+" totals across Iowa, you might think the models underplayed the storm a bit.  However, at least in my yard the precip total of 0.46" is close to what models were forecasting.  It was just exceptionally fluffy and the light wind allowed it to pile up easily.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Looks like Dubuque measured about 6.3” for a storm total. Up to 44.8” on the year.

Really good winter. Everything is bonus at his point, especially considering the past several winters.

Dubuque 2007-2008 Winter

78.1"  Total snowfall

February Snowfall 32.5"

City salt usage  : 12,211 tons

Days of measurable snow  : 40

The last bit of very light snow overnight boosted my final total to 8.4". My precip total is 0.41" (gauge catch) and 0.46" (core sample). The 0.46" makes my ratio 18 to 1 for the entire storm. That's probably the fluffiest, highest-ratio 8" snow event I've recorded since I began keeping track twelve years ago.

This storm is a great example of why clearing the snow boards once or twice during these long-duration events is important. Twice-cleared boards(about every 8 hours) gave me a total of 8.4". An area of crust that I cleared once, after the first 3.4", gave me a total of 7.4". Areas of the yard that were never cleared only have 6.4" on the crust. That's 2 inches lost to compaction.

No doubt. I had a busy weekend so I wasnt able to keep up with measurements. I added on a good inch last evening after I cleared the driveway. Definitely compacted a lot. Final total had to be well over 8" if not close to 9". I'm at a solid 40" on the season which is 5" above my season avg already and we have a ways to go yet.

I guess I forgot to post my total from this storm. I finished with a grand total of 8.7". I was expecting 5-6, so this storm was a big over-performer here. 

This is the biggest single snow event to occur here in about 4 years. Here's to a strong finish to winter!

• Like 2