January Weather In The PNW 2024 (Part III) - The Warming Shot

iFred

1 minute ago, CliffMassYelledAtMe said:

Switched to light snow on Sammamish plateau.

Yesssss!!!

This is playing out better than any model so far.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, FroYoBro said:

PDX is fighting for its life over the freezing mark! Goin between 30 and 32 degrees depending on the wind switch.

Once the low up here gets east of them it's over.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

33 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Just came back from an appointment, and it's looking like Hoth down here with the winds, I can't imagine what it's like up there.

Visibility much improved in the last 3 hours. But the drifts are super soft, and now a semi truck got stuck and is blocking the highway. 

009vc09750.jpg

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

New AFD says we could see snow/ice again tomorrow. 🧊🥶

Area Forecast Discussion...UPDATED National Weather Service Portland OR 1054 AM PST Wed Jan 17 2024

Some forecast shifts that are different than the previous forecast. Freezing rain potential has increased near the Columbia River from eastern Washington County eastward through the Gorge. This coincides with another surge of moisture from the west. The key will be whether or not the cold air pool is deep enough to keep things as all snow, or if temperatures will rise enough to keep it all as rain. Looking at the probabilities, temperatures via the HREF are ranging from 28-38 degrees in Troutdale, and 20-35 degrees in Hood River. The highest probability for temperatures is in the 25-30 degree range. Again though, the key will be how warm it gets aloft and if it will push the cold air in. Will add, that the pressure gradient from Troutdale to the Dalles is around -10 based on the GFS and the NAM which is correlates to a decent easterly wind...again...not working for us. -Muessle

It will not be snow except for deep in the gorge lol what. 

• Like 2
  • Shivering 1

10 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

I was out walking on a frozen lake yesterday and a woman approached me out on the ice and said she grew up in Minnesota but moved to Florida for high school and hadn't seen a frozen lake since she was a kid. She said she was driving by and saw me out on the ice and felt a wave of nostalgia and started crying. Really a sweet moment. She apologized for crying and interrupting me and I told her she probably picked the ONE person just as excited about the ice as she was. 😅

Wow that’s a great story! Weather brings us together! 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, RCola said:

This event will definitely go down as one of the most painful for Seattle snow lovers. I've never experienced such a string of near misses one after another like this. Too south, too north, too east, too west. I hope our luck changes before winter is over.

It's snowing pretty close to you now.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

34 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I think about that with my own kids. We get so much snow here, will it not be something they care about when they are older, or will it bring back good memories and they will long for it if they live somewhere they don't get as much. 

My wife grew up in South Central Oregon where they get quite a bit of snow, it's not a big deal for her. She's more of the opinion it's nice for a little while, as long as there is not too much and it melts within a day or two. She also doesn't like the wet slob we almost always get here. 

I will also say my kids LOVED the sleet/ice combo. I couldn't keep them inside the past few days. Usually with snow they'll go out for an hour or so and then get soaked and cold and come in. 

I would say I'm the type where I hope for a lot, then a week of melting and then a bunch again after it's gone. Also easier to keep records of (no worries of wind or weird re-freezing to mess up records).

@MossManhow much do you have?

• Like 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

3 minutes ago, RCola said:

This event will definitely go down as one of the most painful for Seattle snow lovers. I've never experienced such a string of near misses one after another like this. Too south, too north, too east, too west. I hope our luck changes before winter is over.

Not just Seattle. I’d say entire Puget Sound south of Whatcom. Even areas that normally do pretty decent hardly saw much in the last two weeks. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Weiner Warrior said:

IMG_20240117_131911.jpg

Love how it's sticking right away.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, DeepFriedEgg said:

Weenie post:
All the whining from northern folk and it seems like a good portion of you ended up with more snow than me here in PDX metro… (1/4in before it turned into sleet).

Mid and south valley had it even worse. Sleet but mostly destructive ZR.

You had 1/4" in Cedar Mill? I think the battle zone was probably right near us then, as we had about 3" of snow/sleet here in Bethany, with at least 2" of that being snow. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

I was out walking on a frozen lake yesterday and a woman approached me out on the ice and said she grew up in Minnesota but moved to Florida for high school and hadn't seen a frozen lake since she was a kid. She said she was driving by and saw me out on the ice and felt a wave of nostalgia and started crying. Really a sweet moment. She apologized for crying and interrupting me and I told her she probably picked the ONE person just as excited about the ice as she was. 😅

did you tell her your handle on here?

• lol 1
  • Popcorn 1

Just now, snow_wizard said:

It's snowing pretty close to you now.

All the more painful. The rain snow line is just about at Mercer Island from my drive over to Bellevue. No way it makes it downtown. It's just too warm unfortunately. 

• Sad 1

Just now, SnowWillarrive said:

Not just Seattle. I’d say entire Puget Sound south of Whatcom. Even areas that normally do pretty decent hardly saw much in the last two weeks. 

Have you seen the latest reports of snow on the forum.  This might work out for a little bit here.

• Thanks 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, RCola said:

All the more painful. The rain snow line is just about at Mercer Island from my drive over to Bellevue. No way it makes it downtown. It's just too warm unfortunately. 

I saw somebody from Seattle report snow.  Not sure what part.  The air mass is getting colder as we speak BTW.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

I agree, and I know climatology is what it is around these parts. But it's pretty sad that a cold outbreak of this magnitude produced maybe one good hour of a snow shower as the arctic front pulled through and that was it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LowerGarfield said:

I would say I'm the type where I hope for a lot, then a week of melting and then a bunch again after it's gone. Also easier to keep records of (no worries of wind or weird re-freezing to mess up records).

@MossManhow much do you have?

2”! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

16 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Very cool story!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, RCola said:

I agree, and I know climatology is what it is around these parts. But it's pretty sad that a cold outbreak of this magnitude produced maybe one good hour of a snow shower as the arctic front pulled through and that was it.

Why are you giving up?  You could still get some.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I saw somebody from Seattle report snow.  Not sure what part.  The air mass is getting colder as we speak BTW.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't count on it all the way to downtown at sea level. It just wasn't meant to be this round, or the last several rounds for that matter. We've just been in the same marginal pattern many times. Maybe we see flakes but nothing of lasting value.

Fingers crossed some El Nina magic happens in February to deliver us just an inch of snow. 

Federal Way peaked at 41 and is now back to 36.  The warm bubble has already peaked.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

24 minutes ago, Snowlova said:

Watching rain turn to snow on webcams at around 300ft elevation all around my house in the CZ. Lets see if my sea level curse will prevent snow from getting to me or not.

Snow mixing in!

Just now, CliffMassYelledAtMe said:

I90/18 interchange in Snoqualmie has changed over to snow.

Very close to me now.  I held onto low level cold better than they did so I'm hopeful.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Whew! Caught up finally

Been snowing for an hour or so in the PSCZ. Nice consolation prize, maybe a skiff of wet slush on elevated surfaces. Nothing very visible.

• Like 6

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

1 minute ago, Doinko said:

You had 1/4" in Cedar Mill? I think the battle zone was probably right near us then, as we had about 3" of snow/sleet here in Bethany, with at least 2" of that being snow. 

I think it was sleet/snow for a while but we only had pure snow falling for about 30mins. Certainly not complaining as the cold/wind was incredible (although destructive). 
But it’s hard not to be slightly disappointed at how it played out based on how perfect the low position was. We don’t get that every winter.

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1

Up to 48F. Ice still melting.

• Like 7
  • Excited 1
  • scream 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Trying to track by traffic cams and its interesting. Might be an element of elevation, but also a North/south Gradient. It's heading south and west. Carnation is now snow. Unincorporated east Redmond is snowing, but a little further west on the hill isn't yet. Issaquah/Sammamish border is snowing, but Issaquah Highlands near the hospital isn't yet. It's still coming!!  

14 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Have you seen the latest reports of snow on the forum.  This might work out for a little bit here.

Radar is thinning out and most people barely have a dusting, if that

• Like 1

01/11/24 CZ: 400' in south Lynnwood