June 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

You need to be banned, as well as your children, and your children’s children.

For three weeks.

It does not even make sense.   

Even during the rainy, chilly periods... I went out of way to say this is climo for my area in June.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You've said it's a pretty disappointing climo, too.

So?

One is an objective fact... this month was pretty close to the long term average for my area.    The other is a subjective take on climo.    June is my least favorite month in terms of climo because I want it to be more summery in the summer.   But that is not how it works here.

Lots of people on here don't like our climo in the winter and wish it was more wintry.    Oh well.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

So?

One is an objective fact... this month was pretty close to the long term average for my area.    The other is a subjective take on climo.    June is my least favorite month in terms of climo because I want it to be more summery in the summer.   But that is not how it works here.

Lots of people on here don't like our climo in the winter and wish it was more wintry.

Because you can't just say it's been a climo June without also adding in how disappointing it is means you're off pace with our native vegetation and climate. If you truly didn't have a problem with climo you'd be feeling neutral about this month. If a hot June is the only June you can appreciate you can't expect to be happy most June's.

You also seem to have a problem with springs that are at least close to normal in terms of rain and cold. Even soupy humid conditions can be a problem if it isn't sunny enough and that's in April.

• Like 1

Because you can't just say it's been a climo June without also adding in how disappointing it is means you're off pace with our native vegetation and climate. If you truly didn't have a problem with climo you'd be feeling neutral about this month. If a hot June is the only June you can appreciate you can't expect to be happy most June's.

You also seem to have a problem with springs that are at least close to normal in terms of rain and cold. Even soupy humid conditions can be a problem if it isn't sunny enough and that's in April.

This is all goobledygook, preference crap.

Who cares what people like?      I expect to be disappointed most Junes because I recognize that that climo here is not as summery as most places.    If I really don't like then we can move.    It does not change what actually happens.   

Factually... this was a pretty typical June here.    The rest is just feelings.

This is all goobledygook, preference crap.

Who cares what people like?      I expect to be disappointed most Junes because I recognize that that climo here is not as summery as most places.    If I really don't like then we can move.    It does not change what actually happens.   

Factually... this was a pretty typical June here.    The rest is just feelings.

Well luckily the trend is your friend and each year keeps getting closer to your optimal climate. I wish I could live somewhere that was slightly too warm and dry for my liking and watch things slowly cool and get wetter.

You can think what you want but you did choose to live in a super wet microclimate with convergence zone after convergence zone then throw it in our parched faces as if you're disappointed. I don't know what you really think but that would be pretty funny.

Well luckily the trend is your friend and each year keeps getting closer to your optimal climate. I wish I could live somewhere that was slightly too warm and dry for my liking and watch things slowly cool and get wetter.

You can think what you want but you did choose to live in a super wet microclimate with convergence zone after convergence zone then throw it in our parched faces as if you're disappointed. I don't know what you really think but that would be pretty funny.

We did chose to live here. And we love it for many reasons. Its not perfect... and June is often the most disappointing month. Not sure what else you want me to say. It is what it is and we have the freedom to move wherever we want so don't worry about it.

You're making good points but this has all been hashed out before and he loves the attention. Best to just drop it.

Was clear around sunrise, but now there is a thick overcast. Low of 51.

Looks like the Portland area will end up right around average temperature wise for the month of June.

We should finish right about average here as well. Coolest wettest June since 2012 here.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

12z GFS looks nice for the weekend... but the 12Z GEM now shows a rainy weekend.     I would place my bet on the GEM given on our recent weekend history.

Says a lot that an average June is the coolest in almost a decade.

Weird how a statistically normal June seemed cool and cloudy...last few years the month of June has been on the warm side so a normal one seems odd now. This June was a bit wetter than normal too but still interesting that it seemed much different than the last few years.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Weird how a statistically normal June seemed cool and cloudy...last few years the month of June has been on the warm side so a normal one seems odd now. This June was a bit wetter than normal too but still interesting that it seemed much different than the last few years.

We barely saw any sun during the last 12 days of June last year and it rained on 9 out of those 12 days.

This year has been much better here in that same period,

Global warming is indeed both weird and interesting.

06/29/2008 was a nice t'storm event for the PDX metro. Hit my area in Hillsboro with mammatus and anticrepuscular rays during sunset. This was a few months before my first camera so I couldn't take pictures.

Interesting too that it was overcast the whole day, we usually need hours of sun to get a good storm. I guess it was just humid and warm enough.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Even though the month will probably average out normal in many places, I saw some cold high departures here. There are definitely anomalously cool days in there.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Euro looked improved for the holiday weekend

Would be perfect timing for a dry 4th and rain returns a couple days later. Would be great if it verifies like that.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Got down to 48F last night. Now all the way up to 64F. Very nice and pleasant overcast day.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

You sure have been whiny lately.

I do my best.

When people are sitting at their keyboards in the summer and someone says the weekend looks improved on whatever model most think, hey, great.

They need the secret decoder ring for  your posts, especially if they aren't paying attention.  Improved for you means two steps back for me.

This winter is going to be great.

My preference this winter is going to be for warm mild rain.  Jim is going to freak.

• Like 1

I do my best.

When people are sitting at their keyboards in the summer and someone says the weekend looks improved on whatever model most think, hey, great.

They need the secret decoder ring for your posts, especially if they aren't paying attention. Improved for you means two steps back for me.

My preference this winter is going to be for warm mild rain. Jim is going to freak.

I wonder if Jim will be posting anymore, he kind of went off the deep end a little while back.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I wonder if Jim will be posting anymore, he kind of went off the deep end a little while back.

He will be back with a vengeance soon. La Nina and low solar... are you kidding me? Now watch it will be a zonal flow rainfest this winter.

I do my best.

They need the secret decoder ring for your posts, especially if they aren't paying attention. Improved for you means two steps back for me.

My preference this winter is going to be for warm mild rain. Jim is going to freak.

Whatever floats your boat. I spend a lot of time outdoors in the summer and normal weather is preferential to me, compared to heat. It is what it is.

He will be back with a vengeance soon. La Nina and low solar... are you kidding me? Now watch it will be a zonal flow rainfest this winter.

Still really want to hear his take on these social justice movements.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.