Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Looks like a 2-4" snow event tonight for me, with temperatures warming above freezing tomorrow. Should be a wild week with rain or snow just about every day. Perhaps a bigger snow event towards the middle to the end of the week. 

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Inch just fell here, and still snowing. Nice to get third seriously overperforming event of the winter.

How cold were you with this arctic event?

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Weird day here with a little snow and then "freezing" rain. By that I mean, it was 25-30F and raining for hours but never accumulated anywhere except on the snow.

Not sure how that happened. Warming up now. 

Insane Chinook winds here the past 24 hours have cut my backyard snow depth from 6" to 1".

I've gone from 17" to about 3" in 36 hours!

• Like 1

A break for a few days, and then another big system next weekend (at least thats how it looks now). Could be a lot of rain or snow, depending on the exact track. 

Socked in with stratus/fog this morning and some flurries. Its only 31F though, so not too cold. 

Yes except for Montana

http://i.imgur.com/yjM2jqD.jpgUtah and California look the best atm(nearly all blue dots), Co looks fairly decent lots of blues and greens. NM is average AZ is below average.

With La Niña, Montana should have got dumped on with snow, while southern Colorado and southern Utah should have been drier.

This has been a strange La Niña, with the opposite of expected results, at  least in the last month or so.

With La Niña, Montana should have got dumped on with snow, while southern Colorado and southern Utah should have been drier.

This has been a strange La Niña, with the opposite of expected results, at  least in the last month or so.

Scott, check out Challis, ID so far this month. Mean temp is an astounding 0.2 F or 17.7 degrees below normal. I think it's trying to beat Craig, CO haha.

There's been talk of differences between a "Modoki" or central Pacific centered La Nina and a traditional La Nina centered on the far eastern tropical Pacific...might serve to alter the mean precip pattern for western North America depending on the type of La Nina.

• Like 1

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

Scott, check out Challis, ID so far this month. Mean temp is an astounding 0.2 F or 17.7 degrees below normal. I think it's trying to beat Craig, CO haha.

There's been talk of differences between a "Modoki" or central Pacific centered La Nina and a traditional La Nina centered on the far eastern tropical Pacific...might serve to alter the mean precip pattern for western North America depending on the type of La Nina.

Is there a paper characterizing that?

Even with our brief cold snap with -30's, we're still 3.3 degrees above normal for the month.  It has been a "warm" winter here thus far.

Another series of storms coming Thursday through Monday. I'll miss the last one on travel, but at any rate should be quite a bit of snow from this.

Even with our brief cold snap with -30's, we're still 3.3 degrees above normal for the month.  It has been a "warm" winter here thus far.

Not here. DEN was -2.2 for December, and we're running almost -5 for January so far.

Not a ton of snow, though. I got 4" last night, which was a nice surprise (was expecting 1-2"), bringing me to 23" on the season. Average at this point is around 28".

A forum for the end of the world.

ECMWF ensemble mean shows about 10" here through Sunday when I leave for Seattle, and then another 5-6" on Monday. If anything like that verifies we will once again have a deep snowpack. 

Storm train is still coming. I think at my place 3-6" tomorrow into Friday, 1-4" on Saturday, and 6-12" on Monday. Of course those are subject to change but there will be a lot of snow either way.

Looks like inverted conditions return after that. 

Didn't end up with much sticking snow, even though it snowed all day yesterday. Another chance tonight, 1-4" still seems reasonable. 

Another over performing storm in progress this morning.

I am around 7" or so, with more to come. Up at the resorts there are reports of about 20" so far. 

• Like 2

Another storm tonight, lingering into Tuesday or Wed.

Should see several more inches of snow, my guess is 3-6", but if it works out right it could be more. 

• Like 2

Just wont end in SLC.  Got another 1-3 overnight last night.  It was so shallow that barely any of that was showing up on radar.  With the 00z sounding I just looked at, id almost expect more of the same with very little temperature advection.  Alta is over 100" on the base.  Steenburgh Winter for the first time since 2010-2011.

• Like 1

Snow pack in the mountains is near record levels and many locations have more water than they typically do at the end of the season. Its been amazing!

That's awesome. When was the last winter comparable to this one for your area?

In the mountains 2010/2011 was similar, but from what I've read online it's been 37 years since a similar snowpack was seen.

It's on pace to easily be my snowiest winter since moving here.

• Like 3

In the mountains 2010/2011 was similar, but from what I've read online it's been 37 years since a similar snowpack was seen.

It's on pace to easily be my snowiest winter since moving here.

That's good news.   Utah has had some really low snowpack years recently.

• Like 1